1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

It's a strong and valid point, whether you think its low or not.

2. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This just proves that Canada's gun laws are not strict enough.
    Bigpuffery wants to take away all Canadian guns.
    Because of the children.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

LOL

you're amusing me, so let me utterly deconstruct this notion.

First of all, being #111 out of 218 isn't exactly a pride point. What happened to shooting above the 60th percentile?

You could have done us all a favor by actually linking to your source, but hey, you're amusing me like I said.

First, you never cited the year where your figures have come from. The UN actually ranks the United States #98 out of 218 for the highest murder rate per 100,000 based on 2012 figures (for your sake, please stop saying murder per capita).

http://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5/rankings

Guess who is just slightly worse at #97?

Good old Yemen which is sorta going through a civil war. sorta. war deaths don't count in homicide but damn, it has to be sobering to know that America is just one ranking away, homicide-wise, from an active war zone.

Canada is #148, for reference, which is a full grade scale better in my books. A quick scan shows me there are NO OCED/high-income countries with a worse rate than America.

Is the UN biased? Let me know.

I don't know what you're doing in terms of argumentation beyond highlighting how bad the problem is. If the United States were #117 instead of #34 in overall life expectancy, the average American would be expected to live to 70 and not 79. You can be damn sure that that would get some wheels turning.

Check yourself with anecdotal and systematic data, an ignorant statement that mass murders can't be correlated with gun laws based on one isolated data point only shows me that you weren't listening in your basic stats classes.

And yes, Canada needs to do better with gun regulations even if we have a much smaller problem with mass murders! That includes reasonable gun regulation measures like bringing the long gun registry back--and also includes providing social services and healthcare measures that ensure mental health.

It's no excuse for Canadians not to do anything just because America is worse off so I'm not sure why it would be an excuse for America just because Yemen is worse off.

I'm sure the same spirit of policy-making that infused Canada with single-payer healthcare, reasonable gun laws, and a robust social safety net will be called on once more.

Next time you try to play politics with tragedies, make sure your facts and figures are up to snuff. TIA

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

And how are people who are not even thinking of anything that will make the children in question safer going to go use "think of the children" platitudes? Are you "thinking of the children" who will die due to your apathy in America?

:confused::confused::confused:

1 person likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Phillyrocket likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thoughts and prayers.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If there is a mass shooting in a school every day for 10 years, I doubt there will be enough political will to do something about it, this is just the way the country is.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Unless it's immigrants doing the shootings. Then they'd just build a wall.

mario_v and R0ckets03 like this.
  10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

but but but what happened to "we shouldn't politicise tragedies"? That's thrown right out of the window so quickly.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Only if the other kids had guns too and could have fired back...

12. REEKO_HTOWN

Don't worry, it won't be politicized. The shooter was white again so Trump won't talk about it too much.

Eric Riley, edwardc and JayGoogle like this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, guns don't hurt people, people do, LOL.

15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Will it also not be publicized by Dems? I doubt it

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There has been one Katy Steinle case (which arguably had nothing to do with illegal immigration) but is thrown in our faces daily as a referendum for political action against millions.

Yes.... that is a tragedy, and thoughts and prayers of course to her family.

However....the government majority RIGHT NOW is doing EVERYTHING politically & legislatively based around this one (and a handful of other) tragedies to shape laws for years around the issue of immigration. This Katy Steinle case is thrown in our faces almost any time a Republican brings up the issue of illegal immigration.

That's a big deal so bringing to the attention the political use of a tragedy is actually pretty relevant with such drastic steps being taken to overhaul our immigration system and throw billions if not trillions down the drain in the process.

Back to shootings & gun laws-

There have been 10 mass school shootings already this year (its only February), and literally NOTHING is being done about it.

Don't come here talking about the false equivalency of the left pointing at the political use of a tragedy. Talk to me when gun laws are actually being dealt with AT ALL, and then we can talk about who is using what for political purposes.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Every damn week there's a school shooting. Enough is enough man.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Comparing deportation of illegals and the 2nd amendment is a false equivalency. Up until the 21st century everyone no matter what political spectrum agreed to this and it wasn't even up for debate. Now leftists have moved so far left that they want to protect illegals and ban guns.

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Enough with leftists looking the other way when it comes to mental health.