1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub's little daughter, is that permanent?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Blurr#7, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I didn't know he had little girl with an eye issue. It is treatable correct?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

shaub has lazy eyes himself

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Careful, Please be respectful.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Twitter was brutal after they showed her unfortunately smh

5. Blurr#7

Um, I have small kids no disrespect at all. I just wanted to know if someone had some knowledge on the condition and if it can be corrected.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ask Tmac.

But yes it is treatable, but it may not go away. I had lazy eye growing up. When I wasn't at school I would either wear an eye patch, or dilate my non lazy eye. My eye no longer drifts, but my vision is nothing compared to my other eye.

I have a good friend who had lazy eye also, his drifts on occasion. Sometimes I'm not sure if hes talking to me, or the refrigerator.

7. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

8. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

oh my god. why are we discussing this?

Happy Thanksgiving to all

9. Grape_Swisha281

wow to say something about Shuab is one thing but to bring in his infant daughter is a whole new extreme. Somebody should be rookiefied. Next time post a pic of your own small kid and see how much you like it

1 person likes this.
  10. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

The dude just asked a question...he didn't make a joke.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Eyes crossed looks like strabismus which is very treatable. My daughter was borne with crossing eyes, it required a surgery to adjust the muscles in the eyes. My daughter had 3 surgerys with the first when she was 6 months old. His daughter will have to ware a patch for a while but she will be normal little girl with no issues or deformities or anything and her eyes will get straightened out.

1 person likes this.
  12. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

She's Beautiful

13. Blurr#7

Thank you sir! I'm not sure why people are getting upset here. I asked without any malice or disrespect.

14. Grape_Swisha281

You and I both know, how people are on this board... All im saying is put yourself in his shoes..

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Aww she's so cute:)

16. today

today Contributing Member

I had a lazy eye growing up and my son and daughter both have it mildly. We noticed it early with my kids and corrected it with a rotation of eye patching. Both kids have improved dramatically, to the point that nobody would even notice it. Patching didn't work for me when I was little, and I needed eye surgery when I was 3 or 4 to correct mine. The surgery worked for me and thankfully I didn't have to grow up with the challenge of kids making fun of me. The surgery entailed them cutting/weakening certain muscles in my eye so that they didn't pull my eye outwards.

Having gone through it, we notice it in people ALL the time, especially actors/actresses on TV (most recently Heidi Klum). Most people would never see it if it's mild, but when you're concerned about your own kids and watching them like a hawk, it's easy to pick up on in others.

With Matt's daughter it's extremely obvious, so I'm sure that he and his wife have already taken her to an eye doctor to start the correction process.

17. conquistador#11

My son had the same surgery. He didn't wear an eye patch but wore what resembled1950's 3d glasses. his eyes are perfectly fine now and all the kindergarten chicks love him.:p

It's treatable. I can't believe some schaub detractors have sank this low, not this thread but during the game thread it was coming up. =/

18. Blurr#7

Honestly you are the only one getting upset. I know how people are here but I don't give those posters any attention. I also know there are fathers and parents on this board with knowledge of this issue. My toughts were " I hope it's treatable and can be fixed before she get's to school" thinking as a father.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

First of all, what people like to call a "lazy eye" is not a "lazy eye". A lazy eye is what is called Amblyopia which is where one eye can't see well even though there's no physical reason for that to happen.

What Schaub's daughter has is Strabismus, more specifically Esotropia. Esotropia is when one or both eyes involuntarily turns inward. When one or both eyes involuntarily turn outward, like what TMAC has, it's called Exotropia.

Yes, it is treatable.

I am Esotropic. For as long as I can remember, my right eye kind of turned in. It was never really an issue because I'm right eye dominant. If I used both eyes together or focused primarily out of my right eye, everything was fine. My vision was normal and my eyes were in perfect alignment. But if I focused out of my left eye, my right eye would turn in and up.

When I was 26 I started developing Esotropia in my left eye as well. I started losing the ability to have stereoscopic vision. I couldn't focus on a point with both eyes at the same time, what is called "convergence insufficiency". And whenever I focused out of one eye, the other eye turned in, what is known as "alternating esotropia".

I ended up seeing a pediatric opthalmologist (since this is normally a case that occurs in kids) and had 2 eye surgeries in 2 years where they detached the muscles from my eyes and reattached them in different spots to better align the eyes. While my eyes looked better cosmetically, it never solved the problem. So then I started vision therapy sessions twice a week and did home exercises a couple of hours every day. That solved the problem. I still have to do exercises every so often to keep my eyes from relapsing. But if they do, I have the exercises to put them back into alignment.

My personal opinion is that vision therapy is better than surgery, though surgery might have more of an effect on infants that they do on grown men. I'm also in a different boat because I had binocular vision and then lost it while most of the kids who have this never had binocular vision to begin with. I can also articulate what I'm experiencing more clearly to doctors and therapists and little kids.

#19 Cannonball, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  20. today

today Contributing Member

Not sure what exercises you have to do, but I can still recall having to do exercises where I focused on a popsicle stick as it moved side to side and then all the way in to my nose.