1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Artest on 2008-09 Rockets: "We had an amazing team."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 21, 2012.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Man, I sure do miss that team. Even without Tmac, had Deke and Yao not gotten injured, we would've gave the Lakers a serious run for the money. We took them to game 7 with role players for crying out loud. Wow, I miss Yao. He was Mr. Automatic down low.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We picked him up as a free agent. Dude got cut from every team.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could argue he was done and was already into some substance at that time.

4. lowery

lowery Member

Man, 2009 was our year. If our players hadnt gotten injured we would of won the title. no doubt.

5. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

man, i miss YAO, DEKE and LANDRY so much, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think you are completely wrong on this.

We had "tanked" (not good enough players) + ping pong magic led to Yao Ming, he was our lotto savior. Add TMac a superstar (yea he skipped out etc, but I'm assuming had he played), and Artest an above avg player who is massively underrated because of the brawl (now he sucks, but I'm talking about at the time).

Morey had to just fill in the pieces with role players, which are easy to come by for a smart GM like Morey. Superstars pick their destination, role players don't.

Josh Smith is an athletic freaking and just a role player, if he was as good as you say he is, "a top PF", the Hawks would be much better than they are. Josh Smith has the tools to be a 2nd star on a team (Gasol type), but he isn't even mentally at this point able to be that, and I have my doubts he ever will be.

The reason the Rockets need to tank is to find another gem in the draft. IF superstars didn't pick their destinations like they do, I have no doubt Morey would've already landed someone (whether it be Bosh, Paul, or somebody), but they do. With that being said having a superstar is NEEDED to attract other stars (as the NBA is), as well as win (see the Superstar foul calls thread). Rockets will have trouble getting a superstar here through trading/FA, but with lucky ping pong balls, and Morey's good drafting sense, I think we'd be able to get a player to build around with a top 3 pick (especially in a draft as stacked as this years).

7. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Side note:
    This thread brings back so many good AND so many painful memories at the same time.

8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I remember that pregame Kobe handshake to Battier, it is almost like a hard slap than a cordial handshake. I believe if Artest win that championship for Houston, he would of kept that ring instead of donating his Lakers ring to charity. 1 of the best memories besides our champ years, I wished I had not live in a cave and enjoy bleeding Red here.

9. mi0304

mi0304 Member

That team was so exciting - Full of passion. I remember the Yao Ming coming back from tunnel, the bleeding Batman, Buzzer beater from Aaron Brooks, tears of Deke at his last game, Artest in stand, Scola's dreamshake on Odom, every dunk from Carl Landry, and interview of injured team leader saying 'Lakers win'=)

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yer entitled to your opinion...
    Personally I think we have MOST of the pieces to do a Detroit no superstars championship.... and I think DMo is our gem...
    Additionally, as the new CBA kicks in and teams are paying these multiple max salaries 3 or 4 years into them, I think you'll see more movement of 'stars' (ie Bosh)....