1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor] Les to Big Blue, Pelini back to LSU

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I really wish that college coaches had the same restrictions as pro coaches.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Interesting rumor. LSU might be catching a break if this were to play out. Not necessarily because I think Pelini will lead them to national championships, but because Les Miles' freakish luck is bound to run out sometime soon.

The ball just seems to always bounce LSU's way. No matter how Les tries to give the game away, fate intervenes and the Tigers pull it out.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What restrictions?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell . . they should have the same restrictions as College Players
    You wanna transfer . . you have to SIT OUT A YEAR!!

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

luck? I don't think it's luck if you do it for 4-5 straight years. The guy just knows how to call the right plays at the right time

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Tampering, etc.

For example, if you wanted Andy Reid to be your team's coach, you couldn't talk to him until he was unemployed.

And coaches can't just walk out of their contracts and such.

8. gucci888

Donny - There are no tampering rules in college as well. If Michigan wants to officially talk to Les, they'll have to receive permission from LSU first. But we both know that there are "talks" all the time at both levels, not just college.

As far as coaches walking out of their contracts, coaching contracts are not guaranteed so it works both ways. But don't forget that parties can negotiate buy-out clauses to prevent this sort of thing.

9. Major

Major Member

I don't think this is right. If Texas fires Mack Brown, they have to keep paying him. Or at least, I know they did with John Mackovic. It's also why Colorado wouldn't fire Dan Hawkins for a while - they simply couldn't afford to pay two coaches because their finances are in shambles.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I meant luck as far as managing the clock and such. His play calling is questionable at times, but I'm willing to give him credit as an evil genius as far as that goes.

It's his game and clock management that LSU wins in spite of.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If true, Michigan will regret this. Making another mistake by hiring Les Miles after Rich Rodgriguez will set their football program back several years.

12. gucci888

You're right. Their salary is guaranteed but I don't know if incentives and bonuses are, which typically make up a big portion of contracts.

IIRC...Hawkins had a buy out that CU couldn't afford, something 2-3M.

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

^
    lulz...