1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs Bulls : Heroes vs Role Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Role Players arent usually leaders on the team. The Rockets had many leaders.
    While the Bulls without Jordan don;t. That's why Pippen couldn't take the heat.

While you have players like Cassell who relish in the pressure as the #1 option when the game is on the line.

Mario Elie, who helped the Spurs. That's some leadership, Mario was yelling at D.Robinson. Would a ROLE PLAYER yell at the team's SUPERSTAR?
    no. Would a HERO yell at the team's SUPERSTAR? Yes.

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Pippen was past his prime when we got him and yes he was pretty old then. After he left, he helped and led an extremely young talented Blazers team against arguably the best duo of all time in Shaq and Kobe and of course "Big Shot" Bob. You can hate on Pippen all you want but do not discount his status in this league as a Top 50 player. As much as it pains me to say, he was one of the best all around players ever and Jordan would not have won as many rings w/o him and vice versa.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

He was 33.
    He was a great all around player. but not a leader, we brought him in cause we thought he would bring leadership.

When Dream was 33, he lead the Rockets to the WCF.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's leadership:

Paper: Houston Chronicle
    Date: WED 11/03/1999
    Section: Sports
    Page: 7
    Edition: 3 STAR

Cassell schools Francis in finer points of NBA

By BRIAN McTAGGART
    Staff

Rockets point guard Steve Francis has credited Sam Cassell with teaching him a thing or two about what to expect as a rookie in the NBA.

But there were no words that could have prepared Francis for the lesson that the Milwaukee Bucks guard taught him Tuesday night.

Cassell, a former Rockets point guard of the future, took Francis, Houston's current point guard of the future, to school in Francis' regular-season debut at Compaq Center.

Cassell, one of the Rockets most popular players during their back-to-back NBA championship seasons, matched a career high with 35 points on 15-of-20 shooting from the field and dished out 11 assists in Milwaukee's 98-93 victory.

"It's always fun to win," Cassell said. "Not just because it's in Houston; it's fun to win any game on the road."

Francis followed a similar track as Cassell to the NBA. Both started their college careers at San Jacinto College in Pasadena before going on to the Atlantic Coast Conference - Cassell to Florida State, Francis to Maryland.

Though Cassell won a pair of NBA championships in his first two years in the league, he said Francis can expect to take his lumps early, just like he did against Phoenix's Kevin Johnson.

"I thought Kevin got 35 (points) and 14 (assists) every time I played against him," said Cassell, who is with his fourth team in four years since leaving Houston. "But I just stuck with it and stuck with it and eventually I knew I would bite back and do the things I knew how to do."

Francis, who finished with 14 points and four assists, grimaced at the idea that Cassell had his way with him.

"He didn't teach me nothing," he said. "They beat us tonight, but I didn't learn nothing from him. He shot the ball pretty well, but if you shoot 15-for-20 you're going to be in for a long night.

"He went to sleep last night like 7 o'clock so he was ready for this game. He played his heart out. This is the best I've ever seen him play."

Cassell said he doesn't hold any grudges against the Rockets for trading him to Phoenix in 1996 in the deal to get Charles Barkley, though it took him a while to come to terms with it.

"I had a lot of animosity in my heart about the Rockets," he said. "I felt kind of down. I didn't understand the business. I helped them to two championships and they traded me. But now I understand. That's the business. They wanted to get Charles Barkley."

But it was evident early on Tuesday that Cassell had something to prove.

He came out in the first quarter and scored 15 of Milwaukee's 25 points on 6-of-7 shooting. But Cassell's biggest contribution came during a spurt late in the third quarter when the Bucks trailed 71-64.

After dishing off to Tim Thomas for a dunk, Cassell nailed jumpers from 20 and 16 feet out on consecutive possessions to draw Milwaukee with 71-70 with 2:03 left in the period. The Bucks never trailed by more than one point thereafter.

"You could tell Sam was fired up for the game and wanted to come back here and play," Milwaukee coach George Karl said. "Plus, he had a little thing with Francis. Just the way he was into the game early you could tell he was going to have some fun.

"Sam's a pretty good player. I think some people know that in the league. I don't know if it's going to be a breakout year for Sam, but he was ready to have a great year last year and he got hurt. The year before was probably his best year in the league with New Jersey.

