1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger to the Rangers?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 2, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.newsday.com/sports/print...7086jun02,0,589968.story?coll=ny-sports-print

Rocket to Rangers?
    People close to Clemens say he might agree to deal to Texas, though Yankees are still in mix.
    June 2, 2005

The Yankees could have some competition for Roger Clemens' services, after all, and this would be a battle in which George Steinbrenner lacked the home-field advantage. The seven-time Cy Young Award winner has expressed interest in joining the Texas Rangers, according to two people familiar with Clemens' thinking.

On Feb. 6, Newsday reported that Clemens, who will turn 43 Aug. 4, made a handshake agreement with Astros owner Drayton McLane upon signing a one-year, $18-million contract for 2005. McLane agreed to trade Clemens to the Yankees if the Astros fell out of the pennant race.
    In an interview with ESPN last month, Clemens, who refused to commit to playing the entire 2005 season with the Astros, said he would permit a trade only to the Yankees. Since then, however, the Rangers have surged, putting together a nine-game winning streak before losing last night in Detroit. Texas' hot streak apparently has piqued Clemens' interest in the Rangers.

Although the Rangers are a rare team that has used the same five starters since Opening Day, one executive with an American League team said he had little doubt Texas would have at least "some level of interest" if Clemens becomes available.

Any trade of Clemens would likely not occur until closer to the July 31 non-waivers trading deadline. McLane proved last season, when his club pulled off a remarkable late-season run, that he is reluctant to signal to his fans he is surrendering. But McLane, with Clemens' help, could sell a trade by touting the prospects received, money saved and the possibility of Clemens' return for 2006.

Clemens owns a no-trade clause, and his $18-million contract for this season includes a $3-million kicker if he is dealt.

The righthander, 3-3 with a sterling 1.30 ERA for the last-place Astros, has privately expressed admiration for the Rangers' powerful lineup, speculating that his record would be far better with the support of Texas' offense.

Then there is the issue of proximity. The drive from Clemens' Houston-area home to the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex takes about four hours. Rangers owner Tom Hicks seems more likely than the Yankees to grant Clemens the liberal schedule he has with the Astros. He is not required to attend games he's not pitching. If Hicks agreed to that structure, Clemens could virtually commute to Arlington from Houston.

Hicks, who signed Alex Rodriguez to a 10-year, $252-million contract in December 2000, has been more financially conservative the last few years. Yet acquiring Clemens would present a short-term, if high-volume, investment that would be done by year's end. He would essentially pay for himself in increased attendance and souvenir sales, as he has with the Astros.

Trading the team's top draw (and ace) to the Yankees or neighboring Rangers would generate negative reaction from Astros fans. The more McLane got for Clemens, the easier it would be to convince fans that the deal was worthwhile.

The Rangers, by most accounts, have more to offer the Astros than the Yankees do. Although the Yankees have second baseman Robinson Cano and pitcher Chien-Ming Wang as trade chips, the Rangers boast a highly regarded minor-league crop, including pitchers John Danks, Thomas Diamond and Ricardo Rodriguez, shortstop Ian Kinsler and first baseman Adrian Gonzalez.

Yet the Yankees still have great appeal to Clemens. He greatly enjoyed his five seasons in the Bronx, so when his January 2004 "unretirement" drew the ire of many Yankees fans, Clemens felt bad. Part of him, friends contend, wants to mend that fence. Clemens enjoyed pitching for manager Joe Torre and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre, and he even had a mostly positive relationship with Steinbrenner.

But Torre has said publicly that he wouldn't approve of Clemens' "part-time" schedule; given the Yankees' preponderance of superstars, it would be more difficult for such an arrangement to fly. Steinbrenner, not Torre, of course, would ultimately decide this issue.

Yankees people privately have expressed concerns about Boston's possible involvement but still seem fairly confident they won't lose Clemens to their archrival. There's little evidence to suggest he is as interested in returning to Boston as he is in returning to the Bronx or going to Texas.

