1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Horry: I don't want to watch the Rockets. Especially James. Thats not fun basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, Jun 5, 2017.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Yeah - if I remember correctly, that Pistons team was similar to a lot of the offenses of the time...hand it to your best player and get out of the way. No telling what Hill could do in an offense like the Spurs' today. I don't think Hill could touch Kawhi on defense though. I see it as a wash overall...both would be MVP caliber players in either era.

Easy likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And this is why the late 90's/early 00's late Jordan-Allen Iverson-Shaq era is widely celebrated as the purist, best era in NBA history.

3. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Tbh. Big Will Smith is a winner.

4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

i dont know about that. guys would've signed to play next to Jordan, not Robert horry, he probably could have won more, you never know. he didnt start winning until he was almost 30.

5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

so was Robert horry. he was a career 34% 3 pt shooter. and I do seem to recall Trevor Ariza and even Patrick Beverly hitting some pretty clutch shots. They just dont get the opportunity to take that kiss of death shot often considering it's going to go through harden first. the rockets never make it deep in close games against good teams, and harden really does not draw double-teams in the playoffs against elite defenders like Shaq and Kobe.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Shouldn't be an issue watching ESPN, then. You ain't getting any information from them as it is.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, I know what you mean. I am not sure that is all Harden's fault. Morey designed this offense system. When we are hot, we blow teams out or at least win comfortably with a 10+ pts margin.

It rarely gets real close. I don't think Horry or Derek Fisher made all the clutch shots. They just made the memorable 0.8 seconds shots that every kid seem to remember.

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Harden averages less free throws per game than Lebron James or Michael Jordan in his career. Lebron, Jordan, Barkley, West, Durant, Westbrook, Iverson and Wade have all averaged 10 free throws a game in a season. But sure, Harden (10.9) is the one guy in history who shoots too many free throws. Go with that.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow newbs don't understand anything about Horry.

The entire point of him was how well he complimented great centers and big men an how he hit important shots in the playoffs.

It's not about his shooting percentage. He's not defined by entire seasons, he's defined by his post season.

where did all these dumb newbs come from?

xtruroyaltyx and rm365 like this.
  10. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Agreed. Much better offense. His drives were very hard to defend. His crossovers were lightning. He moved around as quick as a fast guard, say Iman Shumpert, but he was 6'9 with great finishing ability.

If he played in today's ticky tack foul league, he would tear it up with his relentless drives to the rack.

11. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I agree with the overall message of your post... Post game is gone in the NBA, too many chucking of threes, etc

However, I will say that Durant is very good in the post. He's good everywhere offensively.

LeBron too, at least historically. In seasons past he has had a very good fadeaway shot.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

His opinion is that the way Harden plays is not fun to watch.

Ok.

Where did he say he's wrong for playing the way he does?

Not liking something does not mean you don't understand why it's being done.

I don't like the way Harden looks for the call instead of the bucket sometimes either....but I get why he does it.

tinman likes this.
  13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

both are good, but not great. I've never seen other one take over the game in the post like many other past superstars

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the use of logic in your post

15. lionaire

lionaire Member

Steph draws a foul on a 3- "WOW WHAT A CRAFTY PLAY"

Harden does it - "OMG FU*KING FLOPPER"

tinman likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Moses Malone's game was ugly as hell. But he got the job done.

Compared to Moses, Harden's game is like swan queen.

Just saying.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven't read all the thread, and someone has probably already said this, but I'll say it anyway - has Rob completely forgotten the relentless criticism the Rockets and the Knicks received for their "ugly" style of play the year the Rocks won their first championship?

I thought we played exciting basketball, with Rudy brilliantly using the rules as they were and the players we had in order to win. Good enough to give Rob a ring. Yet what James is doing within the rules isn't "fun basketball?" Give me a break, Robert. Better yet, recall some of your own history and give James Harden one.

SamFisher likes this.
  18. caneks

caneks Rookie

Harden, Westbrook, Iverson are similar type of players, unlike the rest of your list.