"Sam is an old-time player that knows how to win. I think it's really going to be fun to see what he does with this team."

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Does a TOP 50 player treat his fans like this?
    We're still waiting for the apology.

Paper: Houston Chronicle
    Date: THU 09/30/1999
    Section: Sports
    Page: 1
    Edition: 3 STAR

Pippen's ticket out is in works/ Rockets to receive six players in looming trade with Blazers

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Staff

The Rockets' impending divorce from Scottie Pippen grew ugly and near completion Wednesday when the team moved close to a deal to ship Pippen to Portland and the disgruntled forward blistered Charles Barkley in a televised interview.

Pippen said Wednesday there was "no reason to spend three or four years" with a team that would have Barkley, and that he wanted "to get away from playing with" Barkley, whom he had called a close friend last season.

But even before Pippen's comments were made public, the Rockets were already working on a trade that would move him less than eight months after he had been acquired to be a key part of their future.

In exchange for Pippen, the Trail Blazers would send the Rockets six players, at least half of whom would be included only for salary-cap reasons. None could be considered a replacement superstar.

The Rockets would receive forward Walt Williams, center Kelvin Cato, forward Stacey Augmon, forward/center Carlos Rogers, forward Ed Gray and guard Brian Shaw, said several sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The trade would give the Rockets 19 players, four more than they could have on the roster (including players on the injured list) when the season begins Nov. 2. But the Rockets would have to take on the extra contracts to balance the $14.75 million of cap space (in salary and incentives likely to be earned) taken by Pippen's deal.

The trade will not be completed until Saturday at the earliest, according to a source close to the discussions. The Rockets' training camp will begin Tuesday in Austin.

Rockets officials, citing team policy, declined comment.

"We're always trying to improve this team," Rockets vice president Carroll Dawson said. "We never sit down and say, `This is good enough.' We'll be looking at everything. You're always trying to make the team better. We never rest on our laurels."

This trade, however, would be made in part to rid the Rockets of Pippen's escalating contract and increasing dissatisfaction with the team. The last two seasons of Pippen's five-year, $67 million deal (excluding incentive bonuses) would be worth $37 million.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, Pippen's contract would likely push the Rockets so far over the salary cap that it would cost them a severe tax and tie their hands in any player moves.

Other than Williams, who has two seasons remaining on his deal, and Rogers, who has three, the players the Rockets would receive are all in the last season of their contracts.

In Williams, a 6-8 forward with outstanding shooting range, the Rockets would land a player they sought in the 1997-98 season when they attempted to acquire guard Damon Stoudamire from Toronto. Cato, a 6-11 shot-blocker, is considered an outstanding defensive talent, though he has struggled to receive consistent playing time in his two seasons out of Iowa State.

Pippen had requested a trade to the Lakers to be reunited with his Bulls coach, Phil Jackson, and the triangle offense. But the Lakers have opted to try to make their current mix work rather than offer a package that would include Glen Rice and Robert Horry.

Barkley told the Chronicle last month and ESPN on Tuesday that Pippen owed him an apology for asking to be traded so soon after they jointly decided to be teammates.

"Every day before he signed," Barkley said, "Scottie was calling me and asking me if I was going to be (in Houston). He said he wasn't coming if I wasn't staying. I gave him my word, and that's why I signed for what I did ($1 million for one year) when I did.

"Man, it threw me for a loop," Barkley said of the trade request. "I almost fell out of my chair. I felt very frustrated . . . very betrayed. . . . It really rubs me wrong that he'd try to bail out on the team after one season."

Barkley said in August that Pippen could repair the damage caused by his trade request.

"First, Scottie owes the Rockets' fans an apology," Barkley said. "They've been terrific to him. Second, he owes the Rockets an apology. And third, he owes me an apology.

"Scottie needs to stand up and be a man. If he does, we can move on. Everything will be fine."

In an ESPN interview Wednesday, Pippen offered a stinging rejoinder.

"I wouldn't give Charles Barkley an apology at gunpoint," Pippen said. "He can never expect an apology from me. . . . If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his fat butt."

Although Barkley had defended Pippen's play in Tuesday's interview, contending Pippen was overtaxed by ball-handling responsibilities that would now go to rookie Steve Francis, Pippen said he was the one who should be disappointed.

