1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What happened to @YOLO ? What the hell did I miss?

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Time itself is the ultimate Weapon.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No need to be jealous at all dude, they stopped tanking at least one year before us and their best player was not developed in-house. Even with that luck, they can't run away from us and we're catching fire.

Last season they finished with 40 wins. We finished with 41 this season. I predicted so specifically before the season we are going to be the new OKC and that after a post-ASB resurgence people will talk about us as the team that plays basketball the right way. That's exactly where we are and we can offer 4-5 picks in a trade just like they can and we have financial flexibility just like they do.

The team that makes the wisest next trade will have the advantage imo. It's all in our own control.

#123 Mathloom, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Moe and Philip K. Nick like this.
  4. mightybosstone

I don't mind them moving the pick, but it better be worth it. They need to maximize the value of those Brooklyn picks, no matter what.

Whether it's though the draft or by dealing it, I'd like to see them use that asset to add a legitimate long-term rotational shooter. Ideally a guard who could replace Holiday's minutes and function as a backup PG or at least a secondary playmaker.

Other than that, I agree I don't think they need to do much this offseason. Give the kids another season to grow under Ime and make the tough decisions next year with Sengun, Green, FVV, etc.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'll be shocked if the Rockets just hold steady and run it back. I don't think that's happening. I think there's going to be some urgency this off season to get into the playoffs and maximize their ceiling.

Y2JT likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Are there any high efficiency 3 and D shooting guards we could trade for? We need the taller more efficient version of FVV.

jch1911 and Corrosion like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol most of those kiddie guards have never sniffed the Playoffs like the good old Fred.

That is when it dawns to me that Fred already lived a career and made the Finals while these young guys have just begun their careers......

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

BigMaloe, Little Bit and Nook like this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m thinking the same. There is too much smoke for there not to be some fire.

Going into this offseason, we have a top 10 pick, a bunch of tradeable contracts, and six highly valuable prospects. If we’re looking to make a big move, there’s probably not going to be a better time.

snowconeman22 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does this Han Yolo possess a Houstonian falcon....

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Another thing I find strange is wanting to revamp a team that went 41-41. Seems like this team is already heading in the right direction. Only concern is Jalen and if he can get his **** together to be a good player the whole year. The other is Dillon Brooks. He is a good role player, but wouldn't mind an upgrade there. Rest of the roster seems pretty well set to me although I would love a consistent knock down shooter. Hell trade Dillon for Cam Johnson if you can get the Nets to bite.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But they can make the playoffs by running it back. Barring injuries or a serious regression by Alpi and Jalen, there's no way this team finishes only 41-41 next season. If they win 45-50 games, they're in at least the play-in.

They need to give this group another year. I'm fine with making moves prior to the trade deadline, especially with all the expiring contracts they'll likely have on the books. But don't screw with the chemistry and momentum they've developed.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Agree with you to a large extent but isn't the player you hope to acquire (rotational shooter) exactly Cam Whitmore?

Right now there's nothing Cam does well but shoot, attack closeouts and finish in transition. He shot really well as an 18/19 yr old rookie - should we be bringing in competition for his minutes or should we be making space for expanded minutes? Stands to reason he's going to be a better shooter and improved player in his second season.

Personally I think if we brought such a person in, one of them or Whotmore will be glued to the bench. Where would they fit? Here are the guaranteed contracts only:

Sengun/Adams
    Jabari/Tari
    Brooks/Amen
    Green/Whitmore
    FVV/Amen

That's 9 players and Udoka likes to keep a pretty tight rotation. Doesn't include Landale, Tate, Green who have team options. Assumes we let Holiday and Bullock walk.

Bringing in another shooter imo would be like suddenly giving Bullock 25-30 minutes. I can't see how we'd have enough minutes for all our talent in that scenario. I can't see a good player joining us with minutes situation so bleak.

Not sure we have room for anything but 3rd stringers. We have 6 core young players which leaves room for just 3 great vets in the rotation to get good minutes (FVV, Brooks, Adams). Remember we never had everyone healthy and playing at the same time, day 1 of next season is already crowded. I think the move should be to keep upgrading those vets while these young guys rise.

Alternatively you draft a project who starts coming online when we're in the thick of contention.

Excited for once to have a roster that deserves patience.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The only real similarity is that they are both good shooters & defenders.

Risacher has much better ball skills and is a pretty good passer.

He's also a natural 3, not a 4.

Honestly, I think Risacher is the prize in this draft (along with Cody Williams).

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not sure what the other nations are doing but the French Wave is coming for some reason......

What are the Serbs and Slovenians doing......

I am interested in Risacher, Sarr and Salaun.

16. mightybosstone

I don't see this as someone who would battle with Cam for minutes. I'm looking more at those 15-20 minutes a night Aaron Holiday got and thinking they could do better. A PG or combo guard who can be a knockdown shooter and either defend, run the offense or both. But to your point here, I kinda think that's why I'd prefer to just keep the pick and draft someone in that spot instead, like Sheppard, Walter or Dillingham.

Wasting the pick on a random deep rotational guy seems like a waste of an asset, but if they could get a really solid 6th man with potential to grow with the team long-term, I guess I wouldn't be totally opposed. To your points above, though, there's not a lot of minutes to go around, and if you're sending out a top 10 pick, you're probably not getting someone in return who's going to be happy with 15-20 minutes a night.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

honestly until we move Dillon Brooks we already have a serious minutes crunch that threatens to stunt the growth of some of our best prospects. Not sure how folks think we’ll have enough minutes for Amen, Tari, Cam and Brooks as currently constructed.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Amen Thompson will be the Rockets back up point guard next season.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

What if we trade FVV towards a star?

Nook likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not unless Amen learns how to dribble the ball up the court. Better defensive teams will also not respect his shot when Amen has the ball on offense ... Amen will get the Ben Simmons treatment. Having Amen play significant minutes at the 1 is not winning basketball, so I only see Ime giving Amen the reins on offense for short windows.

Long term, the Rockets and Ime certainly want Amen to be a 1. Amen is an exceptional talent. We will see if Amen can develop his shooting and PG skills. But for now, Amen is a 3 who is great on defense and finds his own points on offense, which kind of makes Amen and Tari very similar players at this point.

#140 No Worries, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    BigMaloe, jch1911 and Nook like this.