1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russian bombers fly undetected through US airspace

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ottomaton, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok. I'll try this again in the correct forum...

Russian bombers flew undetected across Arctic - AF commander

[​IMG]

MOSCOW, April 22 (RIA Novosti) - Russian military planes flew undetected through the U.S. zone of the Arctic Ocean to Canada during recent military exercises, a senior Air Force commander said Saturday.

The commander of the country's long-range strategic bombers, Lieutenant General Igor Khvorov, said the U.S. Air Force is now investigating why its military was unable to detect the Russian bombers.

"They were unable to detect the planes either with radars or visually," he said.

Khorov said that during the military exercises in April, Tu-160 Blackjack bombers and Tu-95 Bears had successfully carried out four missile launches. Bombing exercises were held using Tu-22 Blinders.

By the end of the year, two more Tu-160s will be commissioned for the long-range strategic bomber fleet, Khorov said.

Both new planes will incorporate numerous upgrades from the initial Soviet models, the commander said. The bombers will be able to launch both cruise missiles and aviation bombs, and communicate via satellite.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Wow! This is a HUGE deal, it must've been embarassing for U.S. military brass, and the Russians seem to be 'rubbing it in' by making a public acknowledgement of this.

The Russians have been flexing their muscles more and more the past couple of years, Putin was apparently not joking when he said that he intends on bringing Russia back to its Soviet Union status. They's asserting their power through the SCO and on the world stage especially in their dealings with Iran (which US/EU leaders have not been happy with).

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

Dear Vladimir,

Please poke me with a stick. I find myself hankering for that sweet rush that is rally round the flag... Ooooh that half-pack of Mentos I rub while looking right in the camera and saying "mushroom cloud". Make it good Daddy mmm... I just love a fun game of rally round the flag. I also need more more more money for U.S. defense spending and embarassing and threatining our country is just what I need. Be bad baby...

All My Love,
    Dick

P.S. If you could paint sharks or spiders on your bombers that would be sweet!

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Maybe they did detect them and just monitored them to observe their tactics and capabilities. I'm pretty sure no one was thinking Russia was starting WW3 with a devastaing 2 plane attack.

"They were unable to detect the planes either with radars or visually," he said.

Visually? What this the battle of Britain?

#4 Dubious, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  5. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It would be in the US's best interest to claim that they didn't detect them (well, aside from having to listen to the liberals b!tch about our military's efforts again...) even if they did detect them. Why would we want to tell Russia that they need to go back and work on their radar-defeating technologies b/c we can see them?

7. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

now who said this? President Merkin Muffley or President Bush?

8. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

I've heard lots of good things about the new/upgraded MIGs in the Russian arsenal such as their improved manoeuvrability.....I've also heard lots of good things about the Sukhoi fighter jet series as well and the Sunburn aka Mosqit missile looks awesome (can travel Mach 3 and is also a sea-skimming missile).

These jets look good too.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The TU-95 mentioned was the prop driven Russian answer to the B-52 (and inferior to it).

Tu-22 is a B-58 wannabe.

The Tu-160 is basically a bigger B-1.

These are planes designed in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. They aren't the super high-tech MiG33's or Su-27's that are modern super-advanced airplanes.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Russians have different ways of looking at problems and finding solutions. They very well could have figured out a way to create some stealth electronic field around the planes. Now I don't believe they would be visually invisible, but maybe they have figured out a way to trick radar electronically.

-Or- maybe this is all just a big hoax... :confused:

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

does this mean James Bond movies will be cool again?

oh, yeah...and eat it, Russia.

[​IMG]

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Except that we've now given the impression weakness and the Russians and others will be tempted to make deeper and more frequent violations of our airspace. If the US military was trying to play it coy and not tip their hand sooner or later they will have to reveal how good US systems are. All of this is a game routinely played by military airforces to try to skirt or even slip accross another country's airspace to see how good their detection is.

14. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Remember when the guy flew the Cessa into the Soviet Union and landed it in Red Square?

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What if Osama were on one of those Tu-160 Blackjack's and parachuted in the United States? What if Osama was walking amongst us right now...

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

A six and a half foot Muslim dragging around a dialysis machine would be a sight indeed.

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I think our defense secretary should resign.....

[​IMG]

18. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Hum, the same folks who distrust Fox News are so eager to believe this story.

19. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I don't think the General will be getting a return invite here anytime soon.

http://www.norad.mil/newsroom/news_releases/2005/122105.htm

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Don't be too sure.

I heard the General is really a Saudi Arabian, and you know how the Bush family just loves Saudi Arabians. The Bush family wouldn't be wealthy without them.

[​IMG]