"He's a very selfish guy," Pippen said of Barkley. "He doesn't show the desire to want to win. That's my reason for wanting to get away from playing with him anymore - because he just doesn't show the dedication.

"I probably should've listened to Michael (Jordan) a year ago when he said that Charles will never win a championship because he doesn't show any dedication."

Barkley averaged 16.1 points (making 48.3 percent of his shots), 12.3 rebounds (second in the NBA) and 4.5 assists last season.

Pippen averaged 14.5 points per game, his lowest average since his rookie season in 1987-88, and made a career-low 43.2 percent of his shots. He also averaged 6.5 rebounds and 5.9 assists and was named to the NBA's All-Defensive first team.

"Charles is definitely one of the guys that needs to show more leadership for this ballclub to be successful, and he don't show that to me," Pippen told ESPN. "He feels that if he gets 10 rebounds and double-figure points, he's done a good job. But that's not what the game's about. It's about defending, being professional and coming to work every day. . . . He's not willing to go the distance. There's no reason for me to put my last three or four years at risk of never winning."

Pippen complained throughout last season about his role and said Wednesday he would like to play for Jackson again.

"I would like to play for Phil," Pippen said. "(But) I'm not demanding a trade."

But with his scorched-earth, bridge-burning comments, Pippen could have assured a trade - if one were not already in the works.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

If We have more heroes and Rockets>Bulls, why do they have more championships than us.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

they never changed their uniforms into ugly pinstripes.

its not the Bulls <> Rockets debate. its about heroes. It proves that Jordan was that great of a hero. A Super-Hero. But his sidekicks were merely Robin. Robin can't go out and do anything without him.

The Rockets were like the X-men. A team made of individual heroes that can help other teams.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

All that and you never pointed out the fact that Kukoc has never averaged 20 ppg in a season. Hell, he can't even match Sam's 19.8. His highest average for a season was 18.8.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

good call AstroRocket!

10. Pocket Rockets

milwaukee bucks? ecf? get with it man

horry outplayed rodman in 95 wcf

the sign of a role player hero is to win playoffs series with different teams.

elie
    horry
    drexler
    cassell

lets try this,

drexler
    cassell
    horry
    elie

vs.

pippen
    harper
    rodman
    longley

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The Bulls did have gold or was it red pinstripes on their alternate road jerseys during the 1997 season.

You are a Marval Fan boy.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Alvin choo is speaking out of his other end.

1. get facts entirely wrong. Kukoc avg 20pts?
    2. Oh Rodman guarded Karl Malone? Who did the Rockets play in 93-95 that was the PF on Utah? Carlos Boozer? no..
    3. not knowin Cassell has been to the WCF (three times) and the ECF !
    At least google your stats first before you start dropping them.
    4. Hint on Horry, he's been in the playoffs for 15 years straight.

he's seen everybody, Shawn Kemp, Malone, Horace Grant, Rasheed Wallace, Scottie Pippen, Chris Webber, Dirk, etc

13. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Rodman played as all-star in pre-Jordan era (pistons and spurs) but that the only one who did something without Jordan, the others played awful.

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

1) my bad, i never thought cassell would average 19.8points, kukoc did average 19.7 for Atalanta in 19 games until got traded.

2) yeah and who guarded malone in those games? Robert horry? no..

3) ECF-2001, where he is name as on of the big 3 along with ray allen and glen robinson. WCF- 2 times is with rox and once is that 2004 with wolves along with sprewell and garnett. He was never the best nor the 2nd best players in those team.
    Cassell plays at the bucks team of 2003 along with gary payton, micheal redd, desmon mason, tim thomas and kukoc. Who all average more than 10 points per game. He played very well in a very good team in that 1 year.

4) note to horry as well, his big shot bob all right, and 1 of my personal favorites of all time but he is not the top3 players in any of those 15 years. He was never the in any all NBA team, even those years when they have 3 NBA teams. He was one hell of a clutch performers, not only his 3p which he help won, but those timely steals, rebounds, blocks etc.

But horry was never able to perform as a starter, he do not even average 10 points in his career, less then 5 rebounds and just below 1 block over his career. Having him at the bench you know you got a winner, but you rated horry as a better player than rodman?

