1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sanders Bill Eliminates all Student Loans. Period

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jun 24, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's amazing to me that Republicans love free giveaways via tax cuts which are really just stimulus packages (that's all the Trump tax cut was... when we didn't need one, and to the wrong people), but they don't want a stimulus package that is more practical in nature.

A conservative should by principle think its more prudent to pay off debt rather than borrow money to pay for Jet Ski's. The Trump tax scam is a blank check for rich people to buy Jet Ski's. The Bernie college plan is essentially a stimulus package paid for in the same way that the Trump tax scam would be (mostly borrowing money), but would actually go to something useful... quality of life with less debt rather than whatever stupid crap rich people bought with their tax break in Febuary/March.

arkoe, Deckard and JayGoogle like this.
  2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I wonder how much "new wall" is really being built. From what I hear, it's mostly refurb/rehab of existing fence that's going on.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

Why stop at student loans? Why not just eliminate all debt with a stroke of a pen. Credit cards, small business loans, personal loans. mortgages, auto loans, boat loans, all gone with a stroke of a pen.... Heck, why not just wipe away the national debt while we are at it. Someone else will surely pay for it. All we have to do is tax the wealthy people at 100,000% and we can pay for all of this easy peasy.

[​IMG]

The Real Shady and BruceAndre like this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Because not all debt is the same. Both in terms of its effect on the economy and the nature of its creation.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Why shouldn't people sacrifice to get a college education. It should be something someone really wants and is willing to sacrifice to complete. It isn't high school or primary school. It is something that someone should really have an ambition for.

jcf and Astrodome like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, if you forgive a 100k debt to someone that person can then go on to eliminate a lot of that other debt that's been sagging them down.

It's like asking someone to carry a 200lbs rock up a mountain. The longer someone does this, the more it hinders them to climb that mountain. They climb it slower, it increases risk of injury, and they may not clear that mountain...but if you say "Hey, I can take 100lbs off that rock..." they will climb the mountain faster with less risk of injury and clear said mountain.

It's sort of exactly like the poster @Jayzers_100 said about his debt, if it was forgiven, he'd be able to become a homeowner. Maybe this helps small businesses in the end because people have more money to spend.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That is an absolutely terrible mindset to have for education. You want to make it as easy as humanly possible (in other words, no impediments outside of the academic arena itself) for someone with the talent and desire to get a high level education.

Deckard likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not too keen. Subsidies mask price signals and drives poor decisions in the marketplace. But, if you're going to do it, I'd want to eliminate the principal-agent problem by having whatever body responsible for paying the subsidy to also have direct authority over the schools' budget. We saw what happened with guaranteed student loans -- it increased students' willingness to pay (beyond their ability) and universities made big spends to compete for those students and drove up the costs. If you have private entities making the spending decisions, the students choosing between schools, and the federal government paying, there's no feedback loop to the school to tell them they can't build a new chemistry building or they can't give that Nobel laureate the salary he's looking for. I'd prefer to keep it all private and let the schools figure out some price discrimination scheme to maintain a diverse student body, but if you're going to have the taxpayer pay, let the product control be unitary.

arkoe, Deckard and KingCheetah like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

No, I want it to be available for anyone that is willing to sacrifice and work hard.

If someone is not willing to make some personal sacrifices, then they do not need to be subsidized to go to college.

The devil lives in the details as to what is "personal sacrifice"..... but college and graduate studies give you something, and they should be paid for one way or another.

jcf and KingCheetah like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I feel like they sacrifice enough. Especially if you are aiming for something professional. Sacrificing time is enough of a price for me as that is something you can never get back and I really don't think anything is gained having people work multiple jobs AND have to focus on finishing their degree or entering a competitive professional career. I feel like all that accomplishes is having that person spend less energy on whatever they are passionate about.

Also with the student loans and how crushing they can be, a lot of poorer folks aren't willing to even risk the sacrifice and have less room for failure especially if they come from a poorer family.

While I agree there will have to be sacrifices made, I think the time sacrifice, the hard work given to that profession, is the sacrifice one makes. If one wants to be excellent at something then they should be allowed to spend hours of their day honing that craft and not worrying about having to go to another job just to help pay off a loan. This, to me, feels like something that would discourage instead of encourage and everyone needs a bit of encouragement when trying to fulfill dreams.

11. Nook

Nook Member

This is 100% right.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and unforeseen consequences.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I want it available for people who work hard in their academics. I don't want it more available to people who nutted out of a wealthy penis.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I respect your opinion and we are on the same wave length about 80% of the time. I don't think anyone should be unfairly punished, but I do believe that there should be some consequences for choosing to go to a more expensive college. There is nothing wrong with a college student having a job where they work 20 hours a week and during the summer.

jcf, ElPigto, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think anyone wants someone to have success simply because they come from wealth.

15. HTM

HTM Member

Ha, I love that line of thinking, "Tax cuts are free giveaways" - :rolleyes:

A tax is a confiscation of your money at the point of a gun. If there is a tax cut you are not being "given" anything. You are having less taken from you.

jcf and cml750 like this.
  16. fchowd0311

Working 20 hours a weak isn't really going to net you a sustainable wage for living expenses and mitigating student loan debt by paying into your tuition. Working any more is a severe detriment to your studies.

I honestly could not find the time in my schedule to work any more than 20 hours and still maintain above a 3.0 GPA in my course work. I don't think it was from laziness that I couldn't manage that feat. I needed to dedicate more of my time to my studies and projects to maintain a decent gpa.

And I had the fortunate gift of having all my tuition payed and having a housing allowance from the post 9/11 GI bill.

I can't imagine how difficult it is for someone who had to pay the entirety of their tuition and room and board.

#96 fchowd0311, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Deckard and Nook like this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

dude it does not have to one of the other, that is what is wrong with politics currently either you are on my team or not.

I like many others don't view very idea as liberal or conservative, I also don't view every conservative as the enemy.

i look at things with a nuance and realize all conservative values are not evil and not all liberal ideas are gospel, for a government and country to be optimal IMO there needs to a checks and balances from both sides.

You and Berny are in the minority and you are using Republican tactics to label anybody that doesn't agree with you as weak and lost.

Why is what you believe right and very other liberal is wrong to have a different opinion?

What got Trump elected was the purity test from the dems and people like you calling people who disagree with you quasi conservative.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I worked full time during the summer and often worked over 20 hours a week and ended up at a top 10 school. I know everyone is different, but there were a lot of college students that did not work at all, and had an enormous amount of free time. More than they ever did in high school. There has to be some middle ground that everyone (or most people) can live with.

Deckard likes this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

Sacrificing time is enough?

WOW!

this is the mindset that people point to when they say millennial want to be handed everything.

The sacrifice of time, money and hard work is what helps you throughout life obtain your full potential.

jcf likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

As long as corporations take advantage of our public infrastructure, from roads to public utility lines installed by public money to the plethora of public research from public research universities to having access to a market of people that provide healthcare to the elderly so they don't die and can spend money on your product, taxing them isn't theft, it's fair and any avoidance of being taxed is spitting in the face of all the advantages they receive from our publicly financed programs and infrastructure.

I'm a grad student at a public research university. Currently we are researching a form of additive manufacturing called ambient reactive extrusion. The benefits of this method is increased shear modulus and increased resistances to thermal stresses which allows for faster vertical builds and a wider application of these 3D printed parts. Privately owned manufacturing companies will eventually reap the benefits of these publicly financed research endeavors.

So yes, wealthy corporations and wealthy people avoiding taxes is a form of theft because they built a large portion of their wealth off the backs of our public infrastructure and programs.

#100 fchowd0311, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Deckard and CometsWin like this.