1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why dont you make a threat that you're going to be a professional school shooter?

Why dont you make an assassination threat on the president?

See which response results in the authorizes showing up at your door step then as me about the pre-crime concept.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's the key question. England doesn't have the same culture of violence the US does so it's not really a valid comparison. The intentional homicide rate in the UK is 0.92 per 100,000 residents....I'm not sure it's ever been that low in the US and certainly hasn't been anywhere near that low at any point in well over 100 years.

It's just an apples to oranges situation.

Edit - I double checked, the lowest the homicide rate has been in the us since 1900 was 4 times higher than the highest homicide rate in the UK since 1900

#382 Bobbythegreat, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

An actual threat that can provide a legal warrant would require a threat with a specific time and location. That's how our current statutes work. He didn't reference a specific time. The FBI can only worth with the federal statutes that are infront of them.

You cannot have warrant for just saying "I want to be a school shooter". If you want to change that be my guest bit dont pin the FBI on this.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The FBI failed their procedure to follow-on on the tip (they admit it themselves, although look at how many people they have working vs the # of tips and cases they deal with daily and you start to realize they have a big problem with man power). Then, unsurprisingly, many on the right, including leaders, governor, senators attack the FBI and the sheep follower behavior doesn't fail. Hello? FBI didn't cause the attack. They were not able to prevent it, and we all know some will again fall through the crack, and some will fall through in such a way that is quite bad (and they should be criticized for that), but the root of the issue is what these people are trying to again run away from. Easy access to guns that kills dozen in seconds.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You were doing so well up to this point. No, the root of the issue is a culture of violence and schools remaining soft targets despite the fact that we've more than had enough time to fix that.

6. fchowd0311

Schools all across the developed world are soft targets.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

In fact, everyone in the developed words where guns are banned are soft targets. But for some reason, mass shooting just rarely ever happen there.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you just ignored the first part of that sentence when I said that the root of the problem is a culture of violence. That culture of violence doesn't exist in what you are calling "the developed world".

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

So how do you fix the culture of violence?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's something that is much more difficult and potentially impossible to completely fix at least in the short term because it has to do with what people consider "cool". It's gong to take several generations rejecting the lawless and violent and viewing them as "not cool" before any serious headway can be made. Another part of American culture that leads to school shootings is the "fame w****" aspect, something else that needs to be rejected.

That's why it's really better to focus on the things we can immediately change which is eliminating schools as soft targets and not giving the school shooters the attention and fame they seek. Terrorists thrive on the type of reaction we bend over backwards to give them every time they do something like this.....so why would those types of people stop doing it? I mean, they get off on that kind of thing.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You went full stupid on this post. Geez.

No Worries and Space Ghost like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump going full nuts this weekend. Its not only clear he couldn't clear security, but doubtful a gun screening. But here's a question, why doesn't trump and his republican controlled Congress do something?

13. NewRoxFan

14. NewRoxFan

Wow, the painful sacrifices trump makes...

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I always know the right things to say to trigger you.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

It's always a good time when we compare ourselves to third world countries rather than the rest of the developed world. Feels good man. Atleast we're better than El Salvador and North Korea.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did anyone see the student with the shaved head's speech at the student rally where it happened? It's over at CNN if you didn't. Very passionate and said what needed to be said!

peleincubus and R0ckets03 like this.
  18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Saw it and it gives me some hope that her generation will finally do something about gun control when they are able to vote. The gun nuts and psychopaths in this thread can cling to their 200 year old amendment all they want, but I hope something will be done about it.

19. Buck Turgidson

I see Bobby is running with "culture of violence" as his new talking point. Funny it wasn't really mentioned before on here, I wonder where he heard it.

#399 Buck Turgidson, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  20. fchowd0311

Bobby is an expert sociologist.