1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

San Francisco turned ghost town?: Dave Chappelle ‘what the f happened to this place ?!’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jul 29, 2020.

?

Why is everyone leaving?

1. Warriors suck

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No Rockets fans left here

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Florida? This is the bubble!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WATCH VIDEO FIRST, BEFORE COMMENTING YOU ONE DIRECTION FANS

[​IMG]
    Local//San Francisco Locals
    'I'm finally leaving': Stories of Bay Area residents
    moving

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-locals/slideshow/I-m-finally-leaving-Stories-of-Bay-Area-203670.php

SF -> Houston, Texas

"I just moved to Houston, Texas two weeks ago! I got a promotion at work, at a new company, and it’s a technology I’ve always been passionate about. Moving to Houston from San Francisco allows me to have a higher quality of life here due to the lower cost of living, higher income from my promotion and I’m closer to family (I have family in Houston). Also, the real estate investment opportunity in Texas was attractive to me, given the lower cost of land (there’s a great growth trajectory in Texas in real estate for many reasons — including the tech exodus from coastal cities happening now). I’m looking forward to a great time in Texas!” - Lemar Ashhar, 26

@Os Trigonum @Reeko @RayRay10 @rocketsjudoka @Ziggy

#1 tinman, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Nook

Nook Member

San Francisco is possibly the most desired place to live in the USA. Estimates show that with affordable housing the population would be four times what it currently is in the Bay Area.

Texas is the number one emerging state in the nation and soon will not be affordable. It is a wonderful place for someone young to move.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

I prefer San Diego. But that's my preference.
    It's cold in San Francisco. And it's basically all Tech Bros now. It's not the same as it was 20 years ago.

They'll never get affordable housing , not in this lifetime.

ROXTXIA, basso and Corrosion like this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

San Francisco is a garbage can. The amount of human **** in the streets in San Francisco is worse than cities in third world countries. I'll take Houston over San Franshitsco any day

tinman, AroundTheWorld and basso like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When was the last time you were in SF? That is absolutely not the case in any of the parts of SF that I've been in.

Ziggy likes this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

Last year. I hope you're right, the homeless Asian people made me sad

tinman likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

Excellent coffee shops in San Diego

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

I like little Italy. that place is just awesome.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

You are right, it's dependent on what part of town you are in. But San Francisco is not very big geographically.
    If you eliminate the human beings, the nature is amazing. Who doesn't like Golden Gate Park or the Presidio?
    but there's a huge reason for the decline of the city and why people are leaving for the burbs, other cities, or even out of state.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Frisco is tech everest. It's more an iceberg where a lot of young people are struggling to say afloat. Oakland is quickly gentrifying despite the crime.

As for why it's a ghost town, that might be why 75% of Cali's latest covid numbers are coming from Socal. They are more likely to follow health guidelines and common freakin courtesy.

The way Austin has been awfully planned for future development makes me think it's not going to be better off as transplants swarm there for better pastures.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I have a lawn cut business that is doing surprisingly well, and one of my clients just moved to a nice new home in Murfreesboro TN (just outside Nashville) and I told him welcome here and how does he like it. He replied it’s like he moved to the United States and is loving it lol , I didn’t ask which part of cali he moved from but he said the homeless problem was crazy there .

tinman likes this.
  12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Is Austin building in suburbs or no ?

13. tinman

Supporting Member

the burbs are booming in austin
    Round Rock, Pflugerville, Lakeway, Cedar Park, even Leander

Full of California refugees too

Nook likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

You brought up something that nobody talks about.

The immigrant population here, none of these people have a stake in the historical battle between the Zayn and Harry Styles One Direction Saga.
    All they care about is working , being safe and providing education for their children.

They are highly educated people with high paying jobs. They left a much less liberal country to be in America.

@Os Trigonum @rocketsjudoka

15. Nook

Nook Member

You may not like San Francisco but it is one of the most desirable places to live on the planet.

My law firm attempted to broker a deal for a rail and affordable housing in the area and were essentially told it would never happen. The area is in extreme demand and it's value continues to only climb. In that Bay area, for every person living there, there are 3-4 others that would live there if there was more housing.

Houston is an in demand area as well. The whole of Texas really is. Houston and Dallas are two of the hottest cities in the world. Still, the demand for the Bay Area out strips anything in Texas right now.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Depends on your life status. If you are a married with a bunch of kids no way you live there unless you get in an exclusive neighborhood.
    Even then you send your kids to private school because SF has the lottery system which is dumb. You can live next to the school and your kid won't go there cause they were lotto-ed into another school.

if you are young and don't mind roommates, yeah. But the virus has changed the city big time. lots of business are out. Especially restaurants.

Corrosion and Nook like this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

I'm not saying it not desirable, SF has some nice places and great food, I was just shocked to see **** on the sidewalk in front of Millennium tower. I've only been there once though and I was only there a week so you're depiction is probably more accurate than mine. My sister lives in San Jose but when I go out there we usually go to Oakland and other bay area towns

tinman and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

San Francisco is and really always has been for many years, a place to live only if you have money to afford private schools and a solid home...... the area is in such demand that the cost is incredibly high.

The area will be perfectly fine, COVID will not last forever. I can tell you that the investors are not being scared away by COVID in that area.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Just to be clear, I am not saying your opinion is wrong only that there are a lot of people that would like to live there. There are a lot of very unique and odd things about San Francisco that make it a very desirable place to live but also a place that is difficult place to live. Also the homeless are a serious issue. It is only a matter of time before someone comes into office and drives them out. The area is very liberal, they are very generous in certain ways, but it is also an area that has gone out of it's way to ensure that there are no large apartment developments and that there isn't affordable housing. It is a playground and home for the very rich.

Fantasma Negro and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SF is largely a victim of its own success. What's making SF unaffordable and squeezing out diversity isn't so much of all the regulations, taxes, and even homeless (many cities have homeless) but it's the success of the tech boom. The very reason why many tech workers want to live in SF is because of it's reputation as a progressive, diverse and cultured city. Those same people have jacked up real estate prices pricing out a lot of the people that created the vibrant culture of SF.

All of that said that doesn't mean that SF and the SF Bay Area still isn't a desirable destination. I co-own some property there and I get an offer pretty much every week for it.

tinman likes this.