1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should go after Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ferrari77, Jul 4, 2018.

1. smp

smp Member

Love would get abused on the switches but so did Capela. We were best when tucker played center because he made green gaurd him on the 3 point line and he could switch. Love would be a little worse than Capela on defending wings but he would be 100 times better at spacing the floor for Harden to work.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Point is , you can only play one of Capela or Love at the same time , not both - One of them is gonna get abused (Capela less)

Knowing that , I'm not tying up $50m over the next two years nor the assets it would take to acquire a guy who really doesn't move the needle. I'd rather save the assets and use them on a better option.

If we're looking at upgrades , they have to be wings (Jimmy Buckets ?!)

3. smp

smp Member

We only have a couple of tradeable assets- EG and Capela. Neither of those guys is highly regarded so it will probably take both to secure a star and you hope you can sneak Ryno into the deal. Basically like our deal with the Clips.

I would love to land Butler and I would give up Capela and EG for him. Those guys are good players but they aren't elite. Dan Tony, Harden and CP3 make a lot of guys look a lot better than they really are.

4. aroundtheblock2

This is utterly laughable. How the hell did Rodney Hood become such a big name on this board? The guy barely even played on the Cavs....sure he was a decent player during the season but he's not a starter and he never has been. His defense isn't that great either.

This board just kills my faith in Rockets fans sometimes.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

An expiring Butler isn't going to cost you Capela , EG and draft picks …. Not when everyone in the league knows he's walking after the season when his contract expires - Minny has lost all leverage.

Salary filler and draft picks …. that's what it'll take.

Minny also knows they either have to trade for talent or grow it themselves , they aren't going to have top tier FA's knocking at their door - they all leave , usually at the first opportunity. That's a team that has to win with guy's on rookie or RFA Contracts.

Giving them draft picks (Not second tier guys like Cap and EG) gives them ammunition for doing both - home grown or trading for.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I’d take Korver in a heartbeat.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Kevin love isn't going to move the needle . Sure , he's better than Ryan . But isn't his contract worse ?

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

He gets around 25M while Ryan gets 20.5...Love is definitely worth 5M more, no question, still, he's not who will make us that much better imo, we need a true star. And he's also expiring so, if he's going to ask a max next summer, are you willing to give that to him? No way in hell.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

How funny would it be, if the scattered pieces of Cleveland went elsewhere and won a ring. Like love and Korver go to a contender and beat out LBJ and co. Now that would be quality TV.

jb86 likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I would take Love in a heartbeat. But I don't think the Rockets can make the "right trade offer". At this point, I want Eric Gordon, along with James and Chris to be unavailable for trade.

#31 Nimo, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    mockster likes this.
  12. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

It'd be awesome if the Rockets could get Korver and Love. The team would then have 3 sharp shooter (Green, Gordon, Korver) coming off of the bench with Melo* and 2 defensive minded players in PJ and MCW. Plus, the starting lineup would still have 3 + defender in CP3, Ennis and Capela. Very balanced and gives the Rockets a back up plan if Melo still sucks.

CP3/MCW
    Harden/Gordon/Green
    Ennis/Korver
    Love/Melo*
    Capela/PJ

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

why go after Kev Love when you can get Melo for peanuts? i'm not saying they are the same player, but in our systems they'd both be 4's and they'd both be defensive liabilities, but they can both create their own offense both in post, but also spacing the floor and from 3pt. If we can get Melo for a few Mil, it doesn't seem worth the extra $20+ mil just to get Love. And i really do think Love would thrive in our offense and is way preferable to Melo.

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

No. Doesn’t fit what we do. Unplayable against the Warriors.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, Love is obviously better than Melo, but not good enough to be worth it, free agent next summer with a possible max request, he would also likely cost us Gordon and a 1st rounder, if not more...pass.

16. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Love is a good shooter, passer, and rebounder. I would take him in a second. He is more of an upgrade then Melo or anything else we got going on this season

#36 jamisonrocket, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    jb86 and Nimo like this.
  17. mockster

mockster Member

KLove is a rich mans ryan Anderson, not sure why people say he can’t do what we want him to do.

He’s a PF that can hit threes and rebound, he has flaws but he’s still all star caliber player

I wouldn’t mind having him but not if it means losing Eric Gordon.

18. hakeemthagreat

Kevin Durant & Steph Curry would love Kover on the Rockets as well

Nimo and harold bingo like this.
  19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Melo would be the much cheaper option at this point and would bring more dynamic-creative scoring, but thing thing is Love (and Korver, possibly) is you get tons of added depth, willing role players, and fantastic 3 point shooting. Love, nor Melo is a good defender by any stretch of the imagination, though I think Love is slightly better (on defense) and would bring more rebounding to the table. Love would be a great 3rd option player. Though the $25 mm on the cap with a looming max contract, is the major turnoff. But, if Houston is in "win now" mode, then that might be an interesting move.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That would be the most ideal situation, but the thing would Love's contract and Melo "apprehension" about coming off the bench.

DM'sVP likes this.