1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and D’Antoni working on extension?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 19, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Without winning champ, mda thinks it is all Jeff fault.

2. dshay7

dshay7 Member

While MDA is no Pop, he’s still one of the better coaches in the league. Those of you clamoring for his termination clearly don’t understand the value of continuity. While there’s no guarantee that we win a chip with him here (though it is plausible), you can bet that bringing in a different coach and starting over with a new system ensures that the window of winning with Harden is slammed shut.
    The plan should be to keep MDA and get a more talented roster. Also, if we could lure someone like Jeff Van Gundy to come run the defense, all the better.

Roc Paint, Plowman, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

He has no shot to win a ring. Isn’t that clear?

4. dshay7

dshay7 Member

Over the past 2 years, he (and the Rox) have had the best shot of anyone outside of Oakland. We are literally doing battle with one of the greatest dynasties in modern sports. Isn’t THAT clear?
    If there’s a coach out there right now that you think will magically put us over top, please....do share.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I didn't realise you'd take my sarcastic suggestion of an U18 coach seriously.

But hey, have you heard the definition of insanity?

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

With him without Jeff, this team gets worse in playoffs.
    No extension, wait for good playoffs coach.

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

We need to improve the squad we can’t do better with this roster against GS. Especially with CP3 declining so badly. Golden state is just too good we have too many unplayable players against them. And the worst part is we have a center who earns big bucks and plays worse than Looney. We need to get rid of Capela. We had 5 playable players against GS this year. Harden, CP, Tucker, EG, Rivers. And all of them are short. We need more length and size with proper defence and shooting.

We were better equipped last year with Ariza and CP3 actually playing like a star.

This year we would’ve been swept if Harden didn’t improve so much and averaged 35.

PeterKingX and smp like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.. no.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

the anthony has been useless since he got rid of his mustache, the source of his powers

amaru and dachuda86 like this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If a Nick Nurse can coach at a high level, coming from the Vipers anything is possible.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People here with b**** about anything like the little b****es they are

HP3 likes this.
  12. Nivos

Nivos Member

All of you guys complaining, is there any better coach out there?
    Who do you want Ty Lou? Dave Joerger or however you spell his name?
    A new coach and a new system takes time to build and to be honest this team currently constructed was producing 110% of its talent.
    The answer, as its always is- is more talent. Hoepfully on the wing.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That's the thing.

At the moment there really isnt a better coach out there.

But at the same time, Mike is not the answer either.

So i guess we stay with him for now.

Can always fire his ass if needed to lol.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Check Defensive rating instead of low averages. We held them that low because we slowed the pace way down. Our defense at the end of game 5 and 6 were horrendous, you can even check the numbers. I wish Jeff wasnt gone cause I dont think these numbers reflect his coaching but the personnel we have.

Lol, we were one of the worst defensive rebounding teams all year, this should not surprise you. Defense was the problem, this was not last year's Rockets. We were a worse defensive team overall period. Also what are these offensive adjustments you have in mind, cause we didnt have problems scoring on them at the end of game 5 and 6. I would really REALLY love to know.

Who else should have been in, it was pick your poison, Clint was getting killed and Nene was doing better. If Nene was younger he probably would be our starting center. And for the record Nene was in because we were GETTING KILLED ON THE BOARDS. Looney would kill us on the glass every time we went small.

What other coaching fails??? Our offense was doing fine, we couldnt get stops, that is the reality. Go check the numbers for games 5 and 6.

Oh please, you have no way of knowing that and Carlisle is lucky to even have one championsip. Not saying hes a bad coach(hes actually great from what everyone says) but Dantoni is doing an adequate job, this is scapegoating.

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  15. jowman

jowman Member

D’Antoni May be a great coach in terms of understanding the game, but he isn’t a winner. One or 2 bad losses is fine but when you’ve got a track record of these close losses on your resume it looks bad. A lot of it is on him not being flexible and able to adapt to the situation. That said he’s still a great reg season coach. And with sufficient talent on team the team can still win in crucial playoff games. Just expect D’Antoni to be a small net negative against great teams in playoffs.

Watching this Portland series has made me appreciate him more tho. Their HC is a joke. Bad defense letting curry go off and come back from 2 20point leads in 2 games. And he has audacity to point out Houston’s defense.

16. bmelo

bmelo Member

You counting this year? Lets wait till Warriors run into Bucks first

17. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

So what if he makes us competitive but not quite over the hump? This is his second team with good all-star representation, and he hasn’t figured it out. Kerr learned from Pop. They both share in offensive diversity bc they both know how to run multiple types of offenses when the circumstances require.

MDA needs to advocate for some set team plays and be open to midrange when all else is becoming easy to predict.

amaru and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

The defensive rebounding problem is MDA's fault, not Jeff's. Same with offensive rebounding.

MDA doesn't want any of his players to crash the boards, he wants them to quickly get to the other side. This basically means that the only rebounder we have is Capela or our center... anyone/someone already in the paint. If you are outside the paint, MDA wants you running to the other side of the court asap: no venturing into the paint to challenge, no wasting time trying to look for/ or go get the ball.

If you are outside the paint after a shot, get to the otherside of the court. It's an MDA philosophy I'm against. I'd like to see us crash more, and judging my Bzdeliks Nuggets team he'd probably like to see us crash a lot more too.

It's the extremes like that from MDA with no adjustment even when needed is what makes him a loser. It was the same everywhere he's been. Terrible with his timeouts, terrible with in game adjustments. He is an ok head-coach and he'd be a great offensive coordinator.

At the minimum I want a good head coach.

McHale was a awful head coach and his Rockets team made it to the WCF with a lot less talented Rockets team. So I'm sorry I'm not too impressed that MDA got there in 2018. There are glaring weaknesses in his coach-game that needs to be resolved.

#78 Realjad, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Funny coming from a dude who b****es about b****ing

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

ZOMG you don't say! I can't create absolutes out of alternate scenarios? ZOMG