1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' 22 in row in jeopardy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BlastOff, Dec 14, 2008.

1. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

The Celtics are beasting with 14 in row. With a record of 22-2 it seems they could easily match or overtake the Rockets' record from last season. j*zz, Hawks and Bulls are up next; Hawks look like the only team potentially getting the upset.

Here's to hoping the Celtics fail to match or overtake the deuce deuce.

2. RiceNinja29

RiceNinja29 Member

Dikembe Mutombo to boston!!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/12/14/no_need_to_jazz_up_his_record/?page=3

Once Dikembe Mutombo passes out his gifts, he hopes to return to the NBA for a final season, possibly with the Celtics.

The 7-foot-2-inch, 260-pound center said last week he hopes to sign with a team after spending Christmas with his family in Atlanta. The four-time Defensive Player of the Year said among the teams that have shown interest are Boston, San Antonio, and Miami. The former Rocket also said Houston has "not answered me." The 42-year-old, who has blocked 3,278 shots during his 17-year career, said he is in "good shape" from working out three hours a day with spinning classes, yoga, and weightlifting.

"You'll see me in the next two weeks," Mutombo said. "I will be somewhere. I really need to go back to playing. I've just got to make sure that I go to a place where I can be happy. There are about four to five teams that I've been looking at and about seven teams that have shown interest. It's up to me to make my decision."

The Celtics have the maximum 15 players and would have to waive one to make room for Mutombo. While Boston's starting center spot is solidified with Kendrick Perkins, his backups include seldom-used Patrick O'Bryant and undersized Leon Powe and Glen Davis. The Celtics have not replaced the veteran experience and length that free agent P.J. Brown brought late last season and have interest in Mutombo, but have not offered him a contract.

"The way Boston is playing right now with [Kevin Garnett], Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen, the team is heading in a direction toward winning another championship," Mutombo said. "It will be interesting if I made the decision to go there. It would be very good. I've been to the Finals twice [with Philadelphia and New Jersey]. I got close, but I walked away empty-handed. Maybe going to Boston would give me a chance to win.

"I would love to play until July and then retire after this season," added the eight-time All-Star. "My plan is to play this season. If my mind is set to play basketball, why not?"

The Dikembe Mutombo Foundation also recently announced its drive to gain donations by allowing contributions through text messaging. Founded in 1997, the foundation is attempting to eradicate many childhood diseases in the Democratic Republic of Congo. By text-messaging "Congo" to 90999, one can send a $5 donation to the foundation that will be charged to his or her cellphone bill.

Taking it easy
    Hoping to ensure his star's long-term health and taking into account high minutes logged for USA Basketball in recent years, Cavaliers coach Mike Brown was aiming for LeBron James to average only 38 minutes per game this season.

So far, James, who is in his sixth season, has made it even easier on his legs, averaging 35.1 minutes. James, who turns 24 Dec. 30, averaged 39.5 minutes per game as a rookie during the 2003-04 season, which remains his career low. The 6-8, 240-pounder has been aided by numerous blowouts this season and played a season-low 17 minutes in a 117-82 win over Oklahoma City Nov. 26.

"I wanted to make a conscious effort to get him at 38 and I hoped for 36," Brown said. "To get it below that is exciting. Here's a guy that has also played a lot of basketball the last four or five years on the USA team. It takes a toll on your body."

3. tofu--

tofu-- Member

AW HELL NAW

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This thread is premature. If they were around 18, sure there can be vibes. But many a team can win 14 straight. Few have reached 20, let alone 22...

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The record isn't 22 and I don't care if the Celtics win 50 in a row. I just want to see the Rockets have some postseason success.

6. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Last I checked for the Rockets it was, the Lakers have a winning streak of about 30+ games..

7. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

No it's not. Go Hawks!

8. Tmacfan0115

Tmacfan0115 Member

Hawks ended the Cavs' winning streak. I could see the Hawks ending the Celtics's as well.

It's also in Atlanta where they won their 3 games in the playoffs.

If they cannot beat them I can see them losing in Christmas day against the Lakers.

Which would end their winning streak at 19.

9. allforone

allforone Member

they are the repeating champ.....so,if they do. Go with it .....which I believe they will.

and as for Dikembe, I am kinda happy for him.....

10. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right, the Lakers have the record with I believe 33 wins sometime in the early 70's...................

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Seconded. I'll be cheering my heart out of the Hawks this week.

Them matching or beating our winning streak from last year is probably the only thing imaginable that could make me hate that Celtics group even worse.

12. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

Although we won 22 in a row, but still didnt past 1st round, so win streak is not so important, we need to make break in playoffs.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Relax, people. That win streak is going to be safe for a long time. Every year teams run off 13 and 14 game win streaks. None of them have ever had the magic that last year's team did.

14. HoustonJames

HoustonJames Member

They don't have Steve Novak.

15. daernoth

daernoth Member

If Dikembe goes to Boston forget it... the Celtics repeat easily.

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

They do have a ray allen though.

17. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Deke better not go to Boston or I will seriously be pissed with the Rockets' front office. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one...

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Premature. A lot like the threat the Lakers posed to the Rockets' 15-0 to start a season. Where did they end up? 8-0 or something?

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Safe? We don't even have the record for longest win streaks so at this point it doesn't matter if Boston passes it.

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Second place isn't a record.