1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Salt Lake City Bar Under Fire for Its ‘No Zionists Allowed’ Policy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am more surprised at there being any bars in Salt Lake than there being one having a no zionists allowed policy. Can private businesses even ban ideologies? How would the bar even enforce it?

Also of note, I think it's ridiculous to refer to Israel as the homeland for ALL Jewish people. The homeland for the Jewish community in Utah is Utah.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...or-its-no-zionists-allowed-policy/ar-BB1jud72

Salt Lake City Bar Under Fire for Its ‘No Zionists Allowed’ Policy

A newly opened bar in Salt Lake City is under scrutiny by state officials after announcing on social media that it would implement a “no Zionists allowed” policy.

“As many are, we are horrified by the ongoing genocide in Gaza and are even more horrified to see so many Americans ignore and rationalize ethnic cleansing. That is why we are pleased to announce we are banning all zionists forever from our establishments,” the Weathered Waves bar posted on Instagram.

“Zionism is hate speech. It is white supremacy and has nothing to do with the beautiful Jewish faith,” the bar said. Its owner, former mayoral candidate Michael Valentine, responded to backlash by stressing that “we are banning zionists, not Jews.”

But many accused the bar of thinly veiled antisemitism, arguing that the term “Zionist” could be used against any Jewish person who supports their homeland. Amid growing outrage this week, the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Services, which had just given the bar its license on Feb. 29, turned to the state Attorney General’s Office requesting “an investigation on whether the business is violating discrimination laws,” the department said in a statement Wednesday.

It said the department is also reviewing its own “legal options for responding to discrimination at DABS licensed establishments.”

The bar has reported at least one threat of arson and “review bombing” amid the controversy, though Valentine has said he has no intention of backing down.

In comments to The Salt Lake Tribune, he said: “It is not antisemitic to say we are anti-genocide. That’s what we’re saying… I literally say in the post I’m not banning Jews. This is not about that.”

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why even bring this type of attention to yourself when u literally just opened?

should’ve just laid low and have a secret policy that if someone is speaking pro-genocide rhetoric, u kick them out for disrupting your establishment if that’s really what u want to do

Andre0087 and ROCKSS like this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How do you distinguish? Does one have to pass some sort of test to enter the bar?

AroundTheWorld and Kim like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

"No such thing as bad publicity"?

ROCKSS, Kim, Nook and 2 others like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Discriminatory. I agree with them that the invasion of Gaza is a genocide and that genocide is bad. I also don't equate anti-Zionism with antisemitism. However, a Jew seeing this ban could reasonably conclude that they are unwelcome because of their religion and/or their race and/or their country of origin (all protected classes), even if they agree with the anti-genocide political stance. They'd have been better off just saying they oppose the genocide in Gaza, except that that wouldn't generate salacious headlines to drive traffic. I think it's lazy reasoning also to equate Zionism with this genocide, as though it were impossible to hold one and oppose the other. And I don't think I want to patronize this bar. It is in the hospitality business but wants to go out of its way to be inhospitable.

ROCKSS, Kim and Rocket River like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

On the one hand, this is completely legal.

On the other hand, it's also completely stupid and so is everyone who cares.

ROCKSS, Buck Turgidson and Kim like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

People that tie their entire personality and lives to a religion are ****ing losers.

That goes for the Zionist Jews that are obsessed with being Jewish and Israel, and the radical Islamists that don't take a dump without wondering what Allah would think, and want a Caliphate.

These people have an inability to think for themselves and lack any individuality.

I am sorry but blowing yourself up in a car bomb so women have to cover their faces - or being a Jew and moving into the West Bank surrounded by hostile Arabs that live on that land - deserve the Darwin award.... the wrong sperm won, what a complete waste of life.

As for the bar, whatever - they can only serve like 2% alcohol.... if you are the type to want to go to a bar and are "woke", why are you in Salt Lake City? In fact - it is very difficult to be successful in Salt Lake City unless you are deeply entrenched in the Mormon church and are a white male that looks like Steve Kerr of Children of the Corn.

ROCKSS and Kim like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This would be my amateur understanding is that Zionism isn't a protected class so they could ban "Zionists". How they determine who is a Zionists would be a bigger issue as if they banned Jewish people that would be illegal. Even if they wanted to ban Jewish people on the basis that they are Zionist the CO case that said that a baker doesn't need to bake a wedding cake for an LGBT wedding might make that allowable if they can argue that Zionism is such an affront to their religious and moral values that they shouldn't be forced to cater to it.

Kim likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Because exclusionary tactics win
    If you only have a niche. . .and that niche hates THEM PEOPLE
    you put up a sign saying THEM PEOPLE won't be there
    then your Niche feels more comfortable being their hateful selves in your place of business

Rocket River

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess IN THEORY . . . . It is no different than saying. . . NO COMMUNIST!!

Rocket River

Kim likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds problematic and likely antisemitic.

Aside from all of that, has the bar had problems with patrons coming in and talking about claiming huge swaths of land for Israel in the Middle East? It was driving away business?

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that bars in salt lake city are f**king weird. You can only sell alcohol to members of "private clubs", so to buy alcohol at a bar you have to pay for a membership for the night first.

At least thats how I'm told it works.

So as a "private club", these bars, I think, have more leeway and control over who comes in?

Kim and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is the intersection of free speech, public accommodation, legal/illegal discrimination, and how far the policy goes (signs/actions/assumptions). The legality of it would be based on the specific circumstances of those things, but yes, this is dumb.

AroundTheWorld and ROCKSS like this.
  14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"The fact that I am opening a no Zionist bar in SLC so that people will write about it is clearly explained by my 'i am opening a no Zionist bar in SLC so that people will write about it' T Shirt"

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was changed during the Salt Lake City Olympics. Bars in Utah now don’t require a membership.

FranchiseBlade likes this.