1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Francis Speaks! Q&A

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theREALDEALkid, Sep 19, 2008.

1. theREALDEALkid

HOUSTON - The draft is done. The free agent frenzy and Olympics are, too. Preseason is still more than a month away. Yep, we've officially entered hoops hibernation.

So to get you through the basketball void, Rockets.com will spend the next few weeks catching up with various members of the team to find out what they've been up to this summer. The tour continues today as we chat with Steve Francis.

JCF: First things first: I gotta tell you - I get more emails about you and your comeback from injury than I do about any other player on the team. It's unreal. Do you have any idea how many people are interested in you and how you're doing?

SF: I think it's because this is where I began my career. I've grown to love Houston, the Rockets and everybody. And it's overwhelming and it feels great knowing that I have the opportunity to make this team better.

JCF: So let's get right to the question everybody wants to know: Everyone wants to find out if we're going to see the old Steve Francis again. How are you doing physically?

SF: I'm not going to sit here and say I'm 100% because I'm not. I still have a ways to go. It's going to be a tough process, but I'm willing to sacrifice. Even if I don't start the season, I know within the next three or four weeks I'll be 100%. I don't want to go out there if I'm not 100% and possibly re-injure myself.

JCF: So you're looking at another three or four weeks until you're 100%, or before you can go full-out on the court?

SF: Before I can go full-out. The surgery I had, they say it normally takes people about a year to come back. I'm at month six and hopefully within the next three to four weeks I'll be ready to go.

JCF: What have you been able to do during the summer?

SF: I've just been rehabbing and I just really started hitting the court about two weeks ago. I wasn't playing, I was just swimming and doing things like that. It's been a process and I made a schedule for myself so I don't try to rush myself to get back because that's what hurt me last time.

JCF: So you have a personal trainer?

SF: I have my own trainer, Anthony Falsone. Me and Yao use the same trainer and he's been doing a good job.

JCF: And basically all you've been able to do cardio-wise is swimming so far?

SF: Swimming, yeah. Nothing pounding because obviously, if you ask any doctor, that would re-injure it before it gets better.

JCF: So you feel like cardio is the biggest thing holding you back right now?

SF: Stamina, yeah, because I haven't played in like eight months. It's tough, but I'm a fighter and I'm fighting through it.

JCF: You said doctors say it typically takes about a year to get back to full-strength. Do you feel like it's likely you'll be more of a factor in the second half of the season, because it's just unrealistic you'll be able to come flying right out of the gate?

SF: Hopefully. I mean, I'm realistic. I don't know. I just have to get here and get going in training camp and practice. But as you can see, I've been working my [butt] off. I lost ten pounds. Last year, they said I was too fat. Now I'm 195 pounds, so there's really nothing else I can do to get my stamina back.

JCF: So is that the weight you're hoping to stay at?

SF: Hopefully (laughs). I'll try.

JCF: I guess it's tough when you can't do too much running around?

SF: Exactly.

JCF: Have you been able to do any weight-lifting?

SF: Yeah, I've been lifting here and there. But like I said, man, I'm gonna be ready.

JCF: What do you see your role being with this team?

SF: I'll know once I get to training camp. I just have to prove it there, even if I don't do the contact drills. Once I get an opportunity and a chance to get out there, I'm definitely going to do a lot.

JCF: I asked Rafer and Aaron this same question, so I'll ask you as well: When you look around and see the weapons this team has with guys like Artest and Barry joining Yao, T-Mac and Scola, I feel like it's got to be a point guard's dream come true. Does that provide motivation for you to get back out there?

SF: It does. I think that we're all competing to do the same thing. I think it'll be good - it's like every position we have by committee. We have three guys who can come in and give you this amount of minutes and be successful.

JCF: Now there are a ton of doubters out there with regard to your ability to come back. How do they affect you?

SF: I don't even worry about that.

JCF: What about the people who say you've already made your money so the fire is gone?

SF: Right. I don't even worry about it. I've been getting paid for ten years, so it aint about the money, you know what I'm saying? It's about me getting out there and being able to play.

JCF: Considering everything you've gone through the last few years, has that re-ignited your passion to play?

SF: All I do is look at old tapes all day. I look at old tapes of myself and other players and that fuels me right there.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Five_Minutes_with_Steve_Franci-282725-34.html

2. SeeingRocketRed

We want Steve! We want Steve! We want Steve!

Sounds like he won't be 100% at all this season though...

Any chance Morey can steal another all-star caliber player from someone?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great interview. A+. 10/10. Fantastic.

Jason, when you move up the food chain at the Rockets or somewhere else, I sure hope they replace you with someone decent. You have raised the bar at Rockets.com very high.

Keep up the good work.

4. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

With Morey, Impossible is nothing. :D

5. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

i hope he doesnt end up like bob sura who was never to come back at all.

6. redao

redao Member

sounds like Steve wont play at all.

