1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robbins at the National Press Club

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rimrocker, Apr 17, 2003.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Free speech does not inclulde the right to be heard.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

<b>"Hollywood Liberals Hate Free Speech"</b>

<i>by Kevin Willmann
    Wednesday, April 16, 2003 </i>

Actor/Director Tim Robbins hates free speech.

So does his long-term partner, Susan Sarandon, as well as Janeane Garafolo, Martin Sheen, The Dixie Chicks, Mike Farrell, Sean Penn, Michael Moore, Harry Belafonte, Ed Asner, Danny Glover, Chrissie Hynde, and other ''anti-war'' celebrities.

They only love free speech when they are using it to bash the military, President Bush, and America, both in our own media and overseas. However, when the American consumer, offended by their blame-America first rhetoric, reacts with petitions and boycotts, the words ''blacklist,'' ''undermining free speech'' and ''suppressing dissent'' are used by these celebrities.

Hollywood is scared, because it is getting the message where it hurts; in the wallet. Movie receipts for March were down 18 percent. Martin Sheen lost an advertising spot with Visa, and the Dixie Chicks may lose Lipton tea as the sponsor of their tour. Janeane Garafolo’s new ABC-TV show is now the target of boycotts. And then there is the duo of Sarandon and Robbins.

The couple has signed ''statements of conscience'' against both the war on terrorism and liberation of Iraq. They have spoken at rallies sponsored by communist front groups A.N.S.W.E.R. and ''Not In Our Name.'' At the Academy Awards, they flashed Winston Churchill’s ''V'' symbol, which the ''peace'' movement hijacked from the inspirational British leader. They used every public opportunity to push their views on the people of America, who gave them the gift of fame by supporting their work over the years.

Now Sarandon and Robbins are getting a response they don’t appreciate one bit. The United Way canceled a fundraising appearance by Sarandon after complaints by members, fearing the event would become divisive. Most recently, the Baseball Hall of Fame canceled a tribute to their 1988 baseball movie Bull Durham for the same reason.

Robbins used an appearance at the National Press Club on Tuesday to lash out at those of us who dared get uppity with celebrities like him. He accused the White House and conservative media of a conspiracy to silence dissenting voices. Additionally, Robbins also accused the President of fracturing unity after September 11, 2001 with the ''either you are with us or you are with the terrorists'' speech. All this outrage is because these two pampered celebrities didn’t get their egos stroked for some 15-year-old movie.

I’ve got some advice for you, Tim: ''Grow up, little man!''

First of all, who says you aren’t free to express your opinion? You aren’t spending time in some gulag for attacking the President. You are freely walking the streets of America shooting off your mouth everywhere you go. However, you cannot realize a simple fact, and one that explains why there are no successful liberal talk-shows. Most Americans don’t like hearing their country trashed.

But there is also Robbins’ hypocrisy in his rant. He whines about people trying to shut down voices of dissent. What about his threatening words to Washington Post columnist Lloyd Grove, after Grove wrote about Sarandon’s Republican mother?

''You wanted to be divisive and you caused trouble in my family,'' Robbins told the columnist, according to People Magazine. ''If you ever write about my family again, I will (expletive) find you and I will (expletive) hurt you.''

Gee, Timmy, sounds like you’re suppressing someone and it isn’t too peaceful! Robbins apparently has the same commitment to peace as fellow peace activists Sean Penn (assault and battery on a photographer) and Jackson Browne (beat up ex-girlfriend Darryl Hannah).

Robbins, Sarandon, and other celebrity activists need to learn one simple lesson: No one is saying they aren’t entitled to their opinions. However, if they choose to share them with the rest of us, they must be willing to take criticism. If they aren’t willing to do that, then they should borrow Martin Sheen’s roll of duct tape and cover their mouths.