1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets made a 24th Hour Push for Spree!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Jul 25, 2003.

1. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

Dude, get satellite....it's obvious that living in NY, you've never seen Mobley play basketball. Taking the ball to the hoop is his forte. In fact, the best drive to the hoop that Cat has ever had was against your boy, Spree, at the Garden to end a 7 game knick win streak (00-01 season). He took Spree baseline for a game-winner with 8 ticks left on the clock...

"That was a great move," New York swingman Latrell Sprewell
    said. "I shouldn't have given him the baseline. He likes to go
    left and he went left. Giving him the baseline is a no-no but I
    didn't want to get in the middle."

Mobley finished with 16pts, and held Sprewell to five points on 1-of-11 shooting.

2. Lil'ManSlick

Lil'ManSlick Member

Why do ya'll have to be calling sprewwell a thug just because he had an incident 6 years ago. He hasn't caused trouble since then and ya'll still have to bash him. Just because he lives a diffirent lifestyle that most of you uptight Bills and Bobs can't comprehend or understand doesn't give you the right to look down on him. Is the standard of looking and living up to the sophisticated or conservative of your lonely ass. This isn't directed at everybody but it wouldn't hurt if you tryed to get perspective and respect of others cultures.

LMS

3. rock418

rock418 Rookie

spreewel can kiss my azz I dont give a damn about what you say about him not being a thug there are thugs in all races.

4. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I wouldn't take Spree over Cat. Cat catches too much $#it around here.

1. As it's been pointed out Cat's game is driving to the rim. He's one of the best in the league at it, probably even better than Spree.

2. He does whatever the team asks of him, including playing out of position. Every year he's had a different role.

3. His defense isn't as bad as most say. Especially not towards the end of last season.

4. He wants to be here and if I recall he's not as expensive as Spree.

5. You really can't question his heart, he's hit his share of clutch shots and he's the hardest worker we have. If everyone worked as hard in the offseason, we'd be a lot better than we are now.

Cuttino in a word - Underappreciated.

Especially here. :mad:

5. Lil'ManSlick

Lil'ManSlick Member

I agree Cuttino is underappreciated. The problem here is that we are not winning so fans want shake up the roster and he's our only commodity thats actually proven.
    I don't know how many of ya'll actually play basketball but it takes hours and hours to get a shot like cat's. His mid-range is money and did you notice over the off-season he worked on the set three-point shot that was his highest percentage shot. He knew he was going to have to back off his isolations and be ready for Yao to kick it out. Above all of that he still is one the best driver's in the league.

Realize when you have a scoring point guard it interchanges the whole system so he has less opportunities. He has alot of confidense so he is vulnerable to take alot of shots. No problems outside of basketball and the biggest heart on the court. Defensively improving and gradually adapting court vision.

You never appreciate his worth until he is gone. And he could have been gone but he showed his dedictaon to this franchise by taking a pay cut. It's time we start appreciating him.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Cat has two things I like..
    Heart..playing as hard as he did on messed up ankles because he hates to lose is a great thing to have in a guy on your team.

Ability..while streaky at times..he is a good shooter/scorer. I'm even willing to put some of the blame for his streakiness on those bad ankles he played on. He also increased his defensive presense towards the end of the season.
    I have a feeling that VG will be able to rein in Cat's tendency for the bone-headed play this year. Cat wants to win too bad not to do as he's told.

I'm willing to give him time this year to show he can change.
    For the good of the Rox, I hope I'm right.

7. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

we really tried to get spree...??? jeepers!!!!

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't understand the confusion. Sounds to me like this was not about who NY got, but rather who Minnesota got. NY was getting VH and Minnesota was getting a swingman. Apparently, we tried to give him Cuttino, so we could get Spree. But the salary matching means we had to get someone to take some junk off us, too.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not against trading Cat, but I'm glad that he wasn't traded for Spree. Cat is a better player than Spree, and less of a headache.