1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets vs Bulls : Heroes vs Role Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, I'll make this less complex for you:
    Subtracting Jordan.

Who on the Bulls would you TRUST to be the HERO ? Who will you TRUST with the last shot to win in the PLAYOFFS?
    Pippen? Kukoc? Armstrong? Paxon?

Who on the Rockets would you TRUST to be the HERO? Who will you TRUST with the last shot to win in the PLAYOFFS?
    Maxwell? Cassell? Horry? Elie? Drexler? Kenny?

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

and i thought it was only the rookies who made the GARM unbearable.

where's the dead horse?

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's some NON-Elton Brand Cassell stats, I'll take 19.8 points as being close to 20:

2003-04:
    Averaged 19.8 points, 7.3 assists and 3.3 rebounds in 81 games played…posted career-highs in points per game (19.8 ppg), field goal percentage (.488, first among guards) and three-point field goal percentage (.398)…named an NBA All-Star for the first time in his career…named to the All-NBA Second Team and the All-Interview Second Team…finished the season ranked fifth in the NBA in assists…scored 30+ points on seven occasions…had 18 point/assist double-doubles…dished out 10+ assists on 20 occasions…named Western Conference Player of the Week for the week of 12/22/04…3/29/05 at Houston, scored his 12,0000th career point…4/4/05 vs. Memphis, scored a season-high 36 points…3/23/05 vs. San Antonio, notched his third career triple-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists…PLAYOFFS: Averaged 16.6 points and 4.4 assists in 16 playoff games, helping Minnesota reach the Western Conference Finals…recorded franchise playoff-record 40 point games vs. Denver on 4/18/04 and vs. Sacramento on 5/4/04.

--yeah..Kukoc on that

4. zong

zong Member

To me, only another hero besides Dream is Robert Horry. Others in Rox = others in Bulls. K. Smith is just a another NBA player who is not better than Harper.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

oh, you want me to satisify your GARM? ok, this is what you wanted.
    YAOMING
    YAOMING
    YAOMING
    YAOMING
    YAOMING
    YAOMING
    YAOMING

There, thats for you macalu.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell? Drexler? Maxwell?

Ron Harper didn't hit 7 3-pointers in an NBA finals. He's not half the shooter Kenny is.

7. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

Didn't Pippen lead the team to a Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals? After MJ retired? I think I'm right but not sure?

8. zong

zong Member

As for the players, Cassell, and Drexler are better players than the role players in Bulls, but as for chemistry, Jordan, Pippen, and Rodam > Dream, and Drexler. Overall, it is hard to say, but I just like Big Bob most besides Dream.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

He also got mad at Phil for Kukoc taking the last shot and then requested a trade. Then we got him, and his LEADERSHIP, HEROISM, and PLAY helped us...
    get beat in the 1st round of the playoffs.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People forget how good Ron Harper was, before the bulls,when he was on the Clips, He was a star...

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Front line battle

Rodman, Robinson and Sean Elliot
    vs
    Horry, Dream and Mario Elie

you'd think we'd lose since they have a huge rebounding advantage. but somehow Robert Horry in the lineup always screws up the other team's defense

I hate the Spurs for giving Rodman away to the Bulls

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Who would you have as a PG?
    Harper or Cassell?

13. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

still... No MJ... I remember people saying they would have the worst record in the league...

Pippen's a cupcake. Everyone knows that, but however, taking a team without God that far has to say something about Pip that year. I think the replacement for God was Pete Myers... LOL!

14. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

Um, i think you're missing about 3 or 4 years in between those events.

Don't you think you're reaching a bit by saying Pippen wasn't a "hero"? Do you mean "hero" in a subjective manner? Because whatever the gripe you have with him (completely understandable by the way) he is still on the list of of the 50 greatest NBA players ever.

I mean, look at it another way, I don't think Jordan would've won those 6 rings without Pippen either ...

15. tinman

Supporting Member

well shouldn't a top 50 player be able to make it to the NBA Finals again or lead his team to the 2nd round or not QUIT on his team after 1 year? Isn't that why we paid him top 50 player money? Pippen wasn't an old geezer when we got him.

what happened when he went to Portland?

16. zong

zong Member

I was wrong for Rodman, he joined Bulls after 94 & 95, but Bulls had H. Grant, he was a very good rebounder. After they got Rodman, then nobody can beat them. As Spurs for giving Rodman away, because Rodman lost the truth in Robinson after Dream overplayed David, then he decided to leave.

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Pippen w/o MJ = Going all the way to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals to lose to the Knicks in 7 games and winning 55 games that season and was many people's choice for MVP that season.

I don't know Tinman, you are a radical. I used to think you were funny but now I think you seriously think we had the best players of all time on that team. I respect your devotion to the championship teams but if you think the team would have even won 40 games without dream you are mistaken. I think it shows how GREAT the dream really was that a bunch of ROLE players could play so well around him because he attracted so much attention. Yes, they were very clutch(some of the most clutch plays of all time) but to say they weren't role players is kind of ridiculous. If you ask any one of those players during those years, besides Clyde, they will say it was the greatness of Hakeem that won those championships and they just played their part.

18. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

I'm not arguing with you, nor did I vote for the top 50 NBA players. I'm just stating what is. If this thread is just stating subjectively that Pippen wasn't a hero, then there's no point in arguing opinions ...

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

There wouldn't be a lost shot because the game would be so out of reach but the Bulls would at least be in the game w/o Jordan and I would trust Kukoc to take the last shot just like he did against the Knicks in the 1994 Playoffs to win Game 3.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

then what happened? he couldn't take the HEAT as being the #1 guy in Chicago, goes to Houston, then complains about being the #1 guy (or at least paid like the #1 guy), then goes to Portland and leads his team to another Robert Horry NBA Classics special.

Shouldn't a top 50 player in his prime be better than that? Would Larry Bird in his Prime help the Rockets to past the 1st round? Would Oscar Robertson in his Prime show better leadership?