1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and Mavericks talking trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I am hearing that the Rockets and Mavericks have discussed a trade with the Rockets getting the #10 pick in the draft, and the Mavericks would get #20 and other assets, possibly future draft considerations or a player/players on the Rockets roster that do not make a lot of money.

No idea who the Rockets would want at #10, but I first heard the Rockets were looking to trade up from someone else outside of Houston - and then I heard that the Rockets and Mavericks were in discussions about the #10 pick - so I am pretty confident that the conversations are going on as both people are reliable and work in the NBA.

Do the Rockets want the #10 to try to move up from #4? (It would take more than #10 to move up).

Do the Rockets intend to move the #10 to another team for future draft considerations?

Do the Rockets want to move some players currently off the roster and the Mavericks want them?

Do the Rockets want someone expected to be available at #10, like a Coulibaly? Lively? Dick?

I don't know......... so I am just passing the information along.

2. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

I wonder if Ausar could drop to 10 and we could get both Thompson’s!

Sean Dr34ms, Bo6, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Buzzing with anticipation. This is a great lottery class, would love to consolidate some guys to get another player from it. Or the possibility of trading up is even more exciting.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets being aggressive to trade up to 10 is VERY exciting! You can get a really good player there!

5. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

KMJ and #20 for #10? Sounds fair to me.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t think it would take more than 10 to move up to 3 . Especially if Portland goes full rebuild .

I like a bunch of guys at 10 . Of course it depends on who is still there

leonard miller ?
    Dick ?
    Black if he’s still there ?

a lot depends on what we do at 4

I can’t imagine the mavs would be too jazzed for our roleplayers . Kmj and Tate are OK . 10 is a bit rich for either of them . Both ?

do we throw in one of JC , tyty, Usman ?

edit . And I love Tate . Think he’s massively undervalued at this point . That’s part of the downside of tanking and not trying to do mediocrity. All your players get undervalued by teams trying to win

#6 snowconeman22, Jun 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Granted I don't hear much about the stock of a particular player outside the top 5 - but my guess is that Ausar is long gone by #10.

My educated guess is that the Rockets may want to get ahead of a team that is picking 11-19 for a player the Rockets want.

So my guess is Lively or Dick - but it could be anyone in that basic 10-15 range.

I also wonder if someone like Tate or Martin would go to Dallas.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dick at 10 would get me excited. [​IMG]

9. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Throwing in Tate or KPJ in too if we have to wouldn’t break my heart.

BasketballMind, vince and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  10. Salvy

Salvy Member

They prob tryin do Doncic for Sengun, please don't do it Stone.....

11. Nook

Nook Member

I doubt the Mavericks want KPJ - I think Tate and/or Martin make a lot of sense for the Mavericks.

I was surprised that the Mavericks wanted to move out of 10 - they tanked down the stretch to get a lottery pick, and I expected them to target Lively at #10.

Martin and Tate are both solid rotation players for a team like the Mavericks though.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

@Nook, what do you think it'll take to get into the 2nd or 3rd pick? I really want Scoot....

13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Move up to 10 then use that pick and future first round picks to move to 3 and draft 3rd and 4th. Let's get frisky like the texans

14. Nook

Nook Member

The cost to get Scoot Henderson is very high from what I have been told.

I would love Scoot Henderson on the Rockets - but I don't think it is going to happen.

I think the Rockets likely get Amen Thompson with a slight chance at Brandon Miller or Cam Whitmore.

15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Suns, Mavs, any team with a star heavy team with no depth are trying their hardest to get the Rockets on the line.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

You think #4, #10, KJ and/or Tate, and a future Nets pick would do it?

pippendagimp and Rockets FTW like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If not a trade up for Scoot, I'd hope for Kobe Bufkin or a team with a top 9 selection making a mistake.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Makes some sense.

The Rockets have tons of cap space that they have to spend.

The Rockets can move players like Tate and Martin and a few others for assets - and then sign replacements at a higher cost, but still end up with assets that help the club.

I know that Martin has been very aggressive about wanting to get the bag - so maybe that is part of it.

It is also possible that players like Tate and Martin won't get a lot of minutes after the Rockets are done with free agency and the draft.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Lively, Black or Dick - would like any one of those.

No Tari, Sengun, Smith or Green but your choice on who else. Or a future protected pick. It’s not like we’re going to need more young prospects after this draft if we get 2 more top 10 this year.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

My first thought was "sell Cuban on KPJ", not going to lie. Exactly the kind of Chandler Parsons "buy high" move he would probably make.

Maybe then we can turn around and pick up both Amen and Cason Wallace? Best man gets to start, the other one is a bench player.