1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rivals.com] Crazy Finish at Michigan HS Football Game

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GRENDEL, Oct 13, 2009.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001233

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jFWIzoxYQ4s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jFWIzoxYQ4s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

October 13, 2009

Dallas Jackson
    Rivals High Senior Analyst

Have your own story, let us know: Ideas@RivalsHigh.com | Follow RivalsHigh on Twitter
    Quick lesson in high school football. The game isn't over until the official blows the whistle on the final play.

Canton (Michigan) Plymouth High learned that the hard way earlier this month.

The school thought it had defeated Westland (Michigan) John Glenn when it blocked a last-second field goal attempt. But when its players ran off the field in celebration, none of the players realized that the ball hadn't crossed the line of scrimmage and was still in play.

No official had blown the ball dead.

So while Wilson celebrated, John Glenn's Tony Wilton alertly picked up the ball and ran 33-yards for the winning score.

It's a play, Wilton will never forget. Here's how it went down.

John Glenn trailed Plymouth, 28-27, with eight seconds left when it lined up for a potential game-winning field goal.

Wilton, a senior, is also the holder for field goals.

As the play unfolded, two onrushing Plymouth defenders dove and blocked the Ryan Lopez kick, which would never cross the line of scrimmage.

The Plymouth team erupted in jubilation of the last-second heroics.

Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the play was not over.

Wilton alertly scooped up the ball and took off running and 33-yards later he had scored his first career touchdown and won the game, 33-28.

"I heard somebody say 'run.'" Wilton told The Observer & Eccentric following the game. "There were (Glenn) guys in front of me and they (Plymouth) all ran off the field. They thought the game was over.''

Plymouth coach Mike Sawchuk was not at all satisfied with how the final play was officiated.

"They (the officials) blew the whistle and the clocked stopped - everybody stopped,'' he told the paper. "They wouldn't give me an explanation."

The Plymouth players shouldn't feel too badly about it. After all, in a sense, they were just copying the pros.

Remember Leon Lett's famous Thanksgiving Day gaffe that cost the Cowboys a win over the Dolphins.

Sawchuk wants no part of that - or being an Internet sensation. He just wants what he feels his team earned: A victory.

"It's something that's a protest in my eyes,'' he told the paper. "We won the game. We played our tails off and they (Glenn) should not be happy with the win.''

The "protest" is so strong that the team's official website has yet to record a final score of the game.

Wilton, however, has his moment and his own memory.

"I didn't hear any whistle and I thought nothing of it."

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

man, talk about sour grapes. Coach your players to play the game right and maybe you would have won.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Watch closely when the holder picks up the ball. His knee is on the ground and his is in contact with the Plymouth player. He's down.

4. Convictedstupid

Lawl.

I didnt hear a whistle in the video. I dont know what the coach was talking about.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My favorite recent finish is the missed FG that was fielded like a punt in the endzone then ran out to like the 5 and dropped in celebration. The other team picked up the ball and walked in the 5 for a TD to end the game.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That was indeed awesome. :D

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Here it is: Skip to 1:30 for the start of it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lYWaA8OqF-s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lYWaA8OqF-s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Indeed. It's rule #1 of football: You play 'til the whistle blows. The play was not called dead. It's not the refs' fault or the other team's fault if you didn't 1. Pay attention and 2. Know the rules.

9. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

^^^^

LOL FAIL

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

These sorts of snatch-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory plays only happen in football. Rules are not as straight-forward as in basketball. The worst you get in basketball is players calling time-outs they don't have or shooting on the wrong goal. Ok, the latter is pretty bad.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

12. ClutchCityReturns

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5bqF4VDSx4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5bqF4VDSx4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. ClutchCityReturns

I also thought it was funny how the announcer was making #87 out to be some sort of ultra-aware, genius football player when it was clear that he didn't know what the hell was going on until he saw his coach yelling and flailing his arms wildly on the sideline.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What a stigma for a school to carry around for a long time to come. Wow!

15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'm not so sure he's touching the player anymore once he picks up the football.

16. ClutchCityReturns

I'm not sure that matters in HS football. If his knee is down when he picks up the ball (and it looks like it might be) then the ball is dead, isn't it?

Either way, it's too close to call and the players have to go off of the whistle regardless. Crazy finish.

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Depends on the state. I remember my HS (in Texas) losing a game in Louisiana because of a difference in state rules. Down 6-7 late in the 4th qtr, they called a fake field goal. The fake was successful, but the rules regarding fakes were different in Louisiana, so the guy was ruled down.

It's been so long so I don't remember all of the details.

18. Angle02

Angle02 Member

The player was down when he picked up the ball when his knee was down. I know you can fake the field goal and step up from the knee being down. But once it was kicked and blocked then that goes out the window....iirc

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i don't think his knee was necessarily down. I watched it closely...I think it's at least possible that his knee had a little air under there as he was in the "standing up" state, with all his weight on his left leg.

Basically I don't think it's 100%.. I wouldn't call that overturnable if it was the NFL and a challenge

20. ClutchCityReturns

Exactly how I feel about it.