1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

At least Florida has the death penalty.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

NO. why bother when the DIMS and the DEEP STATE will block any reform or action against mental health issues??

Those heathens are controlled by the liberal media agenda and so are you for suggesting Republicans have control over all three branches!

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No we need more guns. If all those kids had guns then they would still be alive.

Who is responsible for more deaths in America? ISIS or the NRA. Maybe ISIS just needs a better lobbying arm.

4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Not saying that but in Canada it is illegall to have semi automatic guns. Canada’s takes gun control seriously

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what happens when you try to take our guns!

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Question for those of a certain party that tow the line of no need for gun control...after every mass shooting.
    What do you all suggest or recommend be done...as I have to believe you all don't believe we just carry on and do nothing. Regardless of your disagreement with those that would like to see tougher gun control, a ban on semi-automatic weapons, more mental health laws and assistance, at least those are suggestions.
    What suggestions do the "no need for tougher gun laws or bans" crowd have?

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

It is not illegal to have semi automatic weapons in Canada. At least not in Alberta where I lived for five of the last seven years. I could have purchased some myself while just on a work permit. You just have to take a class........about the same level of difficulty as a CHL here in Texas. Which is a bit too easy IMHO.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Question for you; Can you find more than 1 person on this forum who doesn't think we need better gun control? (sans the ban catch)

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is that a joke?

12. justtxyank

-Thoughts and prayers. :(
    -Don't politicize this!
    -Mental health!
    -If he didn't have a gun he would have used a knife and killed just as many people!
    -LOL ban cars!
    -Everyone in Switzerland has a gun!
    -What about Chicago!!!???
    -Move onto the next issue.

Copy, paste. See you at the next shooting thread.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People wouldn't break laws if there were laws against it.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Honestly , I'm not sure there is a good solution . I'm un-educated about the current state of gun laws , especially how they pertain to individuals with mental illness .

I'm of the mindset that it's impossible ( or at least not cost - effective ) to prevent a single individual for perpetrating a horrific act .

For example , an individual could purposely crash into students crossing a street or hit a school bus ( something of this nature ) . But it doesn't make sense to ban cars .

I understand there is a difference between a car and a gun , a car has many other , non-violent purposes ... But a gun can also be used in morally defensible ways ... To hunt , as protection etc ...

I also agree with the sentiment that we could, as a society, give up freedom in return for protection . But I don't like that . After 9/11 there were many laws enacted to protect people and in return we have lost privacies and given the government more power . I think that it's a slippery slope and that incentives can often be misaligned with the good of the people .

This is a terrible situation . I think there needs to be some action taken , but I'm not sure any action taken will be a good step . This is because the conversation around this issue is warped and fear-mongering is rampant .

It's awful that young people were killed senselessly , and sure the government could have enacted legislation that prevented this from happening ... But at a cost to everyone. Aside from the government , a single individual present in the shooters life could have prevented this as well .

I think individuals need to take on more responsibility and I think the opposite is happening.

15. justtxyank

This is a good point. Conservatives should take a new position and advocate for the abolition of all laws.

Amiga likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, I mean, that really is the only option. You either make laws against breaking the law or if that doesn't work eliminate all laws. Clearly the logical answer.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Why would you post this?

You don’t even have enough information about the incident to blame it on your president.

Frustrating to see this.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true, if only we had a totalitarian government that could have thrown this guy into the gulag for thought crimes earlier in his life...oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait until the American public wise up and empower the government to strip the public of all rights in search of the illusion of safety.