Da Bronx or Arlington?

As Roger Clemens contemplates his future over the next couple of months, here are some pros and cons that may factor into his decision:

YANKEES

Pros

He can make amends with the Yankees fans who disowned him following his January 2004 "unretirement."

Once the fans forgive him (which would take roughly 30 seconds), he'll get the energy rush -- and the endorsement opportunities -- from pitching in New York again.
    He knows Joe Torre and Mel Stottlemyre and enjoys working for them.
    The Yankees would be reluctant to grant Clemens the sort of leeway (missing several games to spend time with his family) he receives from the Astros.

Given the ridiculously high expectations in New York, Clemens could tarnish his Yankees legacy if he pitched poorly in September or October.

The Yankees have fewer prospects to offer than the Rangers, and Clemens wants the Astros to get as good a deal as they can in return for him.

RANGERS

Pros

The Rangers would likely be more open-minded to Clemens' scheduling needs than the Yankees would, and The Rocket could essentially commute from his Houston home to Arlington.

He would instantly become the greatest player in Rangers history, surpassing even his idol Nolan Ryan.

The Rangers' lineup probably would provide more run support than the Yankees'.

Cons

Ameriquest Field in Arlington is a hitters' ballpark.

Few accomplished veterans have enjoyed playing for the Rangers' controlling manager Buck Showalter.

The Rangers have fewer accomplished veterans for Clemens to befriend.

- KEN DAVIDOFF

Other links
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/11795590.htm
    http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=56551

The Rangers farm system is loaded with good postion players and the Astros are desperate for them. It's obvious the Astros are not go make the playoffs this year and for the best interest of the future, I hope Tim and Drayton realize this and trade him soon.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Am I the only one who doesn't remember Roger Clemens ever saying the only team he'd accept a trade to was New York? On ESPN no less?

Also, am I the only one who remembers them flatly denying that there was a handshake deal?

This thread with this bogus ****ing article should be locked.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Don't read in then

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wouldn't blame him if the team does not start scoring some runs...worst offense in the major leagues right now.

DD

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Thanks for starting this thread. The talk shows up here in Dallas are ablaze with talk of how the Astros have no real choice but to move Clemens to the Rangers because the Yankees have no really good players to offer Houston while Texas' farm system is stocked. I've been shaking my head all morning at the smug stupidity of the hosts and callers. But that's what happens when your baseball team becomes a bottom feeder...

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It pains me to watch Roger at the end of his career not getting the run support he deserves. Hopefully we can get some nice prospects from the Rangers that can contribute to our rebuilding. Let's get it done Astros.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If someone can point me to an ESPN link where he says wouldn't commit to finishing the season with the Astros and expressed that the Yankees were the only team he'd agree to be traded to, then I'll retract my previous comment.

9. fya

fya Member

He's making 18 mil, there is NO pain.

10. The Real Shady

Pain for me.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Roger for H. Blalock or Teixeira or Soriano straight up....

I'm game.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Too bad they wouldn't be. :)

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Here's the article from the Dallas Morning News...not much difference from rikesh316's article...

Report: Rangers could be among Clemens suitors
    11:45 AM CDT on Thursday, June 2, 2005

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

DETROIT -- They put up Christmas decorations in October, so what’s wrong with starting the Roger Clemens shopping season in June?

A full two months before the trading deadine, New York-based newspaper Newsday reported in Thursday editions that the Rangers could be among a very limited field of suitors for Clemens -- if he’s willing to accept a trade. The paper also cited the New York Yankees as a legitimate possibility.

According to "two people who are familiar with Clemens’ thinking," the Rangers would interest Clemens. Clemens has long interested Rangers owner Tom Hicks. Hicks, currently out of the country, tried to trade for Clemens before the 1999 season and tried to sign him before he unretired and went to Houston for the 2004 season.

