1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scolandry - the epitome of efficiency and productivity at Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lovemachine2000, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Lovemachine2000

To show the incredible contribution our Power Forward tandem offers, I present to you some statistics that may be easily overlooked. So far through 14 games, Luis Scola and Carl Landry have combined to average 20.2 points, 11.5 rebounds and a mere 2.1 turnovers in 46.3 minutes, while shooting 53% from the field and a scorching 89% from the free throw line!

These numbers are comparable to or better than those of Tim Duncan, Amare Stoudemire, and Carlos Boozer (hate to admit it, but the ugly crater face is one of the league's elite PFs), with Scolandry playing 8-10 more mpg. Keep in mind Scolandry also have lower turnover ratio than the aforementioned PFs even with the extra minutes. The only PF in the league having a discernably better season than Scolandry is Chris Bosh, who averages 10.8 rpg (more than matched by Scolandry) and an impressive 26.9 ppg, but he does play in the Eastern Conference.

Also, Scolandry are a terrific bargain at $6.1 million this year, while all the league's elite PFs are getting at least twice that sum (Duncan, $20.6 million, Stoudemire, $15.1 million, Boozer, $11.6 million, Bosh, $14.4 million.)

And the best part about Scolandry? They are very durable players!

Of course, no Rockets PF appreciation threat is without a shoutout to my fellow former UK Wildcat Chuck Hayes. While most of his contributions don't show up on the scoreboard, his tenacity and hustle have been immeasurable to the team's defensive toughness.

2. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

Yeah, they have been playing very well this season till now. Each night, atleast one of them step up.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Consistency would be nice especially from Scola, but make no mistake about it: i'm happy to have all of our guys at PF.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I see what you're getting at, but for this to be accurate, you have to consider the production of those other PF's primary back ups.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Exactly.

And the fact remains that each of them has glaring weaknesses, which is why you have to group 2 or 3 players into one. Scola is slow-footed, unathletic, poor at defense. Hayes is undersized and offensively inept.

Landry has a chance to be the best of the bunch because his biggest weakness is lack of experience. He is still making unnecessary mistakes out there (bad fouls, forgetting to box out) but those things can be corrected. Being unathletic (Scola) and an offensive black hole (Hayes) can't.

The fact that you have to compare multiple players (Scolandrayes) to individual, more complete PFs is telling.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dude, do you always have to be so negative?

Good thread.

To the OP, some people get it and agree with you.

And BrooksBall, Mr. "Playoffs? No way" should never talk down to other posters, especially not for starting a positive thread.

It's true that one would have to take the primary PF backups' performances into account to make this accurate, but I don't think that scientific accuracy was the goal of this thread.

The main point stands: We are getting good to very good production out of the PF rotation. Same is true for C, SF and SG.

The only position with sub-par performance is quite obvious...and it's not because of the backup.

7. Lovemachine2000

Scola's been averaging 11.6 and 6.4 while shooting 50%+, I'd say he's been fairly consistent so far. Maybe an off night here and there, but the averages don't lie.

8. Lovemachine2000

Point well taken. On the other hand, I should stress on Scolandry's combined salary of $6.1 million over $12-21 million the elite PFs are paid.

9. Lovemachine2000

Thanks for standing up for me dawg. And you are only too right about our PG situation, but that's a completely different story.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe he does. . .
    Maybe he the RANDY QUAID Character from Major League series

Rocket River

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I thought Scolandry was one player and Chuck Hayes was his back up? :p

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Scola, Landry or Hayes a complete PF? No way!

And there was something positive in the very post you criticized. I spoke positively about Landry, who in my opinion, has the best chance of being a complete player.

Read carefully next time and you won't be as disappointed in your cheerleader-like expectations of other posters.

13. FariyadTheKing

VERY WELL PUT!!

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Look at his game log instead of season averages. His scoring and rebounding is all over the place.

I love Scola but consistency is hopefully something he'll acquire once he's in the league longer.

15. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Our power forward's name is actually Chuck Scolandry. :cool:

16. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Scola could even be better. The problem is that Scola is great on the block and he is also great at running the floor. When you have Tracy, Yao, and Artest, there's no reason to have Scola on the block. Other than Rafer and Brooks, Scola loves to run on the fast break. This team doesn't run at all.

I don't know how many summer games you guys have seen but Scola can ball. He just doesn't get to use his strengths all the time. But he does have a hard time guarding fast PF's. He can guard players that post up but if they face basket and drive, Scola just gets abused.

Landry is only going to get better. He needs to commit on defense. He's still has a high upside to him.

17. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

The biggest improvement is PF since JVG's era. If JVG was still the coach, with Ron here, i think Rox Would be a great team, Into NBA finals is just a sure thing

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

As long as it ends up better than the other teams, doesnt matter to me if you break down the PF into 7 people. (Of course you can't play ball like that, just saying). I'm sure teams would love their shooting guard unit to average close to the same numbers as Kobe and D Wade regardless how they have to do it.

On the Scollandry numbers, if its adding up players averages it might not be too too accurate. For instance
    -Scola plays 48 minutes and scores 30 points, Landry never comes in.
    -Next day Landry plays 48 minutes scoring 30 points, Scola never comes in.
    =Added their averages and its 60 points a game.

That rarely happens but numbers can be skewed like that. Sucks but would have to add the total season points and rebounds of the PFs together and divide it by games played for a more accurate measure.

19. Lovemachine2000

Since Scolandry have yet to miss a game so far this season, the present stats are identical to the results of your method. As a person who scored a perfect 800 on GRE math, I usually don't make glaring mistakes like that. :) Did I mention the best thing about Scolandry is their durability? :D

20. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

It's a breath of fresh air compared to the Clarence Wetherspoon/Juwan Howard duo.