1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Harris How Do People Feel About Him?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jul 14, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, you will not like Sam Harris one bit. That's an absolute certainty. If you listen to his well-known podcast about Trump, you may want to do it while parked outside an emergency room somewhere.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Sam Harris is great in that he doesn't believe things because he wishes they ought to be true.

The left wants Islam to be a religion of peace, they want IQ to not be predictive and not vary among different groups. But that isn't so, and Harris refuses to play along.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I had his first two religion books. Read them a long time ago, sold them to Half Price shortly after. The short one Letter to a Christian Nation and the longer one that preceded it. They were pretty good but some logical fallacies. I stopped caring about religion/atheism in like 07-08 so haven't seen or heard anything from him since then.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

that's where you're wrong kiddo

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ha, the punchline in the end was pretty funny.

bongman likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, that's my thing.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

First, I'm definitely wrong here and there, but this wouldn't be one of those heres or theres.

Second, just like your idol stealing from Fox News, you're stealing from Bobby The Great. Much better to come up with your own adolescent term, like "that's where you're wrong, boyo, or juniorito, or juvenilio, or some other stupid "o" term.

Third... nah, that's it. Just those two.

But just in case- if you let me know your city, I'd be glad to send some links to emergency rooms in case you listen to the Harris "Trump" podcast and suffer the subsequent, inevitable heart attack.

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

well, he's wrong anyway. I listen and enjoy Ben Shapiro even though he's a never Trump.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is bullshit of course. If Sam Harris doesn't believe things just because he wishes they ought to be true, then he wouldn't believe that - for lack of better categorization - Nato and its allies adhere to purer intentions than the people they claim to be "fighting".

In any description of these events, the people with the purest intentions will not both have the highest defense capability and by far the highest murder rate. When I say by far, please note we are talking about millions vs thousands. His childish explanation of this is that they don't INTEND to kill innocents, which is the equivalent of me killing someone every weekend while driving drunk and considering myself better than someone who killed her husband for cheating. As a drunk driver, I am fully responsible for the predictable outcomes of my actions. We're not playing a technicalities game here, everyone is fully aware that negligence is a common excuse for murder, and a 1,000+ year old PR game as well. In this instance, Sam Harris is parroting nationalist PR propaganda becomes he wishes it ought to be true.

Unfortunately, Sam Harris is wasting his ability as an intellectual. He is a great debater and is very well informed in the areas where he's an expert. His views on politics, however, are like Kanye West's views of politics: irrelevant and poorly thought out, but great click bait.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The problem with Harris sometimes is that he plays contrarian just to play it at times. I'm not sure what he's playing contrarian to with the Islam stuff, if conservatives sat down and actually listened to many liberals they'd find that a lot of people on the left agree with Bill Maher and Harris on this.

As for the bolded, that's a whole can of worms, you sure you want to open it? I think many wonder the relevance of Race and I.Q and question the validity of such studies in the first place. His view on this topic has been...interesting...he admitted to knowing little to nothing about the topic and that it wasn't his expertise but this all came after Charles Murray was ran off a college campus...and so Sam Harris naturally had to side with him.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

are you claiming a moral equivalence between NATO and ISIS?

durvasa likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sam is one of the greatest minds of our time. Been a huge follower of his since Letter to a Christian Nation.

I regularly try to emulate his approach to problem solving, meditation, conflict resolution, interpersonal relationships, and more.