1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and D’Antoni working on extension?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 19, 2019.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think there's U18 rep coaches who actually understand the fundamentals of time outs. We could start with them?

amaru and lw17 like this.
  2. lionaire

lionaire Member

Love it! Now let’s get our guys some defensive minded assistants.

RyanB and HP3 like this.
  3. LUK3

LUK3 Member

amaru likes this.
  4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I think others just see the potential the team has with a better coach. MDA has severe weaknesses that aren't improving that is severely hindering us. It's the culprit that brought down all the other great teams he has had the privilege to coach. It's the same complaints that have always been against him. Steve Kerr himself even recognized it when they were a duo & understood it wasn't going to work. Harden is an all-time talent.. McHale, who probably is the worst coach I've ever seen try to coach at a professional level even had our team with James Harden in the WCF. That isn't me over exaggerating. McHale literally is the worst coach I've seen in professional basketball.

We see MDA's terrible timeouts, terrible rotations, terrible in game adjustments, we see him continually out coached & continually make the wrong decisions at key moments in key games.

Basically, we see the potential to be had with someone a bit better and more well-rounded.

I don't hate Dantoni. I like his personality, I like that he has a lockeroom with very little conflict. I like some of his philosophies to the game. He is a bad in game coach, among many other things. It can't go unnoticed or unresolved if we ever want the trophy.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Look, I know some of you arent happy abou this. But lol this timeout crap has to end. That has nothing to do with anything.

Nook likes this.
  6. pippsux

pippsux Member

Not gonna lie, saw the Twitter feed on my phone, thought "Mr No playoff adjustment" was getting fired. Oh well... :mad:

amaru likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Scapegoating.

8. Realjad

It's not 'scapegoating' when your claims of what is going to happen and explanations as to why it will happen go on to occur as described.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets adjustment issues were on the defensive end and not really so much on the offensive end.

Deuce and HP3 like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would have liked someone to run his offense but with more movement, but a proven coach capable of doing that is not really available. I would much rather they extend him than let him coach on an expiring contract, that's for sure.

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I can understand that it might have been either Jeff goes or you both go, but from that to now working on a 3 year extension!? Something's not adding up...

Stormy1234 likes this.
  12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The whole "second best team is basketball" thing makes no sense to me. I wasn't aware that fans/management should look at this as a success. Do we get trophies for being second best? This team regressed, and why do we have to assume that we can't do better than D'Antoni? No one should look at taking the warriors to 6 in the second round as some sort of moral victory. I had a real problem with the coaching in the playoffs, and the number of horrendous choke jobs in the regular season.

J.R. likes this.
  13. csc177

csc177 Member

Harden knows “exactly” what needs to be done this offseason....this was it.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

People can’t accept this. Dominating theme here is that the offense didn’t work even though games 5 and 6 had the same problem: couldn’t stop the same damn play

Deuce, Plowman, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd be pretty confident with a more apt in-game coach such as Rick Carlisle, we would be embarrassing Portland right now.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Jeff Van Gundy 2020.

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lol. Um, we have a veteran team fam. Bringing in a coach who's never coached NBA superstars, or HOF point guards, is the WORST idea ever thought of. Firing MDA for a less experienced coach makes absolutely no sense

Reeko and HP3 like this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

in the nba history, Mda is one of the best coaches in the regular season, but one of the worst coaches in playoffs without defensive assistant.
    My idea
    2 million salary with 15 million championship bonus.
    No ring, no job, no pay check.

#58 BigBum, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is so ****ed up..

Thanks for confirming what we all thought cyber

20. Realjad

Yeah it's our defense that sucked.. ya know, the defense that actually kept us in the game and the one that held Golden State to their lowest averages than any other team in the playoffs. Yeah.. thats the defense that needed adjusting

lol get real. We needed to adjust how we crashed the boards and we needed to make offensive adjustments in game.

I guess if you want to talk defense, the big defensive problem was the rotations Dantoni had. Nene should not have been in the game those final seconds that led to a loss. Atleast MDA admits that was a coaching fail on his part, the issue is the other coaching fails he denies. The big defensive lapses we had were personnel and bad on court lineups.

Little Bit likes this.