1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Romo up to no good again.....

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Drewdog, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

His own freaking teammate??? What a b*stard.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1603083

Monday, August 25, 2003

ESPN.com news services

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Oakland Raiders linebacker Bill Romanowski was suspended from Monday's practice and fined an undisclosed amount after punching and seriously injuring teammate Marcus Williams during a fight in practice a day earlier.

Romanowski

Williams' left orbital bone was broken and his nose was injured, according to coach Bill Callahan.

Williams, who was a 14-game backup last year, will be sidelined four-to-six weeks, which puts the Raiders in position of reaching an injury settlement with him, ESPN's John Clayton reports. Williams is scheduled to make a base salary of $300,000.

Though Williams reportedly called Alameda police after the incident, no criminal charges have been filed over the scuffle, which occurred during a practice drill. Callahan doesn't expect charges to be pressed.

"It doesn't matter who it is,'' Callahan said. "When it gets to that severity, I'm going to level a discipline. It goes beyond the game. Once it's beyond the respect and dignity of a player, it's a tragedy.''

Williams underwent several tests at a local hospital before being released Sunday night. His agent, Lee Kalligian, didn't immediately return several phone calls from The Associated Press.

Callahan met with Romanowski on Monday night after practice. Romanowski didn't speak with reporters as he drove up to the team's training complex.

Romanowski is entering his 16th NFL season and second with the Raiders, who signed him as a free agent before their run to the AFC championship last fall. He has appeared in five Super Bowls and played in 240 consecutive regular-season games.

He was second on the team in tackles last year while helping Oakland's defense improve to fourth overall against the run.

But Romanowski has a long history of violent scrapes with opponents and others. One of his more well-publicized incidents came in December 1997, when he spit in the face of San Francisco 49ers receiver J.J. Stokes while playing for the Denver Broncos in a nationally televised game.

Romanowski was fined $7,500 by the NFL -- one of several fines for his behavior during his career.

Williams is in his second year with Oakland after playing in 13 games as an undrafted free agent last season. He played primarily on special teams last season, but was trying to earn a more regular position this year.

"I talked about fighting on the first day of training camp,'' Callahan said. "It's an intolerable offense. I think everybody understands how I feel. I'm really disappointed. It was really an unfortunate incident that kind of took the edge off practice.''

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I thought it was awesome... old dude kicking some little upstarts ass. The fight I really thought was stupid was Michael Westbrook ruining his heroism from the catch as he was video taped punching Stephen Davis while he lay on the ground.

Also I liked how Williams and Romo are around the same size so it isn't like Romo was picking on a corner or something.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What a ****ing idiot, as if team chemistry wasn't already rocky.

:rolleyes:

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Damn, I remember Romanowski on frickin' Super Tecmo Bowl. The guy's been around forever.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I can't believe he only got fined and suspended for 1 practice. That's real "discipline".:eek: This guy's a nut job.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I am SOOOO glad that Romanowski is no longer with the Broncos. The guy was a f*cking embarrassment to that organization. Good riddance, nutjob!

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I do not condone what the guy did but he has an edge that you cannot teach. He is very passionate about the game of football which is what I like about the guy. Fights happen everyday in practice it just so happens in this case Romo beat the crap out of the guy and he sustained an injury.

8. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

It's amazing what steroids will do the temperment, eh? You can't teach the edge but you sure can increase it via "performance enhancers".

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Thats an easy accusation to level at him although with the testing today that the clubs perform, especially with his background I dont buy it. Romo is old school.....like I said I do not condone what the guy did but I do like his competivness

10. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Can't add anything to that. Great post Manny.

11. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Nutjob or not the guy can flat out play the game of football. Every team he is on is better when he is there. 5 super bowls and 240 consecutive games dont lie. Everyone knows he fights and is nasty. Plus we have no idea what started this fight or led up to it. I mean heaven forbid Williams might have actually started the fight.
    I dont like the spitting incident at all and I dont mean to condone that bonehead move, but fights do happen everyday in practice. Romo just gets more publicity because of his past.
    And the steroids now with his past problems-very doubtful. He is probably the most tested guy in the league for that now.
    He is just mean as hell and when he is on your team you love him and when he isnt he is hated. I know from experience.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Romo is a Class A Jackass Punk. Enough with his foolishness. Enough with the fighting, the spiting and the classless acts.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Scary,

It is admirable that you feel compelled to defend Romanowski because I know how you feel...I did it for I don't know how many seasons when he was a Bronco.

But I'll tell you something...it grew tiresome and OLD fast! That is why I did not weep any tears when he left. When he wears out his welcome with the Raiders, you will feel the same way that I am feeling now.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What an arse....

How can this be tolerable...Even if he was a great player, which he's not...

I didn't like him before, and I still don't like him...I didn't even like him on draft day...Complete idiot on roids'...

15. LeGrouper

You know every time somebody gets into a fight it doesn't mean they started it. What I would do if I was the Raiders front office is find out what happened and find out who started the fight. If Romo was fighting after sufficient provocation, then the guy deserved what he got. If Romo started the fight and basically beat someone up for no good reason then kick his ass off the team. That simple. None of this BS one game suspension crap. That is why I always admired the way Golden State dropped their only all star after he practiced his snatch grip with coaches adam's apple.

And when I say sufficient provocation I mean, physical attack or sustained verbal assualt that did not respond to warning. Not something like "you missed that route dude".

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What team wouldn't have dropped a player after he attacked a coach??

17. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Manny
    You are probably right on that one. ;)

rrj
    How can you say a man who has played in multiple Pro Bowls, 5 Super Bowls, 240 consecutive games in a league where many players sit out the game because of a sprain is not a great player? He is a jerk admittedly but he is still a great player. Dont let his foolishness blind you, he has been a good starter in this league for many years and played at a very high level for every one of them. I think he will be in Canton one day. Calling him a jackass I understand, but I dont buy he wasnt a great player.

18. LeGrouper

The Knicks and Timberwolves.

19. vangundy

vangundy Member

Romanowski hasn't been good in 5 years.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sometimes a team just needs a wakeup call.