1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Oct 3, 2022.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hopefully the improved performance keeps up but even if they have struggles… perhaps the most amazing transformation is in the Rockets “culture”.

I guess it was Wood? I also wouldn’t discount the new assistant coach grouping.

last year they seemingly had a coach that couldn’t coach, a star that couldn’t star, a rookie scorer who at least initially was an inefficient scorer, a cheap insanely talented 3rd yr player with attitude problems… but even with all that there wasn’t even a culture pointing to what they wanted to be someday.

Now … they just have a culture now. It’s humble but confident, it’s high iq and effort, it’s offense AND defense, it’s HUNGRY.

it might not result in 30 wins. But it’s an identity and something to build on.

Jackson has post game interviews up. They’re all fantastic. Alpi is so … wise sounding. The Tari/Bari bros get what they bring, get what helps in winning, very high bball iq answers. But I’d like to point out Bruno’s specifically. A dude who was kind of a “maybe…??” Not at afterthought at all but not someone most were thinking “I hope to see news if a contract signing for Bruno before tonight’s game!”

but if you listen to his interview, again - this is a dude that seem to understand his game his potential role how to add values and has fully bought into the group and team and identity.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Chemistry takes time with so many different moving pieces. Culture takes longer. Learning HOW to win is where this young team is currently at on the timeline. Very inspiring first preseason game and all I can hope for is that they leave it all on the court each night. Play hard and smart and the results will usually be desirable.

Really REALLY like what Bruno can bring off the bench especially as the best pick and roll big we currently have. I hope he doesnt get lost in the shuffle.

Believe It! likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Having a team with a path towards winning does a lot for culture even if the winning may still not be great, yet.

Believe It! and Nook like this.
  4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

They were all young, people are impatient and don't want to wait.

5. MystikArkitect

Bruno x KPj is a thing and Jalen x Jabari x Sengun is a thing. It's interesting because defense breeds culture. When you have a culture around offense, the only time I can remember it being a healthy one is with a truly selfless star PG (Nash) and maybe Curry. Outside of that it's usually some stars trying to get theirs. Like PSG right now with Messi/Mbappe/Neymar or the Yankees always trying to buy home runs and wins. Scrappers like Jabari/Tari who pride the defensive end bring a winning culture. Couple that with a superstar talent who also buys in and you have something.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Amazing what a preseason win against a tanking team can do to a fan base.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Let us wait and see what happens, it has been one pre season game.

Last year the Rockets had a number of questionable culture guys like Wood and Schroeder that are now gone.

The guys they have right now are young and figuring out who they are as players and who they will be as men. So far guys like Jalen Green and Jabari Smith and Sengun have all been good guys that work hard and haven't developed huge egos. However, things change - looks at the Thunder team of 10-15 years ago.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sure beats the cringe passive aggressive insecurities of middle aged men!! :D

Dont worry this team will lose a good amount of games too!

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I haven’t really watched sports in the last 2 years because both the Rockets and Texans front offices look like jokes… and I think Baseball is lame… But seeing social media highlights of these young players having a blast out there makes me want to give them a watch this season.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You did not pass the vibe check

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, to me its not even the win.

Watch Silas' post game conference.

I mean, there was barely any goofy dumbass smiling and a lot more of a "this is serious, we being professional" vibe.

Which absolutely may all amount to nothing.

But I appreciate, beginning with KPJ's media availability, there seems to be a culture being created that COULD be the one to push the team forwards.

#11 JayZ750, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022