1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ has been bad - but he also hasn't been given a chance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Dec 4, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, but I want to be a championship contender - and we just aren't - hard to get worked up over a win - when you know the team can't win in the playoffs.

DD

J Sizzle and bmelo like this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah but thank goodness Gasol can't jump and was playing at the end instead of Ibaka in the lane!! Ibaka would have fed Russ those last 2 layups if Gasol wasn't in the way

3. Asian Sensation

Westbrick’s last 2 games where he went for a triple-double in both.

14/57 FG 25%
    1/12 3PT 8%
    13 TO’s

When you shoot sub 30% from deep for your career and you’re at less than 22% on the year a player with even a hint of common sense would realize damn maybe I should stop attempting nearly 6 threes a game cause that’s just not one of my strengths.

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But he is offended because he is WIDE OPEN when he shoots......consider that he is shooting 22% on WIDE OPEN 3pt shots.

LOL - he is terrible.

DD

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Continuously referring to them (TOR) as the World Champs isn't going to make anyone here forget that Kawhi Leonard is not on the team anymore lol.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Westbrook’s offensive rating is currently 99...while having a 32% usage rate and shooting 20 times a night

he really needs to focus on passing and rebounding...limit shot attempts to 12-14 a night with the majority at the rim

this can’t continue...Harden is overcoming his negative play, but in the playoffs this will be certain death

Russ doesn’t need to be a 20 ppg scorer...16, 8, and 10 on slightly below average efficiency would be enough

smp likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

An illustration of how moves at the margins can make a big impact to the roster.

J Sizzle and Nook like this.
  8. smp

smp Member

Exactly. That is all we need from him. Now who is going to tell him that? Isn't that what MDA is supposed to be doing?

Maybe Harden can take on the role of coach and take care of this issue too.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This post assumes that Westbrook has ever not taken a bunch of shots that he shouldn’t be taking,

He has ALWAYS done this.

Are we assuming it’s because no one has ever told him “hey man you suck at shooting. Shoot less”?

I’m quite positive he’s heard it before. I’m confident Westbrook has an understanding of math. He knows he is one of the worst shooters.

Every single basketball fan with any kind of brain knows Westbrook shouldn’t shoot much.

How you can think this is an MDA problem and not a Westbrook problem is so wild.

justtxyank and YOLO like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

i thought this was common sense. apparently, we have a select few that think this is some kind of coaching task

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He was asked be a reporter if he would make adjustments after shooting his team out of a playoff series and he snapped back at the reporter and made it clear he doesn't believe he needs to.

I'm not sure he does understand math though. He has said repeatedly that the mid range pull up is his best shot.

harold bingo, smp and jordnnnn like this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Touché

I’m probably giving him too much credit.

smp and justtxyank like this.
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Even tho his shooting is off he still finds ways to help the team out whether it be grabbing key boards or making the right pass

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

I wanna see how many second chance points we get when Westbrook on the floor

15. smp

smp Member

Yeah, this is definitely where we disagree. I do think it's the head coach's job to set the game plan and get the players to execute it.

It's MDA's job to draw up the plays and define the types of shots he expects Westbrook to take and the shots he expects Westbrook to avoid. It's up to Westbrook to take those shots and make them. That's the responsibility matrix. Westbrook shouldn't be taking shots that aren't within the framework laid out by the coach. If he is then coach has to stop it by whatever means necessary because he's the ultimate authority on the court. Period.

As far as assuming goes, I'm not assuming anything. I don't know if coach wanted Westbrook or not. I don't know if coach is telling him to stop shooting or telling him to just shoot through it. I don't know if coach has defined the shot selection for Westbrook. We don't know any of that.

All we know is Westbrook is taking bad shots and it's hurting the team. The only person with the authority to stop it is the head coach. It isn't easy but that's his job.

How you don't see it this way is wild to me. I guess we all have our own perspectives.

16. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Wiling passer Westbrook will be even more effective once EG is back to 100%....Everything will begin to fit like a glove once the floor opens up a little more. Can't wait..... Westbrook is a Superstar, and superstars take time to align and incorporate...it is still too early. But I KNOW it is going to work for the best.

Hakeemtheking and smp like this.
  17. smp

smp Member

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So essentially what you are saying is that Westbrook is uncoachable.

Because he has always taken bad shots.

He has never been benched for it.

MDA is not the only coach he has ever had.

And I trust you understand that benching Westbrook essentially is asking to be fired? Nothing would make me happier than seeing Westbrook with a bunch of DNPs, but that’s not reality.

Reports and simple logic say this was Harden and Tillman’s decision. He’s making 30+ million. He’s playing,

There is not one coach that has ever existed that could do anything with this.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. smp

smp Member

I like your optimism. It's been a bit of a rough start but I'm still hoping they find a way to make it work too!!!

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right. I just can't help but laugh at the suggestion that any coach is going to tell Harden's best friend making $30 million a year who has been the same way for a decade despite limited success that he needs to change or be benched. Let alone a coach that is a lame duck.

This isn't high school or college. DAntoni can't "coach" Westbrook into being a different player.

jordnnnn and YOLO like this.