1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2921 Buck Turgidson, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    B-Bob likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You really think Trump voters would be chastened by the revelation that Trump really is as dirty as people have been saying? All while Trump keeps his soapbox from which he can constantly spout new propaganda? People don't work that way. There will be no repentance.

da_juice likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good question. It all relies on the notion that politicians typically sour over time even in their own party, and everyone always wants fresh meat. Is there a Trump fatigue within his own cult following, or will his megaphone just grow louder in their ears over time? That's a great question.

If the Dems take back the House, and especially the Senate, Trump will be neutered with very little legislative power that cannot be undone (hello Obama Executive Orders being undone the past year). He'll be forced to leave office or back away from his businesses. His kids will be brought in front of Congress in open hearings. It will be a miserable 2 years for the Republican party.

However... your point is taken that even then, does that weakened Trump from a power perspective help him politically with his base that could help him in 2020 where if he wins again and takes back control of Congress, we are really in for a world of hurt where he can seize even more power.

I'm not entirely sure I'm not wrong about this, and if there is a price to pay if the Dems allow a criminal to stay in office just for political purposes.

#2924 dobro1229, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Dutch Report Reveals Obama Administration Knew About Russian Hacking in Real Time

Our Mistake-in-Chief has damaged relations with our allies.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trumps spy story withering away...

adoo, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

LOL... trump and rudy were trying to get the investigation away from the obstruction area...

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Rep Trey Gowdy: “The FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do”

Well another nothing burger

adoo and B-Bob like this.
  9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

10. adoo

adoo Member

On Fox News, of all places, Trump’s ‘spy’ claim is debunked by Trey Gowdy and even Judge Napolitano

After attending classified Justice Department briefings last week about the FBI informant, House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said Tuesday he is now "more convinced" that the FBI acted appropriately in its handling of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible connections to Donald Trump's campaign.

"President Trump himself in the Comey memos said if anyone connected with my campaign was working with Russia, I want you to investigate it, and it sounds to me like that is exactly what the FBI did. I think when the President finds out what happened, he is going to be not just fine, he is going to be glad that we have an FBI that took seriously what they heard."

Former Judge Andrew Napolitano, a Trump favorite, was similarly unimpressed with the claims being made by Trump and Giuliani.

"The FBI spying allegations seem to be baseless — there is no evidence for that whatsoever, But this other allegation with this professor — whose name we're not supposed to mention — that is standard operating procedure in intelligence gathering and criminal investigations."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/77597...-demolish-trumps-spygate-allegations-fox-news

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Gotta give Trump credit for "go big or go home" wrt obstructing justice.

JeffB likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And the public blatant lies. He's only ramping it up.

JeffB likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Trey Gowdy and Judge Napolitano say "this is nothing, it isn't a spy thing," then you know it isn't.

Of course, Gowdy at one point wanted to be a judge and Napolitano, well, look at her title, so I think they are more inclined not to crap on law enforcement for political points. Maybe. Unless the name Clinton was involved. :confused:

14. NewRoxFan

This could become big...

15. NewRoxFan

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump would rather burn the country to the ground than face the consequences of a lifetime of corruption up to and including his time in office. I have a hard time seeing a Nixonian ride off into the sunset in which Trump is pardoned for his crimes in return for agreeing to walk away for the sake of the republic.

He is cornered and will say and do anything to rile up his supporters so he can stop the investigations into Russian espionage and, especially, Trump’s own finances.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trump’s Lawyers, in Confidential Memo, Argue to Head Off a Historic Subpoena

President Trump’s lawyers have for months quietly waged a campaign to keep the special counsel from trying to force him to answer questions in the investigation into whether he obstructed justice, asserting that he cannot be compelled to testify and arguing in a confidential letter that he could not possibly have committed obstruction because he has unfettered authority over all federal investigations.

In a brash assertion of presidential power, the 20-page letter — sent to the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, and obtained by The New York Times — contends that the president cannot illegally obstruct any aspect of the investigation into Russia’s election meddling because the Constitution empowers him to, “if he wished, terminate the inquiry, or even exercise his power to pardon.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/us/politics/trump-lawyers-memo-mueller-subpoena.html

No Worries and Amiga like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The real question is - will Trump be able to take over as dictator before the mid-terms?

Seems if he can crush Mueller and take over the FBI, then he should be able to claim the elections fraudulent and therefore disallow them. If he gets assists from Russia with a major cyber attack it could help him declare an emergency. To me, given how much trouble he would be otherwise, you have to think there is at least a discussion around this going on between him and his most trusted loyal people.

19. NewRoxFan

Shocked, I know...

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dictator is a strong word, but I think if you look at the lax rules Erdogan and Netanyahu get to rule by in their respective countries, I think thats where we are going in the next year. The supreme court will be the last line of defense in many cases over Trump's last two years in office during his first term I can guarantee you that much, and its sort of anyones guess which way they will swing when it comes to presidential power interpreted by our Constitution when you have folks like Gorsich on the bench.

But no, I don't think Trump fires Mueller. I think he just refuses to even acknowledge whatever comes out of the findings, and the Republicans in Congress will refuse to move forward with Impeachment. Again... we are talking about the guy who thinks he can shoot someone on 5th avenue. He likely believes he can survive ANYTHING politically, and he might be right.

It will be sold as widely partisan by team Trump/GOP, but I actually am starting to think that Mueller might be willing to indict Trump in order to ensure that Rosenstein (or the acting AG at the time if Rosenstein is fired) has to follow through with passing on his report to Congress in which the findings could not be buried. Then it gets sent up to the Supreme Court, and if the Supreme Court ultimately decides he can't be indicted, they will likely recommend to Congress proceeding with Impeachment hearings.... which is a way more convincing recommendation to Congress than from Rosenstein who is under fire politically & will be sold as a key witness who shouldn't have been overseeing this case to begin with.

Seems most likely now though that Trump seems to be setting in for a political battle in the public sphere to survive whatever Mueller comes out with in the next few months, he doesn't get impeached, but is politically more damaged than before, and after he survives I'm sure you'll see a housecleaning at the FBI and DOJ including Sessions, Rosenstein, etc. and then the next scandal up will be with the SDNY where Trump is in for another round of recommendations for impeachment & folks around him getting indicted.

Same thing though... no impeachment if GOP is overseeing Congress. Then the Pardons start flying out the window. I think ultimately he survives all of this, but will forever change the blatant corruption that the United States will now be accepting in line with what is accepted in countries like Turkey, Russia, etc.

#2940 dobro1229, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    FranchiseBlade likes this.