1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Brand on 'Vaccine Passports': This is where it leads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Apr 13, 2021.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Russell Brand talks sense and gets it spot on correct in an outstanding video speaking to the controversial issue of 'Vaccine passports'. This forum obviously does not distinguish itself by the high proportion of sensible posters who post here. But for those of you who are, enjoy:

tinman and J.R. like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Russel Brand is still alive?

Pros And Cons Of Vaccine Passports

With a significant portion of Americans indicating opposition to getting a coronavirus vaccine, debate has risen over the potential use of vaccine passports, or digital vaccination records that could be required for travel or to enter certain establishments. The Onion evaluates the pros and cons of vaccine passports.

PRO
    Eliminates need to carry around stack of medical records everywhere.
    Ideal new relic for Covid-themed time capsule.
    About time for new way to bar access to public activity.
    Perfect excuse to not invite Greg.
    Fun chance to pull out the laminating machine!

CON
    Pointing at shoulder Band-Aid works fine.
    Wallet already full of Quiznos punchcards.
    Holding citizens accountable to public good unconstitutional.
    Still banned from Panama City Beach for life.
    There’s probably a way to do this that’s fair and ethical, but that won’t be the way we will do it.

rhino17 likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Interesting, even if mojoman simply sees the issue as a way to support his cult leader, Trump.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd rather get Jenny McCarthy's opinion about vaccines.

Brand should shut up and act.

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'm going to take a picture of my vaccination card and keep it on my phone and saved to the cloud.
    I already had to show it to have an outpatient surgery on my thumb without a current Covid test. It's just card stock, not too durable and I guess not replaceable.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was it controversial to show verification of vaccination for meningitis, tetanus, etc. when going to college? Why is this different other than its year of politicization?

Rashmon, Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  10. bobrek

Right, but you don't need one to walk into a store or a baseball game or a movie theater.

Invisible Fan and mtbrays like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Rashmon, Invisible Fan and DonnyMost like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It's amazing how happenstance works. Jenny McCarthy has inadvertently done more harm that many other people viewed as monsters.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is Russel Brand an expert in digital privacy rights or something?

14. bobrek

Yep. I find it unfathomable how many people take medical advice from her.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It was weird when this dude popped up in my YouTube feed considering his history as an actor/comedian and the type of videos I watch. The video was about the Bilderberg group. I dug what he was saying, but really not my cup of tea.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Only a fool evaluates matters based on "Who are you going to believe". A wise person will evaluate these questions based on "What are you going to believe". That allows you to take the best information and insights, regardless of the source.

You may have heard the phrase "from the mouth of babes," referring to a remarkably wise utterance from a very young and inexperienced person. I am not typically what you would call an acolyte of Russell Brand. In fact, he has at times made statements that I thought were just plain nutty. But his presentation in this video is remarkably sane, mature, balanced, insightful and I would add, wise. He makes a very impressive and compelling case here.

If you are invested all-in to promoting and supporting a certain narrative, and have effectively outsourced your thinking process to a narrow list of supposed "experts," and are therefore unwilling to evaluate these sorts of questions, based on a diversity of intellectual perspectives, then by all means, do not watch and do not think. You do you.

17. fchowd0311

You believe whoever messages your preconcieved biases.

And yes it matters who it comes from because a charismatic idiot can convince people who are not informed in a subject matter that their arguments are sound.

I'm sorry. Expertise matters. Or else charismatic snake oil salesmen can convince a population of ill-informed beliefs. There are subject matter where "common sense" isn't common sense and requires nuance where a charismatic Individual can take advantage of the complexity of a subject matter and turn it into some "common sense" argument that jibes well with the laymen. We see this especially with climate science.

His arguments can be broken apart easily. He creates an assumption if a "two tiered" society. Well for the past few decades we already live in a society where basic education services are denied without proof of vaccination and I doubt angtibg about 0.0001% of the wealthy gap increasing the last half century has anything to do with requiring vaccinations for public school districts and most universities. It's not a limiting factor for poor people in the US at least. We have a Covid vaccines surplus and the vaccine will reach every socioeconomic level as long as the Individual wants them. For countries that don't have enough vaccines yet, a vaccine passport would be an issue. It's not an issue in the US though.

So it will create a "two tiered" society for people who willingly don't want to vaccine due to misinformation. Being misinformed is a right and it's a right of private businesses to deny service to misinformed people as that isn't a protected class.

And a business will go as far as enforcing this to the extent it doesn't harm their bottom line. So a grocery store? Doubt it as the traffic through a grocery store is too frequent where it would become burdensome and the power of competition will allow grocery stores that don't do vaccine passport checks to gain the upper hand in the market. A cruise? A baseball game? I can see it being applied there without much fallback in terms of loss of revenue from ticket sales.

#17 fchowd0311, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  18. Nook

Nook Member

You literally ate the **** as Trump squeezed it out of his rectum..... is this really a subject you believe you have any objectivity over?

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I need a cartoon.

20. fchowd0311

When he finally typed a paragraph of his views I realized why he stuck to cartoons.