1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sanjay Gupta

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by insane man, Jan 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. insane man

insane man Member

this was the first thing i thought of...

krugman

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't know if this is a new era in political journalism or if it's because our expectations of Obama's appointments is the next coming of the Dream Team, but I've never seen before the intense scrutiny of EVERY appointment from a president elect.

Is it because we think this president will care of how we feel about his choices? Or maybe it's me who is paying too much attention to the increasingly professional "blogosphere".

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

If you think this is bad, just wait until they settle on a family dog. It will be a bloodbath.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Rumor has it they may get two.

5. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

and? the first thing thing many others probably thought of was that contestant on american idol.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Bet they name them Red and Blue...

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i hate that dude.....every time they put him up on cnn i change the channel to bbc..

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think it's the implicit acknowledgement that so many things are so screwed up and that Obama's attention will naturally be drawn to the top level tasks like the economy and foreign policy, thus making his appointees the ones who will reform or fix a huge number of problems that under normal times would rise to the level of Presidential concern.

11. rimrocker

And for the record, I'm not impressed with Mr. Gupta.

12. Major

Major Member

Eh - I'm not sure this is a big deal. A lawyer's job is to represent the interests of the clients he's hired to represent. Just because a lawyer defends a murderer doesn't mean he supports murder. If the anti-RIAA side had hired him, he'd have been a hero to them and hated by the RIAA. I don't think it gives any indication of any justice department policy, because he will no longer be representing the RIAA>

The Sanjay Gupta thing is interesting. I've heard mixed opinion on it. The strongest argument I've heard in favor of it is that the Surgeon General's primary role is to be a visible face and be on TV a lot, so it would make sense to pick someone comfortable with that who also has the health policy background.

13. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Why not? Is it cause he's In-jun?

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Gupta has extensive experience with the media. Remember, his main task as SG will be to sell Obama’s healthcare plan to America. Having a well known face and the background he’s had with CNN for 7 or 8 years will help with that.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

LOL. It has come to this, berating a Surgeon General pick because he once disagreed with Michael Moore.

That's actually rather hilarious when you think about it.

16. rhadamanthus

Nobody is forcing lawyers to work in an unethical manner for unethical clients. That was a choice, and it reflects something meritous of skepticism.

Not that I am surprised - FISA pretty much killed the puny part of me that thought Obama might be something better than just a politician.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I hear Newman's in the running for Postmaster General.

18. rhadamanthus

It's not disagreement, he was blatantly lying. He looked like a fool compared to Michael freekin' Moore.

That's not hilarious - it's sad.

19. rimrocker

I find him grating and pedantic.

And the Surgeon General is not just a media figurehead. The SG is also in charge of the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, who respond to disasters and outbreaks... essentially, the disease equivalent of FEMA. Being a neurosurgeon is better than having one of W's horse buddies, but it would be better to have an epidemiologist in the position and it would be better to have someone who has managerial experience because like so many things, the current administration has diminished the office and it will take a good manager to right the ship and build morale back up...

Incidentally, the PHS and CDC are one of the jewels of your government that this administration has ruined by the insistence on adhering to far right ideology over science and reality.

20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Not sure what you're talking about. The only 'fact' that Gupta got wrong was the discrepancy over whether Moore said Cubans pay $25 or $251. Other than that, every other dispute is either a matter of each party using different 'official' stats or talking around each other with parallel arguments.

Even taking Moore's own responses at face value, it's hard to conclude Gupta was 'blatantly lying.'