1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Cameron Oliver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 22, 2017.

1. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

He has great size and athleticism. His motor IMO is terrible though so I don't get the comparison to Faried. Like you can clearly question his passion for the game. I've seen him sulk a lot during games. But he's undrafted so no real downside. Not really sure why we need him but I guess.

Beachem is a name to look out for on the undrafted list as well.. is a 2/3 lefty (I think? can't remember off the top of my head) 3 and D player with length. He didn't really shoot well his senior year but his junior year was really good.

Boucher is one of those "stretch 5's" so maybe Morey would take a flier on him too... he's long, can block shots and play D, and occasionally hit the 3...

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Ha ha ha....

Morey should just wear sleevless shirts...

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Morey got the players he wanted. Good job.

Now lets land a star and free up cap for another.

Hui likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Garner

Garner Member

I totes Jk....i totally saw the other thread.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

NBADraft.net Mock had him going at 37th

Has long arms and extreme athleticism

Draymond Green (just listing Green, not as a player comparison, just the measurements, since he's the new standard for small PFs)

6'5 ¾" Barefoot
    6'7 ½" w/shoes
    236 Weight
    7'1 ¼" Wingspan
    8'9" Standing reach
    28" No step Vert
    33" Max Vert

Cam Oliver

6' 7' barefoot
    6' 8.25'' in shoes
    238.6 Weight
    7' 1.25'' wingspan
    8' 10.5'' standing reach
    28" No step verticle
    39.5" Max verticle

Course, Montrezl is more freakish than both...so

6'7" barefoot
    6'7 ½" in shoes
    253 weight
    7'4 ¼" wingspan
    9'1" standing reach
    no verticle stats from Draftexpress

#26 heypartner, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Vivi, BigMaloe, Hui and 3 others like this.
  7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Hmm. Maybe Harrell is gone then.

With Lou Will and Anderson.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He isn't undersized at all. Legitimate 6'8-6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Here is a couple of post I made about him in another thread a couple weeks ago. The first post I go over some of his weaknesses which lead him to be undrafted, and why I think they can be fixed. Second post I compare Oliver, Harrell and Patterson's college careers.

Cameron Oliver is probably my favorite for one our 2nd's in this draft.

He has everything you can ask for from a PF in todays NBA.

He can shoot 3's at a high percentage and clip. He's a solid finisher at the rim. He's a good defensive rebounder and shot blocker.

He's strong and wide at 240, looks like he'll be able to guard 4's and even some 5's in the post comfortably, he has quick feet to guard most bigs and even some 3's on the perimeter, contest shots and closes gaps well. 7'1 wingspan, 40 inch vert. He's a little short, but a legit 6'7 barefoot which is enough height given his strength and athletecism. Just about to turn 21 as a 2nd year player, has room for growth. Most 2nd rounders this year are 3-4 year players at 22+ years old.

Almost every single knock against him, to me screams bad coaching. If he was coached and utilized properly I think he'd likely be a lottery pick right now. The scouting reports say "low IQ", but really it looks like poor coaching. Poor shot selection, takes contested/off balanced shots, doesn't shoot well off the dribble, takes too many mid range shots, forces the issue instead of passing, not very good at creating off the dribble. Bad body stances and positioning on defense.

Sounds like he doesn't need the ball in his hands on offense, sounds like he's not being utilized correctly, he's being scrutinized for things that he won't have to worry about much at the next level offensively as he won't be the star of his team or a offensive creator. In our system for example, he would just spot up on the 3pt line, do pick and rolls with Harden, and cut to the basket occasionally. No ball handling, no creating, no post ups, no mid range shots. Just wide open set 3's and finishing in the paint off the roll/cut - both which he excels at.

So right now heading into the NBA he just really needs a good system, coaching and experience. The right offensive system will solve most of his perceived problems, outside of that his shot mechanics could be improved, his range can be extended some, his defensive positioning and techniques could be improved, all with simple coaching.

So if he has the work ethic, and is put in the proper offensive system, with the right coaches to help develop him, he should thrive because he has all the physical tools and skills to be a very versatile and talented player in the NBA. I would compare his upside to a modern Serge Ibaka.

Oliver is a significantly better defensive rebounder then Harrell or Patterson was in college, he's also a significantly better shot blocker, and significantly better 3pt shooter as well. Spoiler is their college stats.

Defensive rebounds (per 40 minutes pace adjusted across all seasons played)

Patterson - 6.0

Harrell - 6.2

Oliver - 8.6

Shot blocking (per 40 pace adjusted across all seasons played)

Patterson - 1.8

Harrell - 1.6

Oliver - 3.2

3pt shooting (makes per game / percentage across all seasons played)

Patterson - 0.3 / .370%

Harrell - 0.1 / .250%

Oliver - 1.5 / .365%

Patterson and Harrell were really good offensive rebounders in college, that's why they had high rebounding totals. They outclassed the opponents on the offensive boards, but were always mediocre/poor defensive rebounders. Oliver was also a very good offensive rebounder his freshman year but he developed his 3pt shot more, therefor started playing on the perimeter more and got less offensive rebounds his sophomore year. Make no mistake, Oliver is a good defensive rebounder, 8.5 defensive rebounds (per 40 adjusted) for a PF in college is very good.

Another point I will make about Oliver's rebounding, is that he's wide with big shoulder, to me he plays stronger then his weight (at 240 thats saying something). I think he won't have a problem boxing out NBA 4's, In college he mostly went against centers. I'm optimistic that he might be able to effectively play small ball center as well, but I haven't seen go against NBA quality bigs yet.

Vivi, BigMaloe, No Chance and 3 others like this.
  10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

they play nothing alike tbh cam oliver gets a lot of his points in the paint off aggressive post moves and just being more athletic/stronger than others in the MW conference. and no way he can handle the ball like draymond. but they do possess a versatility to their game if we must compare them.

Rockets FTW and ilovehtownbb like this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

What a ****ing steal!!!

Hui likes this.
  12. heypartner

Not trying to compare him to Green, just the measurements....since Green is the standard for small PF with length.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

o_O

Joshfast likes this.
  15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

gotcha. he's def not undersized at all and even if ppl said he was, he plays above the rim anyways to compensate. his biggest knock is his motor and IQ. if he doesn't get his touches, you can pretty much write him off the game lol

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With this kid, he's got the talent, the problem is between his ears. He's dumb as a bag of hammers and he's got motivation issues. If they can get his head screwed on straight then he could really become a solid NBA player, if not, he'll wash out.

17. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

If we trade Montrezl, there's your better replacement.:D

Von Rafer and Fantasma Negro like this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Big splash

19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

nothing like dwhite, he can actually shoot the ball... no hackahoward here

20. heypartner

I don't know anything about him before today. But your post of weaknesses reads like you're giving him excuses, tbh.

anyhoot, I'll add a weakness A big knock on him I read is he played in a poor conference, so not much competition and ppl think he should have dominated much more consistently for how explosive he is....he inexplicably disappears some games, even against weak competition. That worries me.