"he's seen everybody, Shawn Kemp, Malone, Horace Grant, Rasheed Wallace, Scottie Pippen, Chris Webber, Dirk,"
    But did he ever defend this guys in a game? Rodman did, and did well.

Clutch shooters from that bulls team, steve kerr.

Pippen was the front point and the leader for the portland team, he lead them to the WCF, and got the lead at the 7th game against shaq and kobe.

I'm a rox fan, starting from the dream days till now, i love this team, but saying that the rox 95 team could beat bulls 97 team? You cant just compare stats, MJ plays a major role for bulls, but he does not run the offense, he does not run the def, Phil runs a triangle to limit MJ from hogging the ball like he always does, and MJ would def the best player from the opposition all right, but he do have backup of rodman, and pippen.
    While hakeem, he WAS the defense, and the offense for the rox team, without him, rox would not even be in the playoffs. He carried the team with his massive shoulders.

16. G Rat

G Rat Member

How many all-defensive teams did Pippen make?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

dude. that DOES NOT COUNT. Oh Yeah, I guess you didn't keep up with the NBA, but just the Bulls cause you missed out LOTS of great Cassell action. Its not even fair to compare cause Cassell is THAT much better than Kukoc. I guess you forgot he made the all star team that year, and was 2nd in the league in assists. I guess you forgot the entire bucks team too.
    Yes, Robert Horry defended Malone. We traded otis thorpe for Drexler, remember?
    3) ECF-2001, where he is name as on of the big 3 along with ray allen and glen robinson. WCF- 2 times is with rox and once is that 2004 with wolves along with sprewell and garnett. He was never the best nor the 2nd best players in those team.[/QUOTE]Cough Cough Cough, ok, now I know you dont watch the NBA. You remember Cassell dropped 40 points in a playoff game with Minesotta right? What happened to to Big Dog and Sprewell ?
    He had incredible seasons with the Bucks. What are you smoking dude? please.
    4) note to horry as well, his big shot bob all right, and 1 of my personal favorites of all time but he is not the top3 players in any of those 15 years. He was never the in any all NBA team, even those years when they have 3 NBA teams. He was one hell of a clutch performers, not only his 3p which he help won, but those timely steals, rebounds, blocks etc.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I rate Horry a better overall player than Rodman. Rodman is completely one demensional, you want him to shoot the ball?
    Yes he has defended these guys.

Clutch shooters from that bulls team, steve kerr.
    AND ROBERT HORRY
    ZZZZZZZZ

#57 tinman, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  18. Pocket Rockets

cassell avged 25 pts during a 19 game stretch

at least you agree that he was a good clutch player.

tinman never argued he was an allstar player? he is one of the best clutch players in the game and in his early days was a great defensive presence.
    95 playoff run - malone, barkley, rodman, grant
    96 - kemp
    horry played against the best pf in that era and did well

do you remember their squad? wallace, stoudamire, detlef, sabonis, steve smith, bonzi wells, brian grant, greg anthony....
    pippen did not lead them...he followed. he was 3rd in scoring on that team!
    if you want to make a case for cassell being with 2 all stars, i can make a case for this blazers team.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I remember that Blazer's squad.
    I bought COURTSIDE TICKETS so I can boo Pippen when he came back to Houston. Oh he could hear me and the rest of my Pippen hating courtside sitting posse!

20. tinman

Supporting Member

TONI KUKOC
    2000-01 11.1 pts/game (yes Alvin, when you googled this, you notice that 19.7 avg for the 17 games with the ATLANTA HAWKS, but his true season avg was 11.1) the nba plays 82 games not 17
    2001-02 9.9 pts/game
    2002-03 11.6 pts/game
    2003-04 8.4 pts/game
    2004-05 5.6 pts/game
    2005-06 4.9 pts/game

CAREER NBA AVG:13 Seasons 11.6 pts/game

SAM CASSELL
    2001-02 19.7 pts/game
    2002-03 19.7 pts/game
    2003-04 19.8 pts/game
    2004-05 13.5 pts/game
    2005-06 17.2 pts/game
    2006-07 12.3 pts/game

CAREER NBA AVG:14 Seasons 16 pts/game

Hey Alvin, I heard Kobe averaged 81 points in one year too.