1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs 76ers - 12/29/2023 - Last Play (with video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 30, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A lot of debate about what should have happened here.
    Lets have the video for reference if we are going to discus this seriously.

To me, Jalen did have a window to shoot.
    Once the pass was received, Landale had Tate open in the corner and didnt pass to him.

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the only one here to blame is Jock. I've seen a lot of people online that have been blaming Jalen and I think it's silly. Jalen could've taken a shot that wasn't great, but I think passing was the better decision. It's an okay look and it's hard to get a good look in these situations so I wouldn't have been mad if he took the shot. But he decided to pass to Jock which I think was smart, Jock had either Holiday or Tate open in the corners, either of those would've been great options. Obviously Holiday is the much better shooter but you've got a fraction of a second to make the decision and I would've been happy with either wide open corner 3. Going up for a contested 2 when you're down 3 is just downright stupid.

BigMaloe, invocux, tagedieb and 6 others like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Landale wasn't put in the game to take a 5 foot running hook in the lane. Not even to touch the ball. He was there to set screens on the inbound pass so that someone could shoot a 3.

Jalen easily has a window to shoot where Harris gets set back on his heels on the double team. Pull the trigger.

xtruroyaltyx, Nook and HardenReturns like this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you honestly think Udoka at any stage said "if in trouble pass to good old Jock"??

If he want the C to touch the ball he would have put Jeff Green there. He ONLY put in Jock to set a screen so someone else could shoot.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

A better shooter than Tate should have been in. And Landale should’ve whipped it out to the corner.

ashleyem and 34to11 like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The obvious answer would be to get it to Cam. He would've shot that ball before he got on the court. :cool:

Yup. Udoka said Jock was in there to set a screen.

BigMaloe, Amiga, vince and 2 others like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Tate and Landale shouldn't have been in the game. With 11 seconds left, you should design a play for a 3. Whitmore and Jeff should have been on the floor for that sequence with Alpi, Jabari, and Dillon unavailable.

Low IQ shot by Londale put the cherry on top.

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The play was designed for Jalen to take a shot, but opted to hit a cutting Landsdale who should’ve hopped it to Tate or Holiday who was wide open. Quality play, poor execution.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is what I think should have happened, but ... oh well.

vince, AroundTheWorld and Rocketeer like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What tf was Sengun doing?

harold bingo likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jock had one job to do and did it poorly.

Please Stone, get us an actual NBA caliber player for backup center, please!

12. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

fouled out?

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No I obviously don't think that was the plan but things change. Jalen got hard doubled by Landales defender. Landale got the ball with the choice of two wide open 3 point shooters and he chose to throw up a terrible contested 2. I'm not faulting Jalen for that.

corrado and 34to11 like this.
  14. a time to chill

Landale setting a screen

[​IMG]

15. 34to11

34to11 Member

We should be discussing the possession that led to Morris' four point play.
    That was far more consequential.

vince and DrNuegebauer like this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

10 seconds left, down by 3... u should have your 5 best shooters on the floor - end of story.

Easy, JW86, HardenReturns and 2 others like this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The coach seemed to? Take the shot when you see the gap.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Landale tries to force it to Tate, it's either picked by Morris who was playing the passing lane or if it happens to get by Morris, you still just get a rushed, contested 3 by Tate....who is shooting 0% on contested 3's on the season....in fact, he didn't make even one contested 3 last season either....or the one before that.

If he tried to force it to Holiday it DEFINITELY gets picked off by Beverley.

The only real thing he could have done is fake it to Holiday and then pass it to a then open FVV....but there wasn't really enough time left on the clock to do that.

The 76ers left Landale open as a trap and Jalen fell right into it due to his poor BBIQ.....which is why FVV should have been the one handling the ball in that scenario trying to create a decent look from 3 for someone, potentially even Green himself.

The whole thing was just poorly conceived and there's blame to go around.

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I would take any other option than a contested 2 down by 3 with 4 seconds left and no timeout left despite the risks. Jock was extremely dumb.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe the Rockets should have tried the strategy of being up 3 instead of down 3