1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Looking For Third Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 14, 2010.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You're way off. We are talking about the the role of the 3rd PG. He's already going to have a spot as a backup SG. Morey has already said that Adelman thinks JT is starting material. He just might get minutes at the 1 if someone goes down for a while.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yes, his contracted is guranteed. Just because he is auditioning for PG. it doesn't mean he will be bought out. Hill is auditioning for C and failed and the Rockets offered Brad Miller a contract. It doesn't mean Hill is being bought out. He is guaranteed also.

3. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

That's what I thought. No way does that guy ever play as a point guard. The rest of the team might as well not even go down the court with him, he is a "shooting" guard to the core. Like him well enough, but he is not a point and I don't even think it's fair to him to attempt to cast him in that role.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Doesn't Andersen only have a small portion of his contract guaranteed for next season? If anyone is cut, I would imagine it would be him

I would assume the roster will look something like this to start the season
    Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry/Ishmael Smith
    Kevin Martin/Chase Budinger/Jermaine Taylor
    Trevor Ariza/Shane Battier/Jared Jeffries
    Luis Scola/Jordan Hill/Patrick Patterson
    Yao Ming/Brad Miller/Chuck Hayes

5. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Taylor isn't going anywhere.

If he's good enough to be an emergency PG, the Rockets will not sign another one.

He's made the team at SG already.

The Rockets have a roster imbalance with too many PFs. Those guys are on the bubble, not Taylor. We only have 2 SGs.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

We have 12 guaranteed(including Taylor) for next year. They have room for another PG, even with Taylor playing SG.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Again, I could be wrong but why even mention JT at all? It sounds like they are all fighting for the same roster spot.

DD

8. worzel gummidge

We know Adelman's going to play smallball with both Brooks and Lowry. I see the depth at SG like this: Martin, Chase, JBrooks/Lowry, and Taylor.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They are mentioning him because if he proves good enough to be an emergency 3rd PG (ala Luther Head), they may not feel they need to sign a 3rd PG and they can keep a guy will only a partially guaranteed contract like Andersen.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If they are saying that after watching JT play in the summer leagues than someone was hitting the wacky tabacky !

DD

11. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Didn't Ishmael record like 10 asts today? (stupid NBA too lazy to post boxscore). It's pretty obvious he's the best, if not the only, candidate for PG.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

JT isn't fighting for a roster spot. He's got a guaranteed deal for another year. The coaching staff might try out JT at PG but they're not going to cut him if he can't do it. Not in favor of the 3rd pg that might not even play.

In terms of the 3rd pg, Morey will do exactly what he did last year. He'll identify a couple guys like Smith and Ahern who could do that job and then sign them to Rio Grande. Then sign them to 10 day contracts if Brooks or Lowry goes down with an injury.

1 person likes this.
  13. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Nevermind, he only had 6..I was pretty sure he had much more than that, given it seemed like he made so many slick passes today

14. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Ismail Smith looks pretty descant at PG position and nice ball handling with nice shooting skills. Bye, bye JT! :p

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Smith by far looks like the best PG and looks to have great upside (ie become a better shooter). Saw this dude in person tear up my hokies this year in Blacksburg.

16. University Blue

I thought R. Adelman sees potential in JT; projected as a scorer on the second unit?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Looks like Morey is looking at Smith as the scoring PG to jump in....

When and if AB gets hurt or traded IMO :cool:

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Taylor's already signed.. plus he doesnt sucks, he's being a scorer (ala Von Wafer) How is he not smart? How has he not played smart, if he hasnt sucked?

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Rather see whats left when other teams make their rosters then decide. Maybe get a free agent? From what I have seen in Summer League no less none of these points are ready for primetime. More turnovers and trouble getting into half court sets. No thanks. We already have players who have that same problem at the NBA level and feeding Yao in the post is one of thoise jobs too. When they can find that guy? Maybe Smith can? If we can find a post feed player who can lob over the top or down low to Yao? Thats who we need.

20. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

Why don't you like AB?

That's 2 post in 2 diff. threads ive seen were you have said something

About AB getting traded...