1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Oct 17, 2018.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure that by now many Rockets fans are tired of hearing about how our defense will take a huge step back by replacing Trev and Luc with Melo.

As many have pointed out, Melo is replacing Ryno, and Ennis and MCW(GG) are replacing Trev and Luc in the rotation. The media acts like Ennis and MCW don't exist. I heard Richard Jefferson echoe the same sentiment this morning on Get Up.

Losing a defensive guru in Jeff B has only added to this narrative.

My question for Clutch fans is are they right? I loved the effort, length and BBiq that Trev and Luc brought to the table.

I guess what I'm asking is can Ennis, and MCW at least be comparable defensively?

I just saw the Vegas over under at 56 1/2, even though we should be much more explosive offensively. That makes me a bit nervous. Do all of these experts and former players know something about Ennis or MCW that we dont?

I personally think we can still be a top 8 defense. I like what Ennis and MCW can bring defensively. I think that Jeff B's scheme and style can be kept going with our current staff and veteran players.

But admittedly i am a die hard and I want to believe.

Am I being delusional, or is our defense really about to fall off the Cliff as everyone nationally is predicting?

LET'S GO ROCKETS!!

napalm06 likes this.
  2. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Yeah everyone looks like they are in slow motion, and JAMES HARDEN IS NOT THERE I have no clue

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The defensive coach quit AFTER the free agency and BEFORE the season started.

That should tell you all you need to know what he thinks of the defensive capability of this team.

Rockets can sugar coat it all they want but the timing of him jumping the ship speaks volumes. He wouldnt have quit if he thought this team had a very good chance of dethroning the Warriors.

You cant bring in players like Melo, give them extended minutes on this team, and then expect your defense to be rock solid.

Melo + Harden together on defense = SUICIDE. There is no getting around that.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

....sucks

D-rock likes this.
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

What defense?

napalm06 likes this.
  6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

What an embarrassment.

Guess the media was right. We look awful.

I mean no defense? Please tell me this is a bad dream.

PeterKingX and buffalobills!!! like this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Media is right.

Media is always right about the Houston Rockets!

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Non existent

9. sirjesse

Supporting Member

AD made Capela look like a Towns, Er, clown, tonight. Please tell me that is not a Burger King Crown in his hair after signing that contract.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

defense is not about 1 or 2 guys - its a team thing...
    but MDA is such a genius.... and he really had a lot to do with that defensive tenacity last year (or so i was told...)... im sure he'll figure it out... smdh...

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

Bring Bdzelik out of retirement. Make him an offer he can’t refuse.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Defense?

Like non.

D-rock, BaselineFade and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

just out of synch everywhere, would we look the same with Ariza and Luc on the court? i dunno if that would have made the difference

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Gave up more points in regulation than any game last year. The only game we gave up more (142) was in 2OT and we won.

I'm not drawing any broad conclusions based on one game...but this should be a wake up call at least.

15. mockster

mockster Member

We’re missing one thing

RocketWalta and jsingles like this.
  16. sirjesse

Supporting Member

I think he looked at our roster and said for a defensive coach it is indeed an offer that cannot be refused.
    If we start playing at nba speed vs my speed walking into work we will be fine. Sure looked like dead legs tonight.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Gave up 30+ each quarter. 100 by the end of the third. Slow and sloppy. No excuse NO has just as much turnover if not more and they ran the home team off the court and owned the paint straight punked the Rockets. Upsetting effort.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  18. BackdoorHarden

YES. YOU ARE DELUSIONAL.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Utah just gave up 34 points in the 1st Quarter

to THE KINGS

D-rock, DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

We ended the season with a shameful performance and started another in the same way. This team is amazing, it always surprises me in the worst way. There is no other strategy than throwing 300 shots of three points per game. As expected, the defense was a disaster. Months to improve the defensive side and the result is this, simply ... amazing.