1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Oh, these kids in Florida had phones. There are videos. I saw a couple on FB- one of kids hiding during the shooting. The sound alone will give you nightmares. The screaming of these kids- nonstop, top-of-the-lungs, absolute animalistic horror. Shots ringing out like a cannon, over and over and over. The other was the direct aftermath, before the bodies had been cleared. Kids literally stepping around/over the bodies of their friends and schoolmates, lying in pools of blood, to get out of the school.

You watch this, listen to this, and realize: in the minds of the gun worshipers, this is an acceptable price to pay for the freedom citizens to own killing machines, because the option (banning entire classes of guns) is unthinkable. Scores of innocent children lying in pools of their own blood due to the whims of a single person, it's horrible, but it's not as horrible as banning guns. THAT would be a nightmare.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For one that appears to be survey data. Not actual data. “Excuse me Mr Black man, do you own a gun?” Lol.

For two, yes it’s a complex multi faceted issue, as intelligent people realize. Not sure why that’s complicated for you to understand.

For three, other factors controlled for, more guns equals more gun violence. You’re wrong. This is right.

Finally the one thing you don’t need stats for is the only clearly true thing anyone can say. Without guns there’s no gun violence. That’s as true as the sun rising in the east or 1+1=2. No guns = no gun deaths.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It should be an easy choice between your children and your gun. I guess that why we have the god and guns phrase

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Before someone chimes in with "how dare you portray us as such heartless monsters!!", here's a gem from 2014 from the gun worship crowd:

No Worries and Amiga like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps he was a Hispanic white supremacist, but the widely reported story about him being part of a white nationalist group was fake news that reporters got off of 4chan and just ran with.

I personally do think it's meaningful to let people know that the US currently has one of the lowest intentional homicide rates in the past 100 years given that they are being whipped into a frenzy by the media. If you just listen to the rhetoric being tossed around lately you'd probably conclude that more people are getting murdered these days than ever before and that couldn't be more false. Now there's still a problem with mentally ill young people targeting schools that are still a soft target for whatever reason, but that's a problem that can be fixed fairly easily if we focus on the actual problem itself instead of getting off track with talk about ineffectual or implausible gun bans.

7. NewRoxFan

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Perhaps if the FBI spent more time trying to stop real threats instead of trying to find ways to impeach Trump, this incident would not have happened.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure cracking down on gangs and other organized crime might have something to do with it, but Roe V Wade is the main thing behind the falling homicide rates and is the reason that I am VERY pro abortion. The decline in murder rate started 20 years after Roe V Wade and it has continued to decrease as abortion has become more frequent and easier to get. The reason the decline started 20 years later is the most murderous age group is 20-29 and all of a sudden unwanted bastards that would be out killing people simply don't exist because their mothers killed them before they were born. Abortion effectively targets the most likely to commit murder and other crime in society and removes them from the equation.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I see you are wearing a tinfoil hat. Great job.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get the dig but honestly I don't think there was much they could have done really. I mean, what were they going to do, just follow this kid around till he did something? As far as I've heard, he hadn't done anything illegal till this.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What do you think of the pre-crime concept in
    Minority Report? Is that a system you desire?

13. NewRoxFan

Geez, the extent folks go to avoid any reasonable limits and protections on gun violence... and double points, throwing in a trump defense at the same time.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Didn't he bring bullets to school?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As far as I know, that hasn't been confirmed, but yeah that's the rumor as to why he was expelled. Even then though, that's not enough to follow him around everywhere he goes for a year to make sure he doesn't shoot up the school.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18. tallanvor

Is it enough to block him from owning a gun? At least for a few years. I'm assuming it's alrdy illegal

19. tallanvor

How many school shootings before that?

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The current law in Florida doesn't include just having ammunition, but if he had actually had a firearm it would have been a 3rd degree felony which would have been sufficient to prevent him from legally owning firearms or even ammunition.