1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and D’Antoni working on extension?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 19, 2019.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

According to the Warriors' ownership, among Mark Jackson's issues were :

a) he couldn't get along with people in the organization ... I remember he demoted Brian Scalabrine, his assistant coach, to the G-League or something back then. lol. Then he fired another assistant coach because that coach was secretly recording meetings to supposedly forward to the front office. Why is this bad? Read b)

b) one of the first things ownership told him was that they wanted to have the best coaching staff in the league and that money apparently wasn't an object. Just go get the very best. Jackson apparently said, no, he was going to stick with the staff he had.

So... you're going to stick with your guys instead of hiring the best money can buy and then you can't get along with them, either? Doesn't look good, man ...

This makes me very interested in knowing what's going on behind-the-scenes with the D'Antoni negotiations. Are there any ultimatums or "change requests" being requested by management. Are any of those holding negotiations up? Was Roy's departure part of the whole thing? No idea, but ... this is still interesting.

Sajan, RyanB and pippendagimp like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Meh. I don't care about all that. Coaches who bring their whole posse with them has always seemed a stupid exercise. It's ok if they bring 1 or 2 of their most trusted guys, but it has to pass a quality standard. Bzdelik and Rogers were great hires, and if the people who hired them think we can do better (and have the money to do it) then great.

In any well run organization, the hiring goes through an HR filter and in this case the head coach is part of the interview/termination process as well. I'd rather Morey finds people and takes MDA's recommendation vs MDA looks for the most qualified person among the people he knows and tries to find out if Morey is cool with them. I'm sure MDA can recommend candidates too.

Times have changed a lot. IMO we need a defensive assistant AND an offensive one now because MDA's engine works fine but the components surrounding it are from the 90's. Milwaukee, Toronto, San Antonio and Golden State have demonstrated a critical function we're lacking: the discipline of moving well off the ball around/without your star scorer.

As recently as last season, I thought this was a function of us having a mediocre supporting cast, but it's becoming obvious this is a matter of discipline, training and preparation. The team without Harden needs to be able to overcome its lack of athleticism and shot creation ability with crisp movement of the ball and players.

BigShasta and RyanB like this.
  3. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Didn't want to read all 12 pages to see if this has already been posted, but...

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Let 'em all go! Fire all of the assistants! Fire all of the guys who should still have jobs and keep the ones who shouldn't!
    Better be bringing in the Warriors of coaching staffs.

cheke64 and J Sizzle like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't like this one bit. dude went brain dead and froze up like a deer in headlights at the end of games 5/6.

BigShasta and J Sizzle like this.
  6. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Is that Stephen Silas' music that I'm hearing?

amaru likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl trying to get his puppet in here.

8. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cyberx is truly the gawd

BigShasta, treyk3 and amaru like this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

Sigh...Mike’s getting that extension :(

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If they wanted him gone they'd fire him. Tilman isn't scared of firing a coach.

12. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

2020 postseason analysis starts here.

BigShasta and J.R. like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

I’d be interested in hearing Jackson’s side of things. The truth is almost always in the middle