1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Role Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DREAM ON!, May 3, 2014.

1. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Not trying to start arguments about it being any players faults becuz, its not. The Rockets lost this series to a team that player better with each other. Just my observations of the Rockets after this series....

Aside from talk about a new coach or getting Melo, or Harden not playing 100% or Lin..blah blah blah.... I feel like the Rockets need to surround Howard and Harden with more suitable role players that know their roles and are consistent with them. This isn't to say that any Rockets i mention are bad players, but more about them not fitting with this team.

Look at the Blazers....
    Matthews: Scorer, *defense*
    Batum: *defense*, three pt shooter
    Lopez: *defense*, ok post up game, ok mid range
    *defense* as in, they hang their hat on it

To me the Blazers role players have defined roles. They each play a part. When Matthews and Batum's shots are not falling they can still play D on the other end of the court.

Think about Parsons, Jones and Lin and, ask yourself what roles do they have? What do they do that fits with this team?
    Parsons: Scorer
    Lin: Scorer
    Jones: Scorer

Scoring is great but, none of them are consistent at it. They are more wild cards that offer too much of the same. When their shots are not falling they offer little else. I like those three players very much but, i just see them as not the type of role players the rockets need.

The best is yet to come with this team but, i think more of an emphasis needs to be put on D and good role players, and less on just collecting "talent"

Thoughts/Opinions?

2. kastuul

kastuul Member

McHale should not give up Gracia and ride on a rookie.

It's fine in regular season, not in Playoffs.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey has dead money he has to get rid of getting rid of Asik and Lin is an automatic $15 mil. of money we can use to sign role players.

I trust it will fall into place.

4. daytripper

daytripper Member

I totally agree we don't have enough 2 way players.

Our perimeter players can score but none of them play any defense except for PatBev.

Our 2 bigs Howard and Asik are redundant and really don't compliment each other at all.

H/H is a good foundation now Morey just needs to put the rest of the puzzle pieces together. Does he try to find a 3rd stud or would it be better to find better role players at PG and the forward positions the way Portland has surrounded their 2 stars? Under this new CBA is it even feasible to keep 3 superstars together for the long run?