1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Mavs interested in Andre Iguodala trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw the same thing with KD and thought the same thing about the injury. What I was asking is what does that have to do with Iggy? If there was a similar injury to Iggy worth talking about, is there a video of it? Did I miss the video?

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We are smart, but we still have come short because of luxury tax savings. I'm actually glad we didn't give Ariza or Luc major contracts, but the House maneuver last year will always stand out to me. The only reason being they ended up giving House the same amount of money they had remaining with their mini MLE last season.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It’s not smart to penny pinch when you actually have a chance to win. As many mistakes as the Knicks FO has made trying to get to a contender level, I have no doubts that they would happily pay tax to try to win if they actually had one.

BaselineFade, Corrosion and J Sizzle like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In general I agree with you .... but DM the GM. You never know what that guy might pull off.

You have to believe that if they were able to bring in a 3rd superstar , Tilman would pony up the dough. (I don't believe it either).

Kinda sucks that we have probably the best GM in professional sports and our owner handcuffs him.

smoothie and D-rock like this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

MLE largely unspent the last two years should be a dead giveaway.

A crumb for Hartenstein and Clark last year and a crumb for House this year. The rest rots.

JoeBarelyCares and D-rock like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. I really have no idea why there are still people defending this. Wasted opportunities. We'll see if something changes...

#286 J Sizzle, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I really don't get this type of post. When we were in the running (or at least thought we were) for Butler, we were willing to give up a ton for him in a move that would most definitely have pushed us to the apron. We were legit preparing moves to have a roster of Harden / CP3 / Butler / whoever we can find off the trash heap.

The questions regarding the Iggy trade would be the following:
    • Do we actually have the assets that Memphis wants and if so, is it worth it?
    • Is Iggy the type of player that would push us over the edge or do we need more?
    • Is it better to try and get him now and hard cap us or try during buyout?

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You should at least wait until the deadline to sign / trade players for the playoffs have past before making this type of statement.

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's what they told us last year …. then they did everything they could to duck the tax including not spending the MLE.

This is the second year in a row they haven't spent the majority of it.

One year I can buy we're waiting for the buyout market , not twice.

Also , the players they have signed as buyouts the past few years …. have all been minimums.

Not spending the MLE is wasted assets and totally contrary to Morey's motives - he's the asset collector that turns a nickel into a quarter. This is ownership and its widely reported "Uncomfortable going into the tax".

The fact that they didn't use the Westbrook trade to bring in another player / add salary should be another red flag. Another wasted asset / opportunity.

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We wouldn't be hard capped first of all.

Memphis is asking for a #1 - that's too steep a price I think.

I don't know if Iggy at 35 puts this team over the top , honestly I question the fit. Now a healthy Iggy from a couple years ago definitely makes you better.

My thing isn't really about Iggy , there were other opportunities missed and it goes back to dumping Anderson and assets to duck the tax and not spending the MLE - TWICE.
    And lets not forget Shumpert's bird rights rotting away on the vine.

"Not comfortable going into the tax"

D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  12. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Why not though? To get even a player of K loves stature will require sign and trade of Shump along with Gordon or Tucker which won't help as much. Iggy definitely improves this team and adds much needed defense on the wing, we havent had a player like that since Ariza.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To get Love without giving up CC.....

If it costs Shump AND GORDON, so be it.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

This is not completely accurate and not even a direct quote from Tilman or Morey. The only real info is that we are not comfortable going $20M into the tax for Iggy and honestly, no player should be for Iggy. Some might end up pulling the trigger, but there is no ownership comfortable about going that far into the tax for a 35 year old player.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It would be a different story if we are talking about spending the remaining of the MLE for a player that can put us over the edge. Otherwise, what is the point? Just to spend money for the sake of spending money?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

the entire team puts them into the tax. its not just iggy himself. and they obviously deem him someone worthy of it per clutch. just likely not at the cost of a 1st round pick atm that memphis is seeking

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If you trade a 1st round pick for Iggy, then you should be FIRED. A player with an injury History and is 35 years old making $17 million. If Memphis doesn't want a 2nd round pick....they can keep him.

Reeko likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Heavily restricted FRP (Shump SnT) in return for Iggy, Bruno and SRP.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Definitely into the tax, but probably not close to the apron. Gordon + Capela cost $29 million; Butler cost $32.7 million.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Like who though?

Just curious.

They tried on the iggy thing Grizz didn’t play ball.

And it’s not like all the other duos arnt in high on payroll either but Russ and and harden are the highest cause their both on super max but the other guys are in the 65+ combined also.