The newspaper cited the Rangers’ proximity to Clemens’ home in Houston as making them an attractive option for the pitcher. The Rangers’ deep farm system would likely be an attractive option for the Astros if they are willing to deal him.

It would not be a cheap deal by any stretch. Clemens is being paid $18 million this year and would receive an additional $3 million if traded. For the last two months of the season alone, that would be a $9 million financial investment to speak nothing of the package of young talent the Rangers would likely have to part with.

It could include prospects Adrian Gonzalez and/or Ian Kinsler, a pitcher such as Thomas Diamond or John Danks, and likely at least one other prospect or current young major leaguer such as Laynce Nix or Chris Young.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

At this point, this is nothing more than WISHFUL speculation on the Ranger's part. They have a legitmate shot at winning their division and making the playoffs and Clemens would be the difference maker by giving them the No. 1 starter that they deperately lack. Geographically it makes more sense than a NY trade plus the Yankees cannot offer the same level of talent that the Rangers.

However, Drayton would literally be publically eviscerated for this move and the fans would probably stay away in droves. Over 42,000 showed up on Monday to watch Roger pitch in a 9-0 blowout where the Astros were so pitiful, they failed to get one runner to 2nd base. Just imagine what Minute Maid would look like in August if Clemens was gone. Plus, imagine how bitter the fans will be after watching how well the Rangers are doing with Clemens as they make their playoff run. It will be the Nolan Ryan saga part deux. Good luck selling season tickets for next year. This deal carries the potential to poison the baseball atmosphere in Houston for years to come and that's why I believe that Drayton won't trade Roger but will instead suck it up and take his lumps for the mistakes that has brought about this lost season.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

That is a great deal. I would do that deal w/out blinking.

16. The Real Shady

According to http://www.topprospectalert.com/

Rangers prospects rank -

2005 Top 100 Minor League Infielding Prospects:

#19 Ian Kinsler (21) -- SS -- Texas Rangers
    Clinton (Low-A) 59 Games .402 11HR 52RBI
    Frisco (AA) 70 Games .299 8HR 44RBI

(Astros Chris Burke ranks #20)

#33 Adrian Gonzalez (22) -- 1B -- Texas Rangers
    Oklahoma City (AAA) 123 Games .304 12HR 80RBI
    Texas (MLB) 16 Games .238 1HR 7RBI

2005 Top 75 Minor League Pitching Prospects:

#8 Thomas "Dustin" Diamond (21) Texas Rangers
    Spokane (Short-A) 15.1IP 0-2 2.35ERA 26K
    Clinton (High-A) 30.2IP 1-0 2.05ERA 42K

#21 John Danks (19) -- Texas Rangers
    Clinton (Low-A) 49.2IP 3-2 2.17ERA 64K
    Stockton (High-A) 55.0IP 1-4 5.24ERA 48K

---------------------

Off a quick glance Thomas Diamond looks like he would be a great pickup from his strikeout to innings pitched ratio.

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

rocketman95..

I want to know where he said it too! My friend from New Jersey also claims that he said he would only go to New York. I'm like umm what??? Then he points me to a message board post claiming it as proof. Those Yankee fans think message boards posts are proof..

So I don't know if just they randomly started spreading it around as truth up there in New York.. or he really did say it. Never know with those Yankee fans.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Problem is, I dont see the Rangers unloading anyone other than prospects since they are in the race.....I mean, they arent going to give up Soriano or Texeria....and that being said, I dont want to trot out prospects again next yr. It would be nice to stock the farm, but not when the farm is as good or better than what we have up here.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

We stock the farm so we can put together a very good team next year. If I was Tim, I would send Clemens to the team of his choice. In return, I would ask Clemens to come back to the Astros next year (if he plays). I would use the players that we get out of this deal as a)future Astros or b)trade bait. We definitely need an 8th inning guy, a 5th starter and depth on the bench. We can get bats through FA. Start planning to win in 06-07 or Clemens will not be back.