1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should turn sights to Sura

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Jul 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

He played very well once he got playing time after being traded to Atlanta at the end of the season.

I know he wouldn't be a pure PG, but was Barry a pure PG?

Check out Sura's stats after the trade...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3019/gamelog

2. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

I agree completely with this idea.

Sura would be a great addition.

3. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

getting Sura would be nice, I saw a few games when he was in Detroid and he dunked on like three players in a game I saw. This of course is whorthless information but I just thought that you all should know that he can dunk.

4. wiws316

wiws316 Member

SUra would be a nice addition, we would have a tall back court

5. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

AHAHAhaha nice nice

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Sura is terribly inconsistent. Do not get this guy. Rockets fans will gray faster than Bobby Cremins.

It will not be a pretty picture.

7. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Triple Doubles, here we come!

9. g1184

g1184 Member

are you kidding me? yea he's got nice stats but do you guys realize this guy's got a personality ****tier than a fresh doggy steamer? when he was in detroit his own teammates said he was "dumber than a brick."

please, lets leave his punk ricky davis wanna-be ass in atlanta.

10. surrender

surrender Member

What about Charlie Ward?

11. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

We need a pg first! And a backup C. Before we get those two fixed, better not touch MLE or TE to limit our options.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

i think sura's previous contract was worth $5 mil per year? surely after last season he'll be asking for more than that?

13. Sane

Sane Member

The thing about him is that he's worse than Barry on defense, apparently too stupid for us to count on help-defense, and is not as good a shooter. Aside from that, he's not a better passer than Barry, nor do I think is he a better rebounder.

For a small contract to backup both guard spots, I'd love it. To be our primary PG? I'd be underwhelmed.

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

Sura is known for his excellent defense and his excellent rebounding. The Hawks put him on the other teams best guard every game and he averaged over 8 rebounds a game during his stint with Atlanta.

The guy is all heart, which I think this current roster is severely lacking after trading Francis, Mobley, and Cato.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

16. RedFusion

RedFusion Member

Yeah I agree, Sura is actually a good rebounding guard and a pretty good defender. But you don't want such a TERRIBLE shooter on this team. He's also known for making idiotic mistakes, driving his coach mad.

17. New Jack

New Jack Member

Shooting is not his strong point, but he's not THAT bad. He's not Eric Snow bad. A 32% career 3 point shooter is decent.

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

Bob Sura is not unlike Vernon Maxwell.

Can play both guard spots.

Can shoot you in and out of games.

Can play good defense.

Can make plays on the court which make you go "DOH!!!!".

:)

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

Manu Ginobili is the same way, but the Spurs are still willing to give him a 9 mil per year contract to keep him.

The Rockets can afford to have one player that's a little wild on the court. Juwan Howard is a much smarter player than Cato, Mcgrady is a much smarter player than Cat and Steve, so any mistakes Sura may make is not going to cost the Rockets that badly.

20. RedFusion

RedFusion Member

Yes, but last year he was only 27% from beyond the arc. Plus he's only about a 41% career FG% guy. This guy wont shoot you into games, only out of them. He scores best when he takes it to the hole. When he gets fouled driving, he fails to capitalize because of his 68% career freethrow percentage.

Although, I was impressed by his performance last year with the Hawks towards the end of the season, when he averaged something like 15 ppg, 8.7 rpg, and 5.3 apg over the last 23 games or so.

Ginobili sometimes makes spectacular errors but Sura will just make you hit your head against a wall out of frustration. If you don't like Francis' decision making, you will hate Sura.