1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sanjay Gupta

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by insane man, Jan 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

If you're going to accuse someone with a Moore's reputation of fudging the facts you better be right, or you will look like an idiot.

Gupta blew off the movie, but then added a pathetic disclaimer that "something was wrong with US healthcare". Lying or not, it's blatantly stupid.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep. That was definitely not his finest moment.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what is so unethical about trying to get muscians paid for their work?

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Moore's reputation is that of a movie maker. I don't think you can contend he doesn't slant his view, why wouldn't he to make the point on his opinion? Giving counterpoints, without in most instances, directly contradicting Moore, provides a different view. That's not something so terrible for the media to do.

5. rhadamanthus

1) Lol. Yeah the RIAA is giving that money to the artists. Right.
    2) Even if 1) was true, manipulating the legal system to accomplish it is unethical.

6. rhadamanthus

I'll explain again. Given Moore's track record (as you point out above), looking like a fool in comparison is bad.

Furthermore, making poor attempts to discredit his work, and then agreeing with it's premise, makes you look really bad.

7. Major

Major Member

There's nothing unethical about a company suing people stealing from it. You may think it's ineffective or a waste of that company's money or a bad business model or whatnot, but that's the company's choice. There's nothing at all wrong with suing individuals who knowingly and intentionally violate their law to save money.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Man, I thought the SG was this old doctor telling me not to smoke, eat my veggies and the occasional advice to wrap it up...

9. rhadamanthus

Of course not. The trick is in the methodology employed. But you don't have to believe it from me - read it for yourself from one of the primary lawyers involved in the defense.

Ray Beckerman's blog

In particular, I recommend you read his article for the judge's journal, a publication of the ABA's judicial division. pdf link

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Fair enough. I think we agree on the premise. :)

Disagree. I can agree with your overall premise and still give counterpoints for comparison to your specifics. In this case, one can say "yes, there definitely are things we can improve," and then say "but let's look again at some of these comparisons in a different light."

That doesn't make you look like a fool, certainly isn't lying, and doesn't IMO come close to being something I'd hold against Gupta in relation to this position. I don't really think people going overboard about criticism of St Michael is justified.

11. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm hoping they forego the dog and get a cat. Just for the theatrics.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

delete (srry wrong bump)

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Quite an accidental bump for a thread that’s prior post was 15 years ago.

Wonder what happened to Hayesstreet and Rhadamanthus?

B-Bob likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Man, misinformation was pretty damn tame in 2009!