1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacha Baron Cohen's "Who Is America?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by donkeypunch, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly I wouldn't want the largest Mosque outside of the Middle East in my town either. I really wouldn't want my town to be a place for massive tourism either. I have no desire to have the world's largest Church in my town either.

B-Bob and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

3. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Would your reasoning be the same as what was offered by the residents of Kingman Arizona?

Or would it be more practical such as, lack of supporting infrastructure, increased housing value that isn't offset by job opportunities.

Would you have that same feeling if Amazon wanted to locate their headquarters there and the exact same job opportunities existed?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Coo, coo, coo. But sorry, still not even close to an excuse for some of the actions we've seen. NEXT.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fair enough. But you're not saying things like - we BARELY let blacks live here.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Whoa there, infant. No need to become so trigg'd

We're all anxiously awaiting you being featured in episode 7.

Caesar, CometsWin and Ziggy like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

There are a variety of reasons.

I don't have a desire to have a strong religious center in my neighborhood and Islam tends to be very fundamentalist. I already fought to keep a mega evangelical church out of the small town I live in. Where I live is small, and very wealthy with lots of woods and rolling hills. The property values and appeal of the area is that the homes are large, well wooded, not overly populated and the schools are excellent in large part because the area is wealthy with essentially no area in the boundaries that is in poverty.

Further, a Mosque or Church does not bring in any tax money at all. Not to mention that it would increase traffic and stress the resources that already exist. We already have a large hospital in the community that is very nice and well ran, but not for profit so we see no tax revenue. Most of the citizens in the town would rather not have the hospital for that very reason.

There are businesses, most of them are either small. There is a Walgreens and a Target but that is it for big ones. We kept out WalMart and I am glad we did. The WalMart went about 10 miles away and crime in that area increased by 25%.

Would I want Amazon? Probably not. It isn't a fair comparison though, because Amazon is not religious based and also brings in tax money. In our town it would receive more approval for a Mosque, but I would say that half or more of the residents would be against Amazon. Those that would support it would do so because they would hope it would increase their property values.

So at the end of the day, is it just because it is a Mosque? No, lots of things have been kept out of the community. There were plans to build a courthouse holding area on the edge of the town and that was shuttered after some phone calls.

Also, it is somewhat human nature that if someone likes their home and where they live, that they are adverse to change. It is as old as people are. I have heard those that grew up in parts of Chicago lament that they missed when the whole area was Polish or Irish immigrants because that is what they grew up around. Hell, I even understood when Spike Lee pointed out that Brooklyn is different with all the hipsters moving in......... things and times change and it isn't always what people are used to and want.

Concerning the massive Mosque, if it came to our town, property values would nose dive. A small Mosque that was built into the general tenor of the community? Wouldn't change much and would probably be accepted.

The area I live in is almost 50/50 democrats and republicans. While it is true that most of the people that would support the Mosque would be democrat......... some of those against it would be democrat too. It is easy for someone to say they would be fine for X, Y, Z to move in......... but when it is their neighborhood it changes. I have seen that first hand with residents.

#187 Nook, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. theimpossibles1

Thank you for that in-depth breakdown about your feelings about a hypothetical situation based on a comedy TV show.

Guess I can skip class now cuz i just got learnt!

Nook likes this.
  9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

wat about a luby's?

FLASH21, Rashmon, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

jo mama, B-Bob and Mr. Brightside like this.
  11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

@Nook , it sounds like your area is well to do (or definitely in a better place in Kingman, Arizona).
    That could explain why you feel there is less to gain for an outside entity to generate local economic growth.

FYI, there are other ways to generate revenue from an tax-exempt entity, such as hotel tax increase (ie. tourism), bump in sales taxes from local consumption, increased jobs to support such things.

Not saying that would balance out towards a net gain, but am I certain that wasn't taken into consideration at the town meeting.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem is that the majority of the stupidity is on the right side......the left is much more mature and has integrity...doesnt' have child molesters as candidates, or ex -cons, and values the truth over lies like Trump.

I am all for punking any and all politicians but the dumbassary that has infected the Republican party these last 15+ years has caused it to be a laughingstock to the rest of the world, and majority of the USA.

Cohen is brilliant in pointing out literally how ****ing stupid these people are.....brilliant.

DD

#192 DaDakota, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  13. theimpossibles1

"As soon as you said Mosque, you RUINED it!"

That guy... Lol.

Ziggy likes this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

What is that? It looks like a fake vagina.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think the "black people aren't welcome here but we tolerate them" and the other stuff is more of an eye opener. Its ok to not want a mosque, but the insane racism towards african americans and "we"ll burn it down" stuff is insane.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

youre triggered kid.

why is that jorge?

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

when is the last time you've been there? Columbia tap rail trail isn't that pleasant through there.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

people come up with some strange things.

Big difference between opposing the building of a church because you hate the traffic and opposing the building of a mosque because you hate muslims. Newsflash - not the same thing!

And all the excuses these people use - being tricked or manipulated into showing their true selves. Under what circumstances do you think it's appropriate to say 4 year olds should have guns? Under what peer pressure? Are you saying these leaders are so weak they should be forgiven for being tricked into saying things they wouldn't say other wise?

Or is it just what they really feel and they just hide their true feelings most of the time. Sounds like Cohen is just giving them the safe space to be themselves.

heypartner likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I ride my bike all the time through the 3rd. I wouldn’t be surprised if a whole food pops up in a year or two

20. Buck Turgidson

Well, tell your NIMBY jackass neighbors that I'm flying Mariano up there for his next colonoscopy.

Nook likes this.