1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rivals.com] Crazy Finish at Michigan HS Football Game

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GRENDEL, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The holder is down by contact, look at the white jersey touching his arm when recovering the ball.

2. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Doesn't have to be down by contact in HS and NCAA. If the player goes down or already is down with the ball then he is down.

3. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

You guys arguing whether the player was down/not down by contact/no contact are missing the point:

If the ref doesn't whistle it, it didn't happen.

The ref didn't whistle the play dead, which means it's a live ball. Period. Nothing else matters. The call on the field was correct.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

GTFO!

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So did they blow or not blow?

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

They blew... They blew hard.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is what it looks like to me.....but it may be that the holder has an exception.

DD

8. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Are you flippin serious??? If the ref doesn't blow the whistle it didn't happen? Thank goodness you're just a poster on an internet board...and even at that you might have one privilege too many.

No we aren't missing the point. We acknowledge they scored the touchdown. We are just trying to determine if the play should have been over once he grabbed the ball with his knee on the ground. If you want to be technical about it...then technically it wasn't the correct call imo.

9. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

I agree as well. Too close to call, so TD.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What beats this one is a Pistons home game 2-3 years ago where the OPPOSING TEAM (who was ahead) inbounds the ball with about 1 second left. Somehow Rasheed Wallace got his hands on the ball at half-court and threw up a shot that won the game at the buzzer for the Pistons. IIRC, if the inbounds passer had just rolled the ball on the floor, a Pistons player wouldn't have had time to pick it up and toss it.

But this highlight, which is more famous, was awesome too. Calvin Booth wished he could have disappeared.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXnNZjM9BRc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXnNZjM9BRc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pretty good. How much did he sign for again?

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Apparently he did, and replaced himself with Michael Ruffin :p

13. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

You're telling me that the kids should have hit the completely defenseless holder, who had his back to the field, and was making no motion to run, because they didn't hear a whistle? Then I'm sure you're fine with this move (though since this is a Houston board, odds are, people are ok with it).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXG74PFs4N8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXG74PFs4N8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Explain to me again how this is good for the game of football? The referees have a responsibility to protect the players; they should have blown the play dead, or made some indication that the ball was live.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks.

My bad on mistaking Ruffin for Booth. Both were completely worthless scrubs on the Wiz for a couple of seasons back when Gilbert was burning things up.

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

ROFLMAO

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Uh, yeah.

How do they make an indication the ball is live? And furthermore, I don't think refs are even supposed to do that. That would be like helping the other team out. The refs job isn't to explain the rules of the game as the play is going on.

Also, I don't see how that video had anything to do with the high school play. That was a clear illegal late hit, which the referees threw a flag.

#36 DCkid, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  17. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Wow, overreact much? Yes, I'm serious: the call was not made on the field, and thus did not occur during the game. Whether or not the call should have been made is easy to debate from the comfort of an easy chair and a monitor, but on the field, during the game, refs make split-second decisions based on what they see. It is apparent to me that there was not enough visual evidence during the game to call into question whether or not the player was down by contact. Any other point is moot.

The kids made the mistake of assuming the play was dead based on their limited knowledge of the game. The refs certainly did not indicate the ball was dead (i.e. whistle) and the offensive coach didn't think it was dead (as evidenced by him telling his players to pick up and advance the ball) either. Seems to me the only people who think the play was dead are the losing team and posters to this BBS.

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The holder's knee looks like it is off the ground once he has control of the ball.

19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I dunno, man. Can't say I ever played organized football, but certainly played basketball where you didn't hear the whistle because of crowd noise. I don't see much of a difference in getting a late hit on a QB who's stopped playing, and lining up a blindside hit on a holder who was walking toward the sideline. Both seem like pretty dirty plays to me, even if one is a game saving play, and the other is a 15 yard personal foul.

You can say that the Houston hit obviously came after the whistle, and thus was dirty, while a hit in the HS game would have been legal, but the way everyone reacted, it SEEMED obvious that the whistle had blown in the HS game.

Something just doesn't seem right about a 230 pound lineman getting a free shot at the back of a guy walking away from the field of play.

I don't really have a point to argue, I suppose, moreso just arguing against people who say that the kids should "play until they hear the whistle". In football, it just seems to me that that kind of mentality is what causes so many injuries and dangerous late hits. Certainly the loss should be put on the head coach, but if the holder had broken his collarbone from a blind hit, I'm sure the coach would be blamed for teaching his players to be "thugs" and "cheap-shot artists".

20. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I didn't want to create a new thread just for one video, and since there were a couple of football fails in this one I figured I would just post it here.

Is this one of the worst football fails you guys have seen because I have never seen this before?

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/314_1257030236"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/314_1257030236" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>