1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Griffin III

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockbox, Sep 24, 2011.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The big schools really whiffed on Griffin by not even offering.

Looking back at Texas 2008 class - in which they opted not to even have a QB - which he would have been a part is pretty awful, as "Athletes" you see names like Brock Fitzhenry, Antoine Hicks who have never seen the field or made it to campus in Hicks case....yet RGIII couldn't get a sniff? Terrible. Probably the worst UT recruiting class since 2006.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Freakish athlete, cannon arm, very careful with the ball, knack for making the big play, etc.

I don't expect Griffin to make it in the NFL as a pure QB. He strikes me as someone who will have a career like Antwaan Randle El.

Not hating, in fact, I'm being complimentary of him.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

RGIII was not very accurate in high school. He only completed 56 percent of his passes. He ran for more yards than he passed for. This year is a culmination of good coaching/player development and RGIII's smarts/hardwork. I'm sure a lot of schools wanted him as an athlete but he probably wanted a guarantee that he would get to play quarterback.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Can you imagine him with 5 star talent??...Just hope he uses the exposure Baylor has to his advantage like TCU's Andy Dalton did..

5. rockbox

His receivers are as good or better than anyone Texas has had the last two years.

6. SamFisher

Well, considering that Texas other QB choice that year was basically no one, that doesn't sound like a valid excuse. Hell they were letting John Chiles pretend like he was a QB at the time.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think you might be underestimating his drive and work ethic. He has all the tools to be a productive QB in the NFL.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If anything, I'm overestimating his drive and work ethic. He's going to play in the NFL, I just don't see him as a full-time QB. For somebody to make the switch from college QB to WR/HB/whatever in the pros takes quite a bit of drive and hard work. He's going to be a professional football player, one way or another. I have no doubt about that.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Since when???

10. rockbox

Colt was still here and everyone knew Gilbert was going to commit. I wish we offered him too. We may have not had to endure last season's disaster.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I was always impressed by Griffin when UT played Baylor. Baylor always seemed dangerous against UT, especially when Griffin was on. You could tell he was a good player, but his injuries kept him off the field for most of his seasons. It's good to see him at this high of a level, and hopefully injuries won't ruin his season again.

12. SamFisher

And this strategy proved disastrous in the Rose Bowl 2010. And beyond.

There's no positive way to spin Texas whiffing on Griffin - it was bad, lazy recruiting that seemed to characterize a lot of the post 2005 classes.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's so ridiculous, it's almost beyond belief. It's like Barry Bonds having more home runs than swinging strikes.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Like someone mentioned, there was no way Texas was gonna heavily recruit an "athlete" for the starting Qb position... Texas frankly doesnt have to.. They can go get a highly regarded "pocket" passer and go the customary route... Of course it's not a 100% proven theory

15. sammy

Kendall Wright could have went to UT. Reese is a track athlete with ridiculous speed. And Sampson is a damn good WR too. I thought we would miss Josh Gordon who stupidly transferred to Utah for a small suspension but we haven't skipped a beat.

16. SamFisher

And like I mentioned, this strategy was obviously incorrect, especially given that they had just done the exact same thing with John Chiles the year before.

Only Greg Davis could got through 3 years of Vince Young and take the lesson "well, let's go out and get some pocket passers only now to make our offense really go!"

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

having more TD's than incompletions in a game is fascinating enough...But to do it through 3 games is out of this world

18. sammy

Holtz was saying it's similar to batting over 400. Surely, he can't keep it up but that's how amazing of a stat that is.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Goodwin is a Olympic track athlete... Davis is gonna be a 1st round pick... The others just underperformed..... I think the ration of Baylor Wr draftees to Texas Wr draftees is an emphatic 200:1 ...Dont quote me on that

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

fixed