1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 100% trying to get Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

True, Boston can offer the most assets. It is just "will they?"

But this media report also screams "Hey everyone, we want your BEST OFFERS NOW, we really mean it!"

BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Indiana doesn't really have the luxury of waiting for other teams' contingency plans. Every day that goes by, PG's value goes down. They should take the best deal they have right now.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well they probably already are taking "crap" back. :p

4. Nook

Nook Member

Let's see if the Celtics are even able to sign Hayward or Griffin. Both players would be giving up money and both have strong roots where they play now. Unless the Celtics have information no one else has, they are taking a big risk. It is quite possible that they strike out on both Hayward and Griffin and have to settle for a lesser player or sitting on their assets another season. It is why so many people that have experience running a team raised an eyebrow when the Celtics did not make a run at Jimmy Butler.

Also Tatum and Brown are nice young pieces, but neither are close to can't miss prospects.

The Celtics can be sitting really pretty if everything falls right for them, but it is far from guaranteed....... not much different than when the Rockets almost added Chris Paul and Chris Bosh........

malakas likes this.
  5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We need to target Cousins if Paul is in the fold and PG is out.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, how easy we forget how the best laid plans...

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's not necessarily true... it all depends on LAL.

Because all they need is Boston and LAL BOTH wanting to get PG13 this year, and they have a market, frankly from the two teams that make the most sense anyway.

I mean the "leak" above couldn't have come from inside the Celtics organization. Because all it does is potentially signal to LAL, make a better offer or your dream of PG13 next offseason is gone.

In any case, the Rockets are in the rear-view mirror on this. If they have a chance at PG13 its because Boston can't figure it out in time after FA starts, and LAL thinks they should wait until next offseason because they really believe in his desire to come to LAL. It seems unlikely both of those happen... but then again the Rockets acquired Harden because other teams passed on trade offers.

I'm not in love with CP3, but I think Rockets definitely should put most of their eggs in other baskets. CP3 + Millsap. Hayward + Blake. Etc.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sucks, but I have to hope at least one of those guys gets moved in a Paul George trade (if it happens). If they only move salary and the Brooklyn pick... duh-damn. That would suck.

9. justtxyank

It's frustrating really. As hard as Morey tries, as much work as he puts in, he can't overcome luck. I can only imagine his level of frustration at failing to put together a super team to date and yet watching them fall into other GMs laps.

Bobby Marks is on twitter saying it would be tough, wouldn't be a "deep" team but Boston could have Horford, Heyward, Thomas, George, Tatum, Brown, Smart and then a bunch of minimum guys.

That top 4 would be right up there as a top group AND they'd have two high upside young players still. Just frustrating as a Rocket fan.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Unless Nola wants to welcome back Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon I don't see anything the Pelican's would want on our team. That's the thing...

We never had assets to begin with. Nobody is trading a star player for anyone on our team not named James Harden.

J.R. likes this.
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

They got him for the 10th and Buddy. Capela, Bev, Ariza, first rounder can't get it done? That is going with the assumption that we are able to dump Lou and Ryno without giving up one of our more valuable assets.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

That's not on Morey, That's on Les Alexander. Morey would have tanked and traded away Yao and T-mac to start a rebuild really fast but Les isn't going to ever go for it. Les loves his stars and won't let Morey trade them.

We will never have a Rockets team that tanks on purpose and if we do I guarantee you the Les will force Morey to trade those draft picks for a veteran "star".

That's the world we live in folks. Morey having to work with one hand tied behind his back.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I bet Boston does NOT offer Tatum, Brown or Brooklyn pick. I bet it is Bradley/Crowder + late 1sts.
    I bet Boston does NOT surrender the Brooklyn pick or Lakers pick.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

How the F*CK do the Nets still owe the Celtics a pick? Unreal.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nets got bent over.

16. justtxyank

Agreed. I think the offer you laid out is close to what it will ultimately look like.

17. malakas

malakas Member

This Woj bomb is clearly a leak from Indiana to make the Lakers and other teams up their offers.

But if I was indiana as soon as Hayward or Griffin said they would sign with Boston, I would up my price for PG by another good asset. Boston at that point would be desperate. Coz if the PG trade doesn't succeed it's even possible the FA they have agreed with to sign, may even change his mind.

18. malakas

malakas Member

That will not do it. Indiana can always say no. At that point the situation will have changed and the pressure would be on Boston to make the deal happen and not Indy.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

You must not know Danny Ainge. He's been holding on to his pot o picks for over 2 years. He isn't going to make a bad trade.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bradley/Crowder/Smart + 1st.

I don't see them giving up: Brown, Tatum, LAL 1st, BKN 1st. Those assets would be off the table. Maybe Brown OR LAL 1st could be in play at the most.