7. joesr

joesr Member

So whose next? Lets get Scola? Maybe Barry? I am interested in seeing what he plans on doing with us...

8. theREALDEALkid

why do u say that, am i reading it wrong...he says he should be 100% in 3 to 4 weeks...and he says he watches old tapes of himself all day...that has to spark some old fame...i think Stevie will make a comeback

9. bin

bin Member

hopefully 2nd half of the season he'll be 100%. if the old SF3 comes back man... the team's gonna be unbelievable.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The doctors said it normally takes a year to come back from the type of surgery he had and it's only been 6 months. By the time he's ready for full contact drills, the season may be half over. He said 3-4 weeks but he may just be in denial or trying to push it. It sounds like Steve is done folks. The doubters were right.

All you need to know is in this part of the interview:

JCF: So let's get right to the question everybody wants to know: Everyone wants to find out if we're going to see the old Steve Francis again. How are you doing physically?

SF: I'm not going to sit here and say I'm 100% because I'm not. I still have a ways to go. It's going to be a tough process, but I'm willing to sacrifice. Even if I don't start the season, I know within the next three or four weeks I'll be 100%. I don't want to go out there if I'm not 100% and possibly re-injure myself.

JCF: So you're looking at another three or four weeks until you're 100%, or before you can go full-out on the court?

SF: Before I can go full-out. The surgery I had, they say it normally takes people about a year to come back. I'm at month six and hopefully within the next three to four weeks I'll be ready to go.

11. sook

sook Rookie

exactly.

12. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

It would be interesting if he started, since every starting position except PF would be occupied by a once all-star (assuming Artest starts).

13. BrooksBall

I assume you are talking about 2009-10. There is a real chance Steve won't even play a minute this season... in any type of role. He may be inactive by the end of the year.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hands down, without doubt, question, or speculation, Steve Francis is my all-time favorite Rocket. No disrespect to dream or clyde, mosses, even Sampson, i still think SF3 is my favorite player to watch, read about, and even discuss. I can't explain why, all i know is that he's a big reason why i'm a rocket's fan. This article psyches me up so much for this season.

15. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

appreciate your work jason.

with all the hype of how steve's doing, i was reading the interview so quick that when it was over, it felt short. heh.

well there goes everyone's fantasy that steve will dominate in training camp and become the undisputed starting pg ... from what i got from the interview, it sounds as though steve's at a point where he realizes that this is it ... the opportunity to leave his legacy with a remarkable comeback or to choose to remain as one of those special talents who fell off the face of the basketball world in what seems like a blink of an eye. he's motivated and i think he's mentally ready. let's just hope his body cooperates.

we'll see how it turns out ... but man I'm really pulling for him.

It would just be that much sweeter to have stevie contribute to this up and coming season ... i mean especially this season. i feel as though ... if we can't get it done ... (and it's still odd for me to expect us winning it all when we've made an infamous rep for not getting out the first round) then our window will be closed. we've got all the pieces in place (well hopefully we will sign landry and mount mutombo b/c it wouldn't be the same without them) ... all the players we've loved and experienced the joys and hurts with ... they're all here and we're hungrier than ever to shut up the critics and shove that championship trophy down their throats.

i honestly couldn't imagine a more opportune time for us to win it all than this upcoming season.

16. BrooksBall

Which part psyched you up the most?

The fact that he's only halfway through a year long recovery or that he laughed about trying to keep his weight down? Maybe it was when he stated that he hasn't played basketball in 8 months.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

you don't like me for some reason, and i'm not sure why.

It's the fact that he's psyched, he says he can be back, he wants to give it his all. He's never lied to me in the past, I have no reason not to trust him, and above all, he wants to win. Maybe we're not getting the old SF3 back, but we have something. He's lost weight, he's been training and when he hits the court again he'll show us what he's made of. I don't know how you couldn't be exited about all that.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

haha yeah i wish him the best though. im pretty sure he is doing everything he can. he knows this is a great great chance for him if he can come back and play that this could be a special year.

just because he laughs that he hopes he can keep his weight in check means nothing.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, Steve's trying to come back from a surgery that requires a year to come back from but he's trying to speed that up and come back in basically 7 or 8 months. It sounds like another injury is waiting to happen on his horizon. I admit...I have serious doubts about his ability to make a positive impact on this team. I see him starting out the year on the bench and not playing. Then, maybe he will start to play as the season progresses but short minutes with a lot of inconsistency due to the length of time that has passed since he last played. I don't see him being a major impact player this season. I guess I was thinking he would be good to go this season but, clearly, that is incorrect.

Good luck, Steve. Your going to need it.

20. Jimes

Jimes Member

Wonderful interview, thanks JFritz. Yeah, I'm setting my expectations low for Francis (like, not going to play more than 5 mins low) and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm kind of wondering if he fits anyway. Can he still shoot the 3? Play D? Not dribble for 10 secs? At least he wants to be here and has the ability.