1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to have eyes on Bradley Beal..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Nov 10, 2018.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

In my opinion, Porter makes too much to justify what he would bring to the team. A supercharged Ariza is not significantly better than what the Rockets have. The whole rationale of getting Jimmy Butler was to take the load off an aging Chris Paul and to provide insurance if he gets hurt, as well as to help reduce some of Harden's minutes.

So, since the Rockets would be in cap hell for the next few years anyway, I would rather they move most of their chips in to get Beal. He's a supercharged, younger version of Eric Gordon who really could take our offense up to an all time great level, as well as providing injury insurance.

clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Bradley Beal has a expensive contract, it is best for the Rockets is to find talent in the G League.
    Daryl only weakness is overpaying Free Agents. The Rockets are stuck with bad contracts. It is best to sign and tryout younger players on cheaper contracts.

Robert Covington - Released by Rockets, kept Francisco Garcia, Trevor Ariza, Luc Mbah Moute leave during FA
    James Johnson - Released by RGV, Overpaid for Ryan Anderson
    Hassan Whiteside - Released by RGV
    Demarre Carroll - Preseason Cut
    Garrett Temple - Preseason Cut

Talent in the Minors is better, the More Talent in the NBA, the more it overflows down in the G League. Daryl needs to find more talent in the G League. Need a Montrezl Harrell, Another Gary Clark , Quinn Cook type of backups.

ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Tough.

Beal: Can't see how you get Beal without including Gordon and picks. Feel like SOME other team will trump you on him but not sure really. Either way, he upgrades over Gordon but is he willing to play 6th man?

Porter: Upgrades the wing and shooting, but expensive in terms of cost.

I would of course be excited to swap Gordon and filler for Beal or swap filler for Porter.

macan likes this.
  4. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Maybe. Butler is a star, Porter is not. Porter's contract is pretty massive for a role player. Houston is probably one of the only places that would be make sense to take on a contract like that.

cbs1507 and justtxyank like this.
  6. justtxyank

Maybe you can make a Beal if you take Mahinmi's contract?

Gordon/Knight/Nene/Chriss+a pick for Beal and Mahinmi. Does that make you better? Answer is certainly yes but does it make you MUCH better?

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Has to be Knight, otherwise Tilman will not approve.

Tilman not paying Knight and Porter at the same time.

ReturnOfTheMac likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright, I guess the question is would you rather have Porter+Gordon or just Bradley Beal? I prefer the former because it fits better, not to mention how would you deal with bringing Beal off the bench?

justtxyank likes this.
  9. justtxyank

Right, this is my take. If were 100% sold on Ennis and Clark holding up and being viable 3/D players in the playoffs that would be helpful.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd still say yes, i get what you're saying, but Beal is at least way more consistent than Gordon, that's important.

This deal would be basically Gordon + 1st for Beal, that's a no brainer imo...and i know this may be kinda lame to say but, getting Beal means you're instantly in a great place to eventually trade for a superstar if/when one becomes available.

Cdub37 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Let's say you can't bring Beal off the bench, if we trade for him we start him. The moment we ask him to come off the bench he asks for a trade lol.

12. aroundtheblock2

You want a back up center that's getting paid $16 million for the next 2 years?

13. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Kemba Walker?

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Y'all have any more of those OPM membership pins? If it means keeping EG, I'm all for taking on Otto Porter's massive contract. I love Beal, but getting to keep Gordon is what would make us a true championship contender.

HP3 likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhh, I'm not understanding what you are trying to say here. Do you mean, whats the harm in putting him in the starting lineup? Or do you mean there isnt much he can do even if we bring him off the bench because he was just traded here?

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Trash contract, but that's the same money we're going to pay Knight...i mean, at least Mahinmi play. Not saying that's an ideal swap, but still...

Nope, expiring and plays in the same spot of Chris, someone is going to max him next summer.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Let's say you never know, but i mean, he's basically an all star caliber player in his prime, i just don't see him being ok in coming off the bench.

HP3 likes this.
  18. rammo

rammo Member

All these potential Washington targets seem to be on massive dollars. Even Mahinmi. John Wall getting the same as CP3 is just madness. Say what you will about CP3s deal but I know who I’d rather have running the point (and on the roster in general)...

#IMWT

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screw Beal ... Otto Porter is the steal if you can pry him away. Beal is redundant on this current Rockets build.
    Otto Porter upgrades a position of need. He gives you sniper like ability from 3. Can get his shot off in close proximity to defender. Can get shot off on the move. Long arm defender who runs the floor well. Has a proven track record of torching teams like the Warriors and Raptors. Otto Porter is more than 3 and D. I liken his situation to that of James Harden in OKC. The 3rd wheel. This is the guy we should aggressively target.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Ok, so we are on the same page, regarding him and coming off the bench. The problem I have is that it's an undersized lineup and if Beal is gonna be here, I know he's gonna be better than Gordon offensively(like alot it could be enormous for our offense), thats for sure. But that's a really small lineup that you would have to play for an extended amount of time because Beal is an All star, and I dont know how that works out defensively.

Porter on the other hand can defend, is a great shooter and someone we dont need to create offense(unless you are really high on getting a backup for CP which is understandable) plus we still have Gordon.

It's all about what you are willing to take a gamble on, so what do you think?