1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Kentaro Miura (author of Berserk)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Beezy, May 20, 2021.

1. Beezy

Beezy Member

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is my alltime WTF anime and the only one that makes want to read the manga source , I need to find out what happened after the chick went insane.

saitou likes this.
  3. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Dang.. I'm super inspired by Miura's art. Loved the crazy double page spreads and attention to detail. Despite how messed up the Black Eclipse chapters were, they had some of the most defining artwork of the series. Also have the image of Berserker Armor Guts ripping a demon apart with his mouth burned into my brain.

I'll have to re-read the series as a tribute!

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn...RIP

He dropped a chapter every 6 months and still people read.

Kinda wished he didn't hand draw every scene, but it was what it was.

saitou and malakas like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What's a good inexspensive way to read the manga in english?

Maybe used books?

6. Aware

Aware Member

probably the goat manga.

1.berserk
    2. vagabond

thats the list.

Beezy and saitou like this.
  7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Man, Berserk is my favorite manga all time honestly. The art, story and characters influenced many others and anime.

Really sucks, Rest in Peace.

I wonder if his studio is going to carry on the story? Wow

Beezy, saitou and malakas like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

daaamn so young too. What a big loss. I started reading Berserk more than a decade ago. True art.

I worry that also Hunter x Hunter the other I have been reading so many years and wait for new chapters will never end up finishing.

Rodman23, Beezy and saitou like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

The most inexpensive way is to go on one of the pirate sites. They all have it.

jiggyfly and Jontro like this.
  10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Remembering Kentaro Miura, legendary creator of ‘Berserk,’ which inspired countless fantasy stories

[​IMG]
    (JOEL SAGET/AFP via Getty Images)
    [​IMG]
    By
    Gene Park
    Reporter
    May 20, 2021 at 10:22 a.m. CDT

Kentaro Miura, author and creator of the influential manga “Berserk,” died on May 6 due to acute aortic dissection, according to an official statement from publisher Young Animal Comics. He was 54.

Miura’s influence on modern fantasy writing and art can hardly be overstated. First started in 1989, “Berserk” is a serial dark fantasy story about a knight named Guts and his extremely big sword. While the series is most famous for its dark themes and violence, it has sold over 50 million copies arguably on the strength of its character work and its complicated intrapersonal relationships as much as its Hieronymus Bosch-inspired art style.

“Berserk” arguably started a visual trend that continued in heroes like Cloud Strife of “Final Fantasy VII” and Dante from “Devil May Cry.” Perhaps the most famous example of his inspiration is within the “Dark Souls” series by From Software, which borrows much of Miura’s monster design to create its own nightmarish hellscapes.

The “Berserk” story is most famous for its Golden Age arc, the second story in the series. The arc is arguably the series peak, telling the origin of the complicated hero-villain relationship of Guts and Griffith, the beautiful and charismatic leader of mercenaries who eventually becomes obsessed with Guts. The name of the arc belies its dark nature. To this day, when artists and creators think of “dark fantasy,” they often think of the Eclipse moment within the Golden Age arc, which makes the red wedding sequence of “Game of Thrones” feel like a tea party by comparison. The Golden Age arc has been adapted into anime and a film trilogy.

Thousands of players within the online role-playing game “Final Fantasy XIV” gathered online last night and this morning to pay Miura tribute. Many of those paying their respects are within the Dark Knight class, which was heavily inspired by “Berserk” and Miura.

“Berserk” may very well be a story that remains unfinished, as it is still ongoing today. Miura famously took long breaks (often measured in several years) in between story arcs. His readers were often very patient with these breaks, particularly since “Berserk” is more detailed and meticulously drawn (and planned out) than many standard manga works. It was a popular meme to guess what Miura might be up to during his hiatus, including his admiration for cute pop idol video games.

I’m a fairly recent fan of “Berserk.” Of course I had heard about how it inspired so much of the high and dark fantasy stories I’ve loved over the years, including the “Final Fantasy” and “Dark Souls” series. But I was hesitant to dive in because I was worried its influence on so many other works might’ve dampened its initial impact.

I was wrong. When I finally watched the anime a few years ago, it was as stunning and shocking as I imagined it would’ve been had I watched it in the 1990s. Beyond its extreme violence and sadness, there was aching beauty in how these characters wanted to be understood.

This feeling persisted as I read chapters after the Golden Age arc and grew to love the members of the Black Swordsman Party, all of whom continue to chisel away at trauma to find a more peaceful existence for themselves. It was then that I realized “Berserk” isn’t about acting out in violence or using anger as a motivation, it’s about moving past the pain, just as Guts is able to find peace and laughter among his new band of friends.

It’s actually never too late to see why “Berserk” and Miura’s art and writing has endured throughout the decades, and will live on through the countless other fantasy worlds he’s inspired. Like “Berserk,” Miura’s ability to inspire and move entire universes may never end.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/05/20/kentaro-miura-death-berserk/

malakas, jiggyfly and saitou like this.
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

RIP. Berserk's story is so disturbing yet inspirational at the same time. When I was in Japan I bought a few of the books to keep as memorabilia. Miura really went beyond what he needed to do with the art work to sell books, so many beautiful and stunning panels every chapter. I read that to get all the detail in he drew on much larger sheets and scanned and shrunk the scans for publication. Much respect and thanks to Mr Miura.

malakas and Beezy like this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You get them all for free if you have a $2000 cell phone.

RIP

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

This. The writer is also very sick

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Hunter X Hunter is still going?

15. malakas

malakas Member

Well..it's officially on a hiatus due to author's health issues so yeah.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That series isn't finishing...

Hopefully there will be someone Miura trusted to wrap up berserk.

17. Beezy

Beezy Member

I need to replay the Dreamcast game sometime. I don’t remember much about it other than the great soundtrack.

[​IMG]

18. Buck Turgidson

Did you say Berzerker?

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Y'all have a much different idea of Berserk than I do...