1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola as an Elite PF. At least he's been one for a 28 games span.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Apr 13, 2010.

1. parmesh

parmesh Member

Why must we compare Yao and Scola? Two COMPLETELY different players who play different positions! They are not comparable!

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He's averaging over 20 attempts a game since the break. Obviously it will go back down once Yao's back, but he's proven that he deserves more looks.

3. junshao

junshao Contributing Member

For me the question is rather, for an elite level PF, how much are you willing to spend to keep him though? 7 or 8, 9, 10M per year? 3 or 4,5,6 years?

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't think our bench that deep, we still need some fire power off the bench.

5. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

Umm, am I missing something? Bud and Lowry are great offensive threats. J Hill can offensive rebound and put back like a mofo, PLUS, you're not going to have all FIVE bench players playing together for that long a time.

And for that matter, you sorta need defence which J Hill, Jeffries, and Battier have shown.

Everyone compliments everyone in a way of giving rest towards one another, scoring for one another, and backing each other up on defence at ALL times of the game...

We have one of the most diverse teams in the NBA, and with a 7 foot 6 tree in the middle, it will be great to see how much they will prove you wrong as the bench compliments the starters, day in and day out.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Hahaha comparing Scola to Bosh...How many times have Scola been doubled this season? Once? Twice? Maybe 3 times?

7. kevtse

kevtse Member

The only missing piece is Camby. That's all we need.

8. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

What is is with the love for Camby?

I'm certain that he still has some value but claiming he is the missing piece or the one who makes us contenders is just nuts.

I believe Morey mentioned this much as well, not that what he publicly says should be treated as the absolute truth, but still.

9. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Well, at least we know we'll score 80 every night ... not sure that's enough to win, though ... :)

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Do you even watch the games? He's been doubled many times. All the time? Of course not, but watch again, for example, our last game against the Lakers. They frequently doubled Scola. Didn't do them a hell of a lot of good (Luis went off for 28/10/5 dimes, shooting 12-16), but they did rotate a double team over to cover Scola many times during the game.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is hard to double a moving target.

DD

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Scola moves so well without the ball. That's one aspect of Carl's game that he struggled with... handling the double team.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Scola is better than Carl......we made the right trade.

DD

14. anchel

anchel Member

Can we know hoy many of his baskets have been assisted?

15. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  16. anchel

anchel Member

17. dartherus

dartherus Member

Scola got such numbers despite being totally sick (stomach flu) in 1 game, and despite being the 3rd scoring option, behind brooks or Martin in FGA....

BTW, you can't say it's just a few games, Scola was far a proven player before arriving to NBA, and his stats per min were the same last year....remember playoff 09?He had to be double teamed by LA in the 7th game against the Lakers, after tearing them in 6th game.....

The difference with many 'elite' players is that Scola won't hesitate starting from the bench (did that in the past even in Europe) or taking less shots, for the sake of the team, something other 'elite' players won't do....

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

ofcorse u take bosh in a heartbeat, anyone would take him in a heartbeat, BUT what do you have to give up to get him is the question.

19. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

There is no doubt that keeping Scola means keeping his liabilities (defense & shot blocking), while Bosh would bring that. But we don't know if he'll play well with Yao. We don't know if he's a 'winner'. And we will have to give up something to get him. So the questions are...

Is Scola enough?
    Can we acquire lesser big man talent to fill needs without losing Scola?
    Are assets better spent elsewhere while still keeping the basic rotation in place?

I personally would like to see us roll up Taylor, Andersen, Jeffries, (maybe Battier), and pics into another above average player. I imagine it would have to be a multiple team deam, but I imagine Morey can get it done. As well, there's so many free agents that I'm guessing you'll be able to get a quality player for a bargain.

20. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Why make weak moves like that, only settling for another above average player? Only reason you do that is because you believe the team we have is a championship contender and you don't want to give up anything.

If that's what you're saying then I disagree. I say we go all out and do whatever we have to do to get another all-star. Yes, we'll give up some people but then that just means someone else is gonna have to step up and you know Adelman is fantastic at getting his players to do that.