1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets New D-League Team

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by TheGM, Jul 5, 2007.

1. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

For whoever cares
    As some know , the Spurs bought the Rockets old D-League team, the Austin Toros. The Rockets new team, where Lucas III, Landry, Brooks, Novak, and Newley could end up playing are the........ Rio Grande Valley Vipers

[​IMG]

"The Rio Grande Valley Vipers are a team of the NBA Development League to begin play in 2007. They will play their home games at the Dodge Arena.

Former San Antonio Spurs star George "Iceman" Gervin has recently accepted a position as the team's Head of Basketball Operations.

Former University of Texas-Pan American head coach Bob Hoffman has been named the team's head coach."

2. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Forgot to mention, we share the team with the Cavs and the Hornets. They play in Hidalgo, TX

3. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Valley Vipers doesn't sound to bad.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Rockets can make JLIII play in the D-League next year. NBA teams can only send out players in their first two years of NBA experience. Since JLIII played in the NBA for two seasons already, I don't think he's eligible any longer.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont know if he has was under contract for enough games his first year to have it be considered a full year. Like in baseball, your rookie year deosnt officially happen until you play a certain abount of games that year.

6. xlr817

xlr817 Member

SWEET! I can't wait to get tickets here, but I'm not sure whether they will play here in McAllen, Edinburg, or Mission , TX- which makes up Hidalgo County! Like Harris County is to Houston! :)

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

valley vipers have nothing on the kobra kai

8. The Hungarian Rocket

JL III has already played 2-yrs in the league so as BimaThug said he's not eligible. Newley has a contract in Australia so he'll back for one year.

It's a Cavs logo clone. :D

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think I can make that team.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Well hell with JVG's stupid rotation last year we should have sent down Vspan, Novak and JL3..

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That's FAR better than this this hate to say:
    [​IMG]

12. matty101

matty101 Member

the rockets logo is nice. Plain and simple.

I LIKE! ;)

13. ImG

ImG Member

he said many times during the season that he preferred them to be with the team. he felt they could learn or benefited more in practice and sparingly minutes in the game, then sending them down there. think this was the reason, not sure though.

14. ImG

ImG Member

he said many times during the season that he preferred them to be with the team. he felt they could learn or benefited more in practice and sparingly minutes in the game, then sending them down there. think this was the reason, not sure though.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

cavs and hornets also share an affiliation with the vipers.

16. Bob

Bob Member

They will be playing at Dodge Arena in Hildago. DaimlerChrysler actually has the naming rights to the arena. I have a good friend who probably will have a suite (they actually have suites) in McAllen and will have to check them out this season.

Temporary website http://www.nba.com/dleague/riograndevalley/

17. therox3

therox3 Member

Nice to see some love for the Valley.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Haha :D , Yeah our logo is really basic. No basketball, 2D, one color, etc.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Hell no, rockets have already been down the phallic logo route. The current logo is slick and tasteful.

20. rocketsmetalspd

They will play in Hidalgo Texas Home of the Killer Bees Hockey Team and AFL2 Dorados. McAllen will have an ABA Team call the Sliverados play at their Convention Center. I will go out and support the Vipers since it will the Rockets D-League team and maybe some day they can buy the team like the Spurs bought the